Coolant ? on 2000 gts

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just drove my car for the first time in 3 months and noticed it was running a little hotter then before. It was worked on as well during that time. It's much warmer then the last time I drove it, so this may be normal.
Reading the service manual it states that when the car is cold the water/coolant is supposed to be above the the top seam of the 'coolant pressure bottle'. Is this correct? I could not see any water in there so I took cap off (car cold) and it was bone dry. I checked the coolant recovery bottle and it was at the bottom mark on the sight glass. I pulled the 'coolant recovery hose' and poured water until it read at the top mark of the recovery bottle. It seems to me that there should be 'some' water in the top tank??? I remember the last time I checked(4 months ago, it was indeed at the top part of that seam). But this car is new to me so I'm not sure what is right.
Should I add more coolant? If so what kind and how should I do it? I know these cars are very finicky about this procedure.
I have not started the car since. Should I start it, let it warm up and then check the sight glass and add if needed???
Thanks all

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the top tank (reservoir) should have coolant in it. Prestone green is fine. Fill it, leave the cap off, warm the car, squeeze the top radiator hose, refill reservoir, squeeze, refill, squeeze, refill until no more air comes out of the system and the reservoir no longer needs filling.

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck. I have somewhat of a prob when it comes to the squeezing of the upper radiator hose located on drivers side. This car is a paxton car. That piece which used to be rubber is now metal. There is no where for me to squeeze the upper radiator hose. Any paxton guys out there that can help???
I'm thinking of pulling that metal hose, drilling a hole and taping it. I will then install a bleeder screw. This would seem like it would work???

OP
OP
P

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again. Your full of good info. I could get the heater hose fitting to work, but there is no way to place that big piece because there is no room on the upper radiator hose to place that. This *****.
What's interesting is that the service manual does not tell you how to do this. Is that because the dealer has some form of a vucuum system that they install to **** the air out? How the hell does a dealer do it. Do they realy squeeze the hose?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the techs do squeeze the hose.

The bleeders in the link are some kind of refrigeration valve. Check with someone in that business. Maybe they can help you out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness