Chrome or Polished Wheels?

dgt1031

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any pros or cons to either finish? I am getting wheels and wanted some opinions.
Thanks

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this does not help much but sometimes it depends on the rim.... i had stock 20s on my srt8 jeep...they were polished and looked great....On the viper i prefer the h rims which imho opinion look better chromed... the polished look on the h rims was nice but harder to clean...
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/613880-calchrome-h-rims.html

if u decide on aftermarket rims then make sure u go with 20/19 combo if the rim has a decent size lip.....if u stay with 19/18 stock sizes on a rim that has a lip then the wheels may look to small
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/613889-ccw-sp18-wheels-installed.html

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do yourself a big favor. Get chrome rims! They look better, much easier to keep clean, they shine more, you dont have to rub them out once a month, brake dust wont adhere like it does on polished rims. They may be more expensive but there worth it.

Bo knows

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll go against the grain and say that I think polished is a better choice. If you happen to curb or scuff a chrome rim, you have no choice but to re-do it ($$), whereas you can always sand/buff out almost anything on a polished rim. Also, although slight, chroming adds weight to a wheel. Unless you can't kneel down to polish your rims once in a while, let Cadillacs have the chrome.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll go against the grain and say that I think polished is a better choice. If you happen to curb or scuff a chrome rim, you have no choice but to re-do it ($$), whereas you can always sand/buff out almost anything on a polished rim. Also, although slight, chroming adds weight to a wheel. Unless you can't kneel down to polish your rims once in a while, let Cadillacs have the chrome.

I would have to say that the chrome doesn't add but maybe a pound for all 4 wheels.
I would not let that steer your decision.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ULLLOSE, those Forgelines look great with the anthracite center. When I heard "chrome" I was thinking he was referring to the entire wheelface.

Still holds true what I said about scuffing the lip, though, especially for a rim with virtually no tire sidewall to protect it.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agree 1000%!

Chrome are TOAST if you curb them and you definitely will.

Get Polished without clearcoat and it is a much easier repair. If the wheels have clearcoat it can yellow over time and I believe that if you curb the wheel the clearcoat needs to be stripped and replaced.

I have also heard that Chroming weakens the wheel to some extent.

Are the stock 2008 Viper wheels polished?

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ULLLOSE, those Forgelines look great with the anthracite center. When I heard "chrome" I was thinking he was referring to the entire wheelface.

Still holds true what I said about scuffing the lip, though, especially for a rim with virtually no tire sidewall to protect it.

thanks, forgeline calls it "Gun metal" (low gloss).
You know i guess i just assumed that he asking about the outer lip...................maybe he was talking about the whole wheel:dunno:

Yes you are very right about curbing/scuffing the rim, but i guess i will take my chance and hopefully never will. I have never curbbed any wheel in my life of driving for 16 years
so.............

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea i actually curbed a 20 aftermarket chrome rim on a x5.. nasty scratch on the side but after some polish the shine hid the scratch and it was barley noticable.... now the scratches on polished rims stick out like a sore thumb

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yea i actually curbed a 20 aftermarket chrome rim on a x5.. nasty scratch on the side but after some polish the shine hid the scratch and it was barley noticable.... now the scratches on polished rims stick out like a sore thumb

Wallbanger---you still have those 5 stars i sold you? Just wondering.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, they are coming off the car probably this saturday and are already sold

those forgelines look perfect on your car

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score

...which would be why you hsve the scratch on the polished wheel polished out by a professional so it is gone!!

My comments relate only to the maintenance/repair of wheels. Each to his/her own in terms of looks.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chroming weakens the wheel?...now that's a new one

I had heard only anecdotal references to this, too, but then I found that NO auto manufacturers offer chromed aluminum rims from the factory (not talking dealer-installed stuff). Ever wonder why? I was also surprised to learn that the TUV (German safety certification body) doesn't allow it. Mopar offers "chrome cladding" on some rims, but it is a plastic facia, not the actual chroming of the rim.

"When Chrome plating a light alloy wheel, the wheel must first be anodized (cooper plated).
The difference in EMF (Electro - Motive Force) values between copper and aluminum results in electrolytic corrosion with aluminum being the sacrificial metal. This WILL result in WEAKING of the base metal as well as poor adhesion of the subsequent plating,and thereby premature flaking of the chrome finish.
Wheels of cast light alloy,with their porus surface, are even more susceptible to this condition than those of Forged light alloy."

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good in theory but how many rims have "failed" due to a chroming process

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had heard only anecdotal references to this, too, but then I found that NO auto manufacturers offer chromed aluminum rims from the factory (not talking dealer-installed stuff). Ever wonder why? I was also surprised to learn that the TUV (German safety certification body) doesn't allow it. Mopar offers "chrome cladding" on some rims, but it is a plastic facia, not the actual chroming of the rim.

"When Chrome plating a light alloy wheel, the wheel must first be anodized (cooper plated).
The difference in EMF (Electro - Motive Force) values between copper and aluminum results in electrolytic corrosion with aluminum being the sacrificial metal. This WILL result in WEAKING of the base metal as well as poor adhesion of the subsequent plating,and thereby premature flaking of the chrome finish.
Wheels of cast light alloy,with their porus surface, are even more susceptible to this condition than those of Forged light alloy."

Ahh, what he said!

Basically, when you start shocking and baking the wheels it can weaken them.

Is it likely to happen on the way to Starbucks? NO. Could it happen in 120F HPDEs as Willow Springs in the Summer? Probably not, but maybe... . So, add repair issues and strength issues, and my first choices are non-clear coated polished or painted alloy wheels. Again, each to his or her own!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I won't argue your theory, as I have over 25 years in engineering in the chemical industry.

But if this electrolytic corrosion reaches a depth of a few mils or so, who cares? I mean, there's a lot more metal there that ain't affected.

Like was posted above, anyone ever heard of a wheel failure lately? ANY wheel failure? Chrome or not?

I'll risk it, because my new wheels I'm close to buying will be CHROME BABY!!!

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone ever heard of a wheel failure lately? ANY wheel failure? Chrome or not?

Check the Corvette Forum, Autocrossing/Roadracing Section for wholesale failure of an OEM rim at Willow Springs--center completely ripped out from all spokes about 30 days ago. There was also a street failure about 6 months ago.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is expected with vettes and there is no way i'm checking out a mutual ************ site like a vette forum

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Polish...

Mothers power ball with a two thin coats of wax. I only have to polish my wheels every 3-4 months on my daily driver using this method.

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had 3 sets of full polished wheels before, and I went chrome for the ease of maintenance.