Chrysler states I do not own my car!!

OP
OP
H

Harley561

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update:

The GM at MB Delray called me yesterday to let me know their attorney is in contact with Chrysler's attorney. They want to gather more details on the lawsuit and, per the GM, see how strong a case Chrysler has against the other parties.

He stated I should have word from him today or at the latest tomorrow regarding them either working on my behalf to get me out of this or taking the car back and refunding me.

Maybe they are finally realizing they have a problem. Guess we will see.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update:

The GM at MB Delray called me yesterday to let me know their attorney is in contact with Chrysler's attorney. They want to gather more details on the lawsuit and, per the GM, see how strong a case Chrysler has against the other parties.

He stated I should have word from him today or at the latest tomorrow regarding them either working on my behalf to get me out of this or taking the car back and refunding me.

Good news.:2tu: Whatever the resolution that doesn't actually cost you money is the best course.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a step in the right direction from Autonation. I would only want their "help" with the written understanding. That should their efforts on your behalf fail. They will assume all liability for any of your damages or loss.

I am sure that your attorney will explain that if after a reasonable period it can not be resolved. They should return your money and you return the car to them. After it gets worked out maybe you could buy the car back. If you haven't found something else.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great news Harley!

See of the MB dealer will swap you even for something MB with a V12 and and AMG badge on the back, say 2008 or newer. Then they can "figure it out" & you can drive :D

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This tread is like a soap opera....stay tuned... Best of luck to you in getting this settled.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since this is in FL (not unlike TX) this could be a novela on UniVision/Telemundo!

...where's the smiley face eating the chicharrones? I can only find the popcorn icon....much better looking girls on the novelas, much more risque'!...so I've been told.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's just hope he's not the one that gets screwed.

You win the award. I was waiting for that reply!!! Set-up - spike! Like Rodney Dangerfield once said, "The last time I had sex was in public when I got screwed in front of the judge and jury."

Let's hope that does not happen in this case. Best of luck.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
warranty of title (or words to that effect), and provision for recovery of atty fees to prevailing party in the event of a dispute over the contract.

Exactly. Any dealer HAS TO GuaranteeWARRANTY OF TITLE.. They have Insurance/dealer bond For this EXACT situation. They will have to subro. to whomever they paid off/previous owners(s),etc,etc. But the bottom line is, you are held harmless. You purchased the car per contract terms. And as boxer said.. This was never a stolen car. this is a contract issue only.

NOW if you bought this from the previous owner privately.. You'd have a real nightmare on your hands. And CFC could actually take the car back.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, that's great news! Hope it works out for you and you 1) keep the car free and clear or 2) get all your money back so you can by another Viper!

Btw, my car is from Florida!:omg:

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would the situation make the OP a "holder in due course"??? A term I vaguely remember from my business school days decades ago...

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would the situation make the OP a "holder in due course"??? A term I vaguely remember from my business school days decades ago...

"BFP for Value w/out notice" = bonafide purchaser for value without notice of any title problems. This legal theory offers some protection in California, but the warranty of title in the purchase contract is the first line of defense (and the source for reimbursement of legal fees). Of course, the issue is in Florida.

Hopefully this matter has come to a satisfactory conclusion. :usa:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't figure out when you bought this car, but check out the statute of limitations on collections for the car. If you are lucky, that could be the easiest way to get out of this mess.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I think they should refund your money AND let you keep the car for all of your troubles.

Not holding my breath, but thats how I see it:D

Ron

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I hope that tomorrow came, with good news, and you are out driving YOUR rightful Viper!

Update:

OP
OP
H

Harley561

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update:

My attorney is filiing a Motion to Dismiss today after many discussions with MB's attorney.

As a reminder for those joining late, Chrysler has two claims against me:

1) They seek a declaratory judgment as to the extent of CFC's security interest.

2) They seek replevin of the vehicle.

Apparently Florida statutory law dictates that a purchase money lien on an automobile cannot be enforced against a subsequent purchaser for value if (i) the lien does not appear on the face of the title and (ii) the purchaser does not otherwise have knowledge of the lien.

We cited a number of previous cases that support this.

CFC has admitted that its lien was not apparent on the face of the title certificate, that I was a purchaser for value in October 2010 and that I did not have any notice of the lien.

While we wait for a resolution, Mercedes has offered to provide me with a vehicle until a decision is made on the Motion.

In the meantime I will try and enjoy the photos of my mods and look forward to driving my car again one of these days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Harley561

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you sure you want to have the above location in your post?

If you are referring to my reference as to where my mods were done, I greatly appreciate the concern, but the car was picked up from there two days ago and now she is resting comfortably in a very secure location.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They know they are wrong. In my opinion. The rest of this time will be spent showing that they were acting in good faith. In case they may have to pay for your defense against their action.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to hear it's working out for you. And if MB gave you something interesting to drive during this time. I'd just try and have fun with something a little different while this all pans out.:2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang