Chrome Gas Cap Door

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i took mine off,dissasembled it,stripped the plastic coating off it and polished just the cover to a mirror finish.I then primed and painted the bottom half a semi gloss black.reassembled and it looks sweet.my cost ....mayby $20.00...a little labor intensive but well worth it.i will post pics soon.if anyone likes,i will do the same to yours for around 50.00 or so.:dunno: :headbang:

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had my cap chromed by R&J, the only "bling" mod I'll likely make and it's well worth the money.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have bought lots of stuff from Ron. They even chromed my Roe blower tubes, hood hinges etc...

Go for it!

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like those MGW gas caps, seems a bit much to me, with the snake on the cover. Plus it is twice the price of just rechroming mine.

But I did get the MGW license plate frame.

I did order the chrome cap and I should get it this week, will let everyone know how it turns out.

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know the gas cap on the Viper GTS is almost exactly like the ones on the AC Cobra. I don't understand why anyone would want to replace it with an aftermarket one. It's one of my FAVORITE parts on the Viper. It screams 60 Muscle era!!!

MGWLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like those MGW gas caps, seems a bit much to me, with the snake on the cover. Plus it is twice the price of just rechroming mine.

But I did get the MGW license plate frame.

I did order the chrome cap and I should get it this week, will let everyone know how it turns out.

i know that some of the colors can be too much if you want a subtle look so we also offer a 3d 2 tone version that is VERY classy.

i know the price is alot but you have to remember this is a complete replacements not just the lid. the base, lid, gasket, hinge, locking assembly and installation tools :2tu:

here is a pic of the new 2 tone...

You must be registered for see images

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know that some of the colors can be too much if you want a subtle look so we also offer a 3d 2 tone version that is VERY classy.

i know the price is alot but you have to remember this is a complete replacements not just the lid. the base, lid, gasket, hinge, locking assembly and installation tools :2tu:

here is a pic of the new 2 tone...

Holy shiny stuff!!! :omg:

:2tu:

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had my cap chromed by the local chroming co and it does look great, but I love the advice about the black base, will try stripping off everthing sand lightly to key and try it, I have a spare base.

I found the later plastic pin type hinge and catch to be a pain in the butt to dismantle as it was hard to put pressure on the square headed pin, in fact I broke my spare cap catch trying, my next purchase of a cap from Ebay for $30.00 had all brass pins and was much easier to disassemble without any damage.

Thats how it went to the platers, now where's that black paint, or powerdercoat would look nice.

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, seems this is not as simple as planned.

After waiting for about 10 days they say they tried to ship it to me and it got returned. I got no notification, no tracking number even though I called repeatedly to get it.

And today they are no longer answering their phones. Any idea how big this company is?

But on a more positive note I did receive the MGW license plate frame which by the way looks awesome, highly recommended to all.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know the gas cap on the Viper GTS is almost exactly like the ones on the AC Cobra. I don't understand why anyone would want to replace it with an aftermarket one. It's one of my FAVORITE parts on the Viper. It screams 60 Muscle era!!!

I have to agree 100%. I haven't seen a gas cap yet that, though they show incredible effort on the part of whoever's making them, are any better than OE. You might as well add the stainless overlays over the taillights and valve covers to your car while you're at it..

Some Vette guys at a local cruise were just commenting/laughing about some old fart who had all kinds of bling(?) add-ons on his late model Vette two weeks ago.

Just don't.
http://www.geocities.com/vipergaragesale/index.html

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, seems this is not as simple as planned.

After waiting for about 10 days they say they tried to ship it to me and it got returned. I got no notification, no tracking number even though I called repeatedly to get it.

And today they are no longer answering their phones. Any idea how big this company is?

But on a more positive note I did receive the MGW license plate frame which by the way looks awesome, highly recommended to all.

I got my chromes gas cap from them. I love it on my car. Looks great, a but a bit of a pain to install. Be ready to wrestle with a coat hanger. :rolaugh:

Just dont expect it to be 100% perfect. It's 99% because of the metal used. There is some slight pitting. It's VERY minor, and not noticable unil you inspect with a magnifying glass.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking outside the box.

Here is my anti-bling alternative. GTS gas cap and wheels painted to match the car.

Don't get your painties in a bunch that I painted a perfectly good gas cap and wheels. My orginal cap and the set of used wheels I bought had failing clear coat so I used them for my anti-bling theme. I've never liked polished/chrome with silver so this was my solution.

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally received it and then returned it because the surface looked so pitted it seemed like they did not polish it first.

Unfortunatelly, the cap is made out the cheapest aluminum possible. As you polish it, you will notice that little holes open up. It looks like it is made out of swiss cheese.

So needless to say, the result is far from perfect. The surface of the cap may not be the best for chroming.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally received it and then returned it because the surface looked so pitted it seemed like they did not polish it first.

Unfortunatelly, the cap is made out the cheapest aluminum possible. As you polish it, you will notice that little holes open up. It looks like it is made out of swiss cheese.

So needless to say, the result is far from perfect. The surface of the cap may not be the best for chroming.
Maybe we just got a different batch... mine was well over 99% without pitting. There was some pitting, but not noticable 2 ft away... which still looks a million times better than the peeling clearcoat.

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After another day of polishing with my Dremel I am starting to think the pitting was just improper metal preparation.