Coolant Flush

apeas2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to thank everyone who helped me with my brake/clutch flush questions and now would like the same help regarding a coolant flush. My car is 5 years old (08) with 2400 miles on it and needs a coolant flush. I can tackle oil, brakes, clutch and differential myself, but am a bit nervous about the coolant flush. My dealer wants $200 to have the certified Viper tech do it. Should I let them or tackle this myself? I am a little bit nervous about the bleeding and burping of my 08 Gen 4. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think most guys just do a drain/fill by pulling the lower hose off the radiator. (that's what I do anyhow)
I do that every year whether it needs it or not. -have replaced the hoses twice, just to prevent having a blown hose at the track.

Gen III has a bleeder screw behind the thermostat, I would think gen IV has a similar deal.
Open the screw while filling the system.
If you kinda keep track of how much coolant you get out of the car, that is the easy indicator for how much goes back in. (obviously, it would seem)
If you get appx. 3 gallons out, and only 2 back in, that's the clue that there is air in the system that needs to be purged.

If you are doing all the other stuff to the car and haven't broke it yet, you can handle this.
Just pay attention to what's going on, and you won't fry the motor.
When you first start the engine, crank the heater and feel the discharge air for warmth right away. -you should feel it getting warm way before the temp gauge starts reading anything.
If you see the temp gauge rise, and have cold air out the heater vents, shut it off and figure out how to get the air out of it.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.......................the next issue, if you drive your car like I drive mine,
will be having to deal with replacing the tires all the time. :omg:

:lmao:

SEEEEYA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had mine done in my 06 last year at dodge dealer for $129, they have a glass wall so you can watch, this tech that did my car didn't even know how to get the hood open, once open he had a hard time working on the car since there were always 2 or 3 bodies in the way looking at it, nice problem to watch. but he did say it was time, coolant was getting nasty he said

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first time I did it at the dealer for about 250 and they used a vacume system that pumps it out and in, the next time I did it at my local oil chage place they had the same pump system they did it for 65.00 bucks.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think most guys just do a drain/fill by pulling the lower hose off the radiator. (that's what I do anyhow)
Me too. Also siphon the overflow bottle using the hose from the rad cap connection and disconnect the heater hoses and push water through that circuit (empty with compressed air). After drained, reconnect lower rad hose and refill with distilled water, run to circulate, cool, drain again. Then do final fill starting with pure antifreeze (think I used a gallon and a half with some going to the overflow bottle). Top off with more distilled water (overflow bottle too). You can do a second distilled water circulation/drain procedure before the final fill if your anal (like me). You don't have to mess with block drain plugs with this procedure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456