Comp Coupe at 2004 Le Mans?

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doubtful, since there isn't a 800hp race engine for the comp coupe. The odds of privateers developing one without factory support are near nil. So if there IS a Viper at LeMans, it probably won't last two hours of racing.

Since the rules of the classes are changing, It wouldn't be cost-effective to develop a Viper in the GTS class, especially for a privateer effort. GTS is turning into the GT1 class of old. So the Viper moves in GT, where it gets heavily restricted and loses to Porsche GT3's and M3's.

If we want a Viper back in GTS, DC has to make a limited-production $600k Super Viper that they could use as a base. Expect cars to be more like the McLaren F1, Mercedes CLK GTR, Toyota GT-ONE, Nissan R390. All incredibly expensive cars with production runs of less than 200 vehicles.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both of you made very good points. After watching the ALMS race at Road America and hearing that there would be a 550 Maranello and a 360 Modena racing in GT class next year I made a phone call to the lead engineer in charge of the CC project on July 8th. I mentioned that this might open the door up for something other than 6 cylinder P cars. If they could run a V-12 couldn't we get a V-10 in there. Now the problem of weight, restrictors etc come into play as well as Porche whining once they start loosing. I know a street motor will not last 24 hours so there would need to be a lot of work done. But with a little work couldn't you make a package that could last the typical US ALMS race? The engineer said he would make some phone calls and see what the rules are for next year.

What else can we ask for.

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on a related front, stephane ratel (who runs the FIA GT) has gone back and approved the major chassis evolution (read: NOT new bodywork neccessarily) submitted by ORECA. he wants to make sure that the Viper, which he personally called "the backbone of the series", still remains competetive, especially amidst the onslaught of supercars entering the fray; zonda, carreraGT, etc. with the ACO and FIA finally coming back together to align rules packages, we may just be able to see where teams can use the new chassis evolution by ORECA outfitted with the new body/aerodynamic aspects of the comp coupe (using the production SRT 10 as the basis for homologation). it is definetely a possibility. i personally would hope that DC does what it takes to keep the Viper in the TOP GT class (GTS), even though costs are going to escalate a bit...see my topic on the subject (titled "the next step..."). but even if we have to settle for GT, as long as there are Vipers winning at LeMans/FIAGT/ALMS, i'll be happy!

pit

by the way, viperrick...thank you for really stepping out and making the effort to make a phone call and try to push the issue...guys like you are all integral facets of the Viper's continuing success story...

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll do anything to try to get more of the Comp Coupes (or that is racing Vipers)out to more venues. Really excited about this project.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen