Cleaning/polishing 101

DMACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somewhat new to the club, but I just picked up my '03 Silver vert w/ 5k miles. The guy I bought it from was meticulous with his cars.

I wanted to get the 101 on caring for my new toy. I've been searching the threads on what is/are the best techniques and products to keep her looking good.

The threads cover the gamut and I'm not an uber-detailer looking for show quality polishing just want to keep her looking good for weekend drives.

I do apologize to our vendor friends but here is what I'm asking what products do you use that are readily available at our local merchants, ie Pepboys, Autozone...

Tell me what product you'd recommend and what procedure you'd use.

Towels
Soap: if used
Body: cleaner/polish
Bug/tar remover:
Wheels: This is the one I'm most confused by, there seems to be alot of debate: (I have the stock '03 10 spoke wheel) are they chrome, clear coated, polished???
Tires:
Windshield
Interior
:

Here is what the guy I bought it from reccommends:
Cobra Microfiber towels
Wolfgang Polish enhancer
Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint sealant
Mequirs quick detail
Orange Blast Wheel cleaner

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
DMACK

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just go to Sal Zaino on his websie, Zaino.com and he can answer any/all questions plus has about the best polish on the market for the best price...follow the claybarring, then polish etc....using the enhancer and it looks great....just my $.02

tim bob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have to agree with past ohio. when i bought my car i wanted to keep it shinny called zaino and ordered alot of products and love them.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all Welcome to the ViperNation.

You have perhaps the easiest color to keep clean, and in addition, it is also the color most product agnostic. Almost any polish/wax/cleaner works great on silver. Scratches show the least, and it even looks fantastic if dusty or a bit dirty.

Towels. Microfiber or cotton.

Soap: Most any automotive specific soap. Use Dawn if you wish to strip off all the old wax and prepare for clay treatment. (Only if finish feels bumpy from contaminants in the finish)

Body: cleaner/polish. Clay if necessary, or Meguiars or Zaino.

Bug/tar remover: 3M.

Wheels: Your wheels are a special clear coat silver. Be careful not to use abrasive cleaners, but most any wax will protect them a bit, and make them easier to clean.

Tires: Usually just wash with left over car wash at the end. Not a big fan of tire gloss products.

Windshield. Windex or Rainex.

Interior: Plain water, Damp cloth left over after washing car. No armorall. WIndex on inside of windows.

Enjoy your new Viper. Make sure you spend more time driving it than washing it.

Join your local club. The SoCal club offers a free day at Meguiars most every year. Free products, education, buffers, snacks and a fun day.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just go to Sal Zaino on his websie, Zaino.com and he can answer any/all questions plus has about the best polish on the market for the best price...follow the claybarring, then polish etc....using the enhancer and it looks great....just my $.02

i have to agree with past ohio. when i bought my car i wanted to keep it shinny called zaino and ordered alot of products and love them.

As an alternative, if you'd like to have some $ left over for ... well .... ANYTHING, we've got a site sponsor that makes extraordinary products that are moderatiely priced and he'll give you customer service that will not be beat. Take a look at some of his (Tito) work in several threads in this section.

Turbo Wax

No doubt he'll follow up your question here.

(As an aside, Zaino does not happen to consider the VCA worthy as an advertising media)

OP
OP
D

DMACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input that really helps. If heard some viper owners that have never washed their cars, instead they only use quick detail sprays. Wouldn't that lead to a wax build up over time?

Also does the fabric softener trick really work for removing bugs from the nose?

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input that really helps. If heard some viper owners that have never washed their cars, instead they only use quick detail sprays. Wouldn't that lead to a wax build up over time?

Also does the fabric softener trick really work for removing bugs from the nose?

I am a recent convert to the no-wash philosophy, on a trial basis. I never drive my car in the rain, so I have been Swiffering the road dirt off (works MUCH better than I thought it would). I then go over it with detail spray to get bugs etc. off, then spray wax. I don't think wax build up will be an issue. It ooks good but I can't tell if I am increasing the number of swirl marks. I plan on washing it every few weeks and reapplying a carnauba, probably Turbo wax. At some point I plan on getting Titos power swirl remover set and eliminating the swirl so I can tell if the method is working.

Does this sound like I am smoking crack with this method to anyone? Tito?

Tito Tw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DMACK

Hello, thank you very much for considering your forum sponsors:)

Tell me what product you'd recommend and what procedure you'd use.

Towels- High quality microfiber towels, I'm not sure if you can get them in the parts store, there's a huge difference between a $2.00 microfiber and a $10.00 one.

Soap: At one time I feel that you will need to wash the car, I suggest a car shampoo that is PH7, The one for $2.99 (one gallon) at the parts store will make your paint surface dull.

Body: cleaner/polish /

I think you may want to find which one you need and why.

Bug/tar remover: parts stores have many of them, some work others don't.

Wheels: This is the one I'm most confused by, there seems to be a lot of debate: (I have the stock '03 10 spoke wheel) are they chrome, clear coated, polished???

This one I suggest you do your homework, there's a LOT of wheel cleaners in the market and MANY of them will stain your wheels including well known brands.

Tires: if you get a good wheel cleaner it will also be good for the tires. there's no need to have two different products to handle this one task.

Windshield./ outside you can clay it OR wash and dried with a microfiber towel,inside damp microfiber /clean dry one.

Interior:

The interior is subject to UV rays, and this is what the biggest enemy of these surfaces is. you want a product that will it give your interior a protective coating to protect against the sun's UV rays which causes deterioration of the surface. (2) It keeps the surface soft and supple, unlike most products on the market which after a while causes the surface to dry out, then become brittle and start to dry crack over a long extended period.

If you change your mind and allow us the opportunity to earn your business, please send me a PM and I will put a custom package just to cover your needs. ;):drive:

I hope that at least you now have a baseline to start :)regardless of the products you choose.:)

BlackSnake99

This can be another thread all together :D:rolaugh::)

I have taken the liberty to re-direct you to this thread which I think has some information related to your question,you can ignore the photos and go straight to the info. If that don't help you lets open another thread and discuss further if you wish.

http://forums.viperclub.org/viper-detailing-tips-tricks/629331-question-tito.html

OP
OP
D

DMACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tito good advice, I'll send you a PM and you can tell give me your recommendation.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used the Zaino products and do agree they are great...so let me get that part out of the way first. The only paint related products I use right now are 2...

1. Adams. The shine you get if using all the steps properly AND you have a NICE car, is as good as Zaino. NO the butter wax will NOT last as long as Zaino, however Adams prodcuts are used MUCH faster and easier. You can wax your viper in minutes literally (minus the time to get stuff out of the cracks/edges.) the wax, detail spray and glaze can all be used in direct sunlight and you will not get that haze. I would prefer to drive the car instead of detailing it all day thats why i use what i use.

2. IBIZ (the yellow spray bottle) - this is the best CLEANER out there, by that i mean removing tar, rubber, bugs, anything that sticks to your paint, and it absolutely does not scratch your car. I dont' like the IBIZ wax personally but the cleaner for the side sills/behnd wheel wells, and under the rear bumper, this IBIZ is key.

Just putting my .02 cents in. Everyone is going to feel a certain wax is the best and i respect everyone's opinions. Just giving mine with good reason, not just because i think it "shines" the best.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy that washes and waxes my car uses Turbo Wax and Adams products. I have a skin problem on my hands so I have to limit my exposure to water and products.

I have to say I absolutely LOVE the Turbo Wax, when I walk outside after he's done to be honest I can tell which one he used. Here's a pic right after he got done. Once I tried it I was sold, ESPECIALLY on the wax so I made my detail guy buy some.

50K miles and still going strong, yes I have him wax it before DE events, I think it helps protect it a bit from all the oil and rubber from the track.

cell_phone_077.jpg

I ran into a thunderstorm/heavy rain later that day on my way to the track, it STILL was shiny even after all that. This is a pic I took when I stopped for gas.

cell_phone_079.jpg

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been a Zaino fan for years but something has changed in the past year or so with the Z-2 formula. With the last few cars I have Z-2'd, it has been VERY difficult to wipe off. Initially, I thought it was just the finish on the car, but I have now done three. I have to apply a lot of pressure and use circular motions to remove it, which ultimately results in swirl marks. I can remember applying Z-2 in the past and letting it sit for hours and easily wipe it off. Bad batch, or just the way it is now?

May try Pinnacle or Adams because I haven't been pleased with Z-2 as of late.

Tito Tw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what's so Great about our country :usa::2tu: Is all about choices, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having a preference in a product, if the price is ok, the customer service is good and the product performs well for you that's the way to go :)

silverz06vette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been a Zaino fan for years but something has changed in the past year or so with the Z-2 formula. With the last few cars I have Z-2'd, it has been VERY difficult to wipe off. Initially, I thought it was just the finish on the car, but I have now done three. I have to apply a lot of pressure and use circular motions to remove it, which ultimately results in swirl marks. I can remember applying Z-2 in the past and letting it sit for hours and easily wipe it off. Bad batch, or just the way it is now?

May try Pinnacle or Adams because I haven't been pleased with Z-2 as of late.

I say give Sal a call and see what he says. I go thru a bottle of Z2pro every 6-9 months with my business and have not had any issues. I do go thru Z5pro at twice to 3x the rate as most of the cars I polish are black and other dark colors.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte