Chrome Smooth Tubes Installation Question

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the installation of the chrome smooth tubes is rather simple and straightforward. I believe all there really is to do is to remove the stock tubes and slide the silicone adapters on to the throttle bodies and airbox. However, I remember reading a while back that some type of lubricant or oil is needed in order to facilitate the fitting of the silicone adapters onto the throttle bodies and airbox. Now my question is, is there any particular type of lubricant or oil I need to use? Also, are there any other tips to make this installation as easy as possible? It seems that it should be a very tight fit considering that these tubes and silicone adapters do not require any clamps to hold them in place. I don't want to force them on and damage them nor do I want them to fall off while driving, so I will ask for a few tips first before I tackle this immense project. ;)

Thanks in advance. :2tu:

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most people I know just use liquid dish soap. It's what I used to install the halltech on my old vette.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you really need lube; what you need to do is unbolt your airbox so you can move it toward the front of the car just a little. Then once you get the connectors over the throttle bodies you can move it back into place and tighten it back up.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you really need lube; what you need to do is unbolt your airbox so you can move it toward the front of the car just a little. Then once you get the connectors over the throttle bodies you can move it back into place and tighten it back up.
I agree, however, I found that the chrome tubes are WAY too long which causes them to be too close to both the air box and t-bodies so that you do not get much if any flex from the couplers at all and the air box-to-tube transition is not smooth. While I still had my stock radiator I cut a full two inches off the t-body side of my chrome tubes and then when I went to a thicker radiator and had to move the air box a bit I cut another inch off. Now I have an inch of more of coupling on either end of the steel tube to allow for flex. You can see how stubby they are now in this pic (notice how they are not jammed on the air box as far as they can go):

You must be registered for see images

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just finished putting mine in this week. What i did was put the chrome tube in one of the silicone sleeves. Install it to the airbox first( push it on as far as it will go )Then put the other sleeve on and work it around the t.b. . Its a pita to get everything aligned right. And remember the short side of the bend goes toward the t.b's.

Robert

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog