Clutch Going Bad? How Do I Tell?

SNAKOIL VA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a '93 RT with 14,800 miles. I'm not the original owner, but since I've owned it from 8500 miles, it's been pretty much my weekend car and not driven very hard. OK, for the most part, it's a cream puff car. (I have another car I race.)

I made a pull out from an intersection while slipping the clutch a little. (Some chick in front of me decided to block the intersection while talking to a friend going the other way, so I had to let them know I was a little irritated with them blocking the road!) I didn't think my pull out was any more significant than others I had made, but this time I could smell the clutch burning. It took a few blocks for the smell to clear up. I was concerned that I damaged the clutch.

I've driven it twice since then with no repeating smell. I put the parking brake on an eased the clutch out and the smell returned.

At highway speeds, it seems to run and accelerate OK. RPM is the same,so I don't think it's slipping. Still sounds the same as well.

So my question is- How do I tell if the clutch is going bad?

What's the average cost for a Dodge dealer to replace the clutch?

Thanks!

RoyV101621

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Release the clutch in normal driving and mash the throttle to the floor. If the engine revs and the car doesn't go you have a bad clutch. The clutch is a wearable part just like brake linings.
Warranty.. You have got to be kidding. Right?

OP
OP
S

SNAKOIL VA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, under Total Care, it appears to be covered except the $50 deductible. It covers everything except what's specifically excluded. Clutches don't appear to be excluded.

So if the tires smoke, the clutch must be good? Must have gotten a critter sucked inside or something. :)

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just replaced the clutch in my GTS last week. Disc and pressure plate were right at $500. The tranny was out already to chase down an oil leak at the back of the motor. THAT was covered under extended warranty with a $50 deductible. My car has 17k miles on it and the lining was probably good for another 1500-2000 miles.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
clutches and tires not covered in extended warranty. Also they don't cover window tracks and seals.