Compatible OBD reader?

scottcot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to use this reader last weekend to pull some codes:

Equus 3120 - CanOBD 2&1 Tool KitTM | O'Reilly Auto Parts

and it wouldn't read anything on my 2004. The operating procedure was to plug it in, turn the car to on and press the -><- button on the reader, but then it just shuts down. The guy that loaned it to me couldn't figure it out either. Anyone tried this one and gotten it to work?

Doing the on-off-on-off-on sequence doesn't give me any codes, just dONE. I get 11 CEL flashes, so I'm assuming I'll get something from a reader but maybe not if this sequence doesn't give me anything?

Any recommendations on a consumer reader that's known compatible with the 2004?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
FYI, if you have considered an SCT flash tuner, they also will read and clear CEL codes. Might be more attractive if you happen to need both!

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eleven flashes or could it be 4 and 7, or 6 and 5? The pause between can seem pretty brief.
There's no reason the on/off thing shouldn't work. Is your odometer set to total mileage? I think in an '04 it will bring the codes to the odometer as a "P0124" type, I know on my '06 Dodge it displays it there. Is there something suggesting that you should have a code at all, ie: CEL is on?

OP
OP
S

scottcot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eleven flashes or could it be 4 and 7, or 6 and 5? The pause between can seem pretty brief.
There's no reason the on/off thing shouldn't work. Is your odometer set to total mileage? I think in an '04 it will bring the codes to the odometer as a "P0124" type, I know on my '06 Dodge it displays it there. Is there something suggesting that you should have a code at all, ie: CEL is on?

Seemed like 11 flashes to me. Odometer is set to total mileage.

I think right now it's just telling me that it's recalibrating parameters after a full power disconnect. Prior to the full power disconnect I was getting a CEL so want to be ready to read it if it happens again.