Choosing the right exhaust for my FE GTS

RacerRich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just took delivery of my new 02 FE GTS and all I can say is what a car! I was all ready to pick up an SRT until I saw a silver with blue stripes GTS at the Mopars at the Strip event here in Vegas. Simply breathtaking, and I don't usually care for silver sports cars. I knew this was the car for me. Every time I look at it I seem to find an even more beautiful and mesmorizing angle.

It was the last new FE GTS available. I got it from Scotia Motors Dodge in Scotia, New York. Very smooth buying experience!

To get to the point, when the delivery guy first turned the car on to proceed lowering it down the ramp of the truck, I was not all the impressed. I think the V8 in my Suburban had more of a muscular rumble. That, compiled with the rather unfinished exhaust tips has persuaded me to to upgrade.

I have looked around and it seems there are 3 major brands that have these systems. Borla, Corsa, and Billy Boat.

First let me start with exhaust tip looks.

I don't really care for the exhaust tips of the Borla, I LOVE the exhaust tips on the CORSA, and I really don't know what exhaust tips come with the Billy Boat.

In the latest VIPER Magazine, B&B has an ad with a picture showing their aftermarket exhuast on a GTS. The shape is similar to the Corsa, which is what I like. But at their website, they have a sound bite video with a GTS that has a Corvette C5 looking exhaust. In other words the tips look like those on a stock (non Z06) C5. I think the C5 exhuast tips look like crap on a Vette, and even more so on a Viper. If someone can please clarify which tips the B&B comes with that would be great.

Now to sound and performance.

I want to hear the V10 roar. Nothing gets my adrenaline flowing like a roaring engine, so I am essentially looking for the loudest available. Performance also matters as well, which out of the 3 embodies the best performance and loudest roar? Also, since I want to pass emissions and be street legal, I am going to have the get the CATS---just to note.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance. Answers and advice is greatly appreicated.

Also, how do you get your status upgraded to Viper Owner? I put my VIN# in, both nothing happened. I will be getting my VCA# soon, so I will eventually alter that as well.

Rich :usa:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What number is your FE? I hope it's red and not silver..all the FEs are red w/ white stripes.

V10s don't sound like V8s, so don't expect to get a V8 performance car type sound.

But you can improve upon it with one of the catback systems. I don't think any of the catbacks has proven to produce more HP than the rest of them.

I've got a new Borla system waiting to go on my FE.

Enjoy!

:)

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone has a preference. I'd highly recommend that you go to a VCA meeting out there (I see you are already a memebr) and listen to the exhausts on the cars out there.

Some people like Borla...

Some like Corsa...

I have Borlas with no cats and it is _quieter_ than another car I heard with no cats and Corsa!

Personally, I don't like the Corsa as much as the the Borla...

In fact, [not that anyone cares b/c this is just opinions] if I had to rank the 3 I've heard most frequently, I like them in this order:

Random Tech (just added this to the list)
Borla
Corsa

And I've _heard_ that the B&B sounds awesome too... but I've never heard it in person.

send a note to LethalBite on the board... we just did his 2000 RT/10 with Random Tech hi-flows and cat-back. He has a nice sound file he can send you so you can hear the exhaust note if you like...

Good luck!

JD

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RacerRich, I've been doing an exhaustive :D study on this myself. I just cleared the way with a local Viper Tech yesterday to do the install of the exhaust and a few other things. I'm going with B&B. Actually, I've never seen or heard it in person. I have however discussed the various systems with many members of this board both privately and publicly. There was a thread on here not too long ago re: B&B. The Random Tech is rather similar to B&B (w/ different tips) I believe. Corsa "should" be the quietest option of the four. The original Borla is/was rather loud. Not sure on the new Borla as it now has 4 resonators/mufflers like Corsa. B&B and RT have two. Check out Sean Roe's site and his description of B&B, I found it helpful.

Good luck and I'll be watching this thread as well. I'm finally ready to pull the trigger, buy a system and get it installed. Can't wait! :D

OP
OP
R

RacerRich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys so far for the responses. It is car # 355. I had to look far and wide to find a "no mile" new FE GTS. Most had around 50-300 miles, which translate to a joyriding toy for the dealer. Mine only had 8 miles upon delivery. I really looked hard for an ACR, but Nelson wanted too much (sticker) and the one at Tubbs sold before I could get to it. All in all, I am happy I went with the GTS. The wheels look AWESOME (pictures do not do them justice!) and I prefer standard seatbelts over the harnesses in the ACR.

sparty116

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much sound is added by adding high flow cats to an aftermarket exhaust system?

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely go listen to them in person if possible. I heard the Corsa's and didn't like it. I wanted a lower rumble, which is why I went with Borlas (the old one, with only two mufflers).

I thought the Borlas were louder... J Dell, I think you and I have been sniffing too many garage fumes. Our hearing impressions are opposite from each other's :)

I used to have Borlas with no cats, and I thought it was too loud. I added high flows, and the sound is just right for me...

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RacerRich,

Congrats on the FE. :headbang: As for exhaust, I have the B&B with Random hiflo cats. I think the sound level is perfect. Not too loud for long trips but enough to get you noticed. As for the sound quality, I am extremely happy with the sound. You really want to go to a viper event and hear all of the different systems. Everyone has their preference. Good luck :cool:

Bandit400