Coolant overflow bottle question. HELP!!!

Tomas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Åland Islands (Baltic Sea Hawaii), FINLAND
Hello Everyone

Yesterday I install my new Roe hose with bleeder screw. I have now fill the system with water. I have start it up to get the engine warm and bleed so the air is gone. But now I noticed its dropping coolant water in the right front corner of the car, but I cannot see where the water comes from. Can I have filled the Coolant overflow bottle too much? Is there any drain hose from the bottle if there is too much coolant in there?? The only thing I can think is the water comes from the bottle.

rgds

Tomas

grnsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had to replace my overflow bottle on my 95 RT/10. One of the lower bumper bolts (directly under the bottle) poked a hole in it. I did not realize it until I changed/filled the coolant and it started leaking.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

Can I have filled the Coolant overflow bottle too much? Is there any drain hose from the bottle if there is too much coolant in there?? The only thing I can think is the water comes from the bottle.

rgds

Tomas

Yes, you could have over-filled the overflow bottle and yes, there is a drain on the over flow bottle at the top. And as grnsnake had mentioned, you might have a puncture at the bottom of the bottle instead.

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My overflow bottle is always empty too. Even after filling it, if I go for a drive, it will empty out. I have looked for leaks, there is never any indication of wetness or fluid dripping from the front fascia. Where else can I be losing this fluid and is this BIG trouble? Despite the missing coolant, my temp needle never goes past the third middle hash mark. Any thought?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jdoc7, You need to perform more testing. If you fill your overflow bottle between the marks on the wheelwell, and burp correctly, then go for a drive and nothing leaks anywhere but you have an empty bottle something isn't being done correctly. Either you aren't burping correctly, aren't filling the overflow bottle, or are missing where the leak is coming from.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See my gallery for photos of the coolant bottle set up. I keep my under hood reservoir topped off since any overflow will be purge to the reservoir behind the facia (or draw from it if needed). It's funny that the overflow bottle behind the facia has a cap on it that in theory you can add coolant to the system. Aint gonna happen that way. The only real way to get the overflow bottle balanced between the min-max levels is to pull the line from the main reservoir leading to the overflow and fashion some way to pump coolant down the line and into the overflow bottle. The overflow bottle is not part of the pressurized coolant system..only comes into play during overheat (pop-off) or system vaccum during cool-dowm (draws coolant back into the system). An operational cap on the primary reserviour is critical to the proper functioning of the cooling system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang