Cold Air for Paxton S/C

OVERBOOST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my Paxton just sux's hot air from the engine. No good. I decided to make my own cold air setup. I mocked up with cardboard then made it out of sheet metal. What do you think?

You must be registered for see images

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like the idea. now id take it to a fabricator and have a nice aluminum one made up and maybe have it powdercoated.

but it makes a lot of sense

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would like to see before and after dyno numbers.
Could you post the dimensions/plans, I would like to try that on mine?

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great, really should cut down on the hot air. Kudos to you for doing it yourself.

It's actually very similar to the M2 airbox for the Roe setup (not the best angle here though).
MacedoAirbox.JPG

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great ! About time someone with that setup improved on the hot air feature. Some of the air filters on them seem way too small as well..

Though it's supercharged and all, you're still relying on the NACA duct to supply enough air. Which it doesn't do stock, and the NACA probably can't entirely keep up with a s/c's appetite.

Your box appears to shroud the bottom half of the round filter with its' apparent tight clearances. Maybe the pics don't accuately show how much room there really is..

Congrats on the innovation :)

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I called Doug Levin this morning. Turns out that's their own Paxton supercharger kit. The Paxton head unit is offset because they built their own bracket and such. So their cold air box won't actually fit the standard Paxton kit. I'm gonna move ahead building my own box as well. Gonna pull air from infront of the radiator, similar to the Doug Levin kit.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks great, really should cut down on the hot air. Kudos to you for doing it yourself.

It's actually very similar to the M2 airbox for the Roe setup (not the best angle here though).
MacedoAirbox.JPG

Notice that the front of the airbox is open above the radiator so that highpressure air goes into the front of the airbox, not just puny naca duct air.

My Larry Macedo Motorsports Airbox. Notice that it is also open at the front above the airbox to high pressure air. It also has double cone filters to cause less restriction when sucking the 'big air'. I added the Roe front facia scoop to increase the amount of cold air in front of the radiator available to the intake.

I like your box and give you Kudos for building it yourself! I'd suggest leaving the entire front edge open to the nose and try to figure a way to use 2 cone filters. I heard (on the other site) that nearly all big powered Paxton's lose 50hp to the air filter and most run without a filter.

Ted

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine isn't big powered, just the standard 7psi, but I still think there's goodness to be gained by bringing in cooler air from in front of the radiator. And I'll be doing as you showed, getting air from more than just the naca duct.

Is there any reason I shouldn't remove those plastic covers at the top/front of the radiator? Are they there to keep air going into the radiator (though it seems like puller fans would be enough)?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any air that goes past the rad and engine air intake is wasted air. Those plastic pieces deflect most of the air through the rad, I'd leave them alone.

Larry Macedo worked for J Hennessey for a few years and has also done his own research with Vipers. It's great having knowledgeable people that are willing to part with their knowledge and expertise. Larry knows what's what with the airbox and anyone who argues with what he's done on that particluar item needs a lot more resources that I have access to or they're just argueing stupidly. I know a lot, but I also know a lot of people that know more than I ... when I have a question.

If you want to improve your car some more (cold air and aerodynamically), add a Roe front facia spoiler kit to your car. That makes a huge improvement for just over $200. There's a thread and Dave666 also posted an Illustrated Upgrade. I'll add "paint your rivets body color." Piece of cake.

Ted

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.K, so here's what I did, similar to everyone else:
I made it out of cardboard first to create a pattern. Then I cut it out of aluminum. The center is one piece, bent smoothly around from front to back with a hole for the supercharger intake elbow to pass through and enough room in the back for air to pass all around the air filter. The side pieces were cut with extra tabs to be riveted to the center piece. The inside was painted flat black and the outside was covered with 400 degree heat sheilding. Wetherstripping seals the box to the hood.

OP
OP
O

OVERBOOST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!! Now mine looks like it came out of the trailer park. Well I guess I will have to make a better one when I return from Iraq. Great job MacManInfi.:2tu:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any air that goes past the rad and engine air intake is wasted air. Those plastic pieces deflect most of the air through the rad, I'd leave them alone.

Larry Macedo worked for J Hennessey for a few years and has also done his own research with Vipers. It's great having knowledgeable people that are willing to part with their knowledge and expertise. Larry knows what's what with the airbox and anyone who argues with what he's done on that particluar item needs a lot more resources that I have access to or they're just argueing stupidly. I know a lot, but I also know a lot of people that know more than I ... when I have a question.

If you want to improve your car some more (cold air and aerodynamically), add a Roe front facia spoiler kit to your car. That makes a huge improvement for just over $200. There's a thread and Dave666 also posted an Illustrated Upgrade. I'll add "paint your rivets body color." Piece of cake.

Ted

I can't share your enthusiasm Ted. I don't have a lot of resources, but I've done plenty of testing.

Because the inlet width of your airbox is narrower than the inlet width on the OE airbox and probably just wide enough for your NACA duct to sit into once your hood is closed, the NACA duct body is occupying 99% of the open space at the front of your airbox.

Meaning puny NACA duct air is the only air your airbox really does have access to, and there's no room for any high pressure air to enter.

The NACA duct opening isn't even large enough to supply all the air a n/a 8 litre engine needs. So how does your arrangement supply enough air for a s/c engine?

:crazy2: