Clacking Sound When Abruptly Unloading Drive Train

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen III makes a light clack sound when the drive line load is suddenly released (abruptly step off the gas while cruising, for instance). There's no slop in the u-joints and the rear end is new, so I'm thinking it might be something related to the engine torque reaction (engine and trans movement on their rubber mounts when suddenly unloaded). Car has a Corsa exhaust, so I'm wondering if anyone has had issues with the exhaust hardware or brackets moving with the engine torque twist and making a contact somewhere. Sound seems to be coming from under the drivers footwell area, or possibly the clutch area, but I know sound locations can be deceiving in a car. Are there any known issues with motor mounts breaking in these cars? My old 440 Charger R/T would snap the stock mounts easily, but then, that was a 40-year old design. The trans mount looks perfect on the Viper, but I haven't had a good look at the engine mounts yet.

The little clacking noise hasn't affected the driveability of the car other than being an annoyance, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has had this little feature and if they fixed it.

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All vipers have a clunk when loading or unloading the drivetrain. It depends on which gear your are in, mine are always in higher gears at highways speeds

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte