Condensation in headlight?

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my lights has a small amount of condensation after a short ride today. Condensation is only on the right lamp assembly (standing facing the car and its towards the wheel side not the middle). Is this normal? There are no obvious cracks at all, the lense is mint with no imperfections. It was definitely humid in CT today but I would think that is a sealed system? Thanks

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its normal, and its not a sealed system.

If you want it to go away turn on your head light to evaporate the water in the lense.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
46Hemi,
I had the same problem with my GTS and it did get progressively worse as time went on. I finally had the headlight replaced and never had another problem.

CStegall

Bratatatat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So ... does this mean that the seal went on the headlight if you have condensation in it?? And ... if a person wants a perfect vehicle, the headlight should be replaced??

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Open the hood and on the side facing the engine you'll see the gray oval tube that is the vent. It is not a sealed system. The clear lens is pretty well glued to the black plastic and unless the bulb has been replaced, the back of the housing (that is supposed to be removeable) is stuck hard onto the rear of the housing. Perhaps the vent tube has been knocked off/out or the rear seal is allowing water in?

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have removed the bulb assembly itself and used a soft cloth on a hanger to reach into the lens area to clean the inside of the clear plastic.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Open the hood and on the side facing the engine you'll see the gray oval tube that is the vent. It is not a sealed system. The clear lens is pretty well glued to the black plastic and unless the bulb has been replaced, the back of the housing (that is supposed to be removeable) is stuck hard onto the rear of the housing. Perhaps the vent tube has been knocked off/out or the rear seal is allowing water in?
Well, even if the rear seal wasn't sealing, it should let the condensation out - the fact the condensation is staying there might imply it is actually sealed - i.e., the vent is blocked. I've had the backs off of my headlight housings on both Vipers many times (putting HID's in, aiming them a couple of times) - the first time you remove the back it is usually stuck on because they use a soft/tacky sealant, and it returns to that stuck-on state after being on for a while. But, that is more of a dust prevention than anything else.

So, remove the back of the one with the condensation - its fairly trivial to do once you remove the six plastic wing nuts holding the wheel well hatch in place, then the three metal wing nuts on the back, and loosen one (or is it two?) captive thinner wingnuts on the back - pry it off from the sticky seal, and take a hair dryer to it. :cool:

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking a hair dryer may leave evaporative film. I'd go with the soft cloth just the same. Either way it looks like you have some options for the fix!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte