Coolant temperature gauge?

B235R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

i have a problem with my 01 GTS and hope that somebody can help.
Today in morning i started the car and after 1 minute of drive i looked at the coolant temp.gauge and it showed 250!
I stopped and take a look under the hood but everythink was ok.
Both waterhoses (from Thermostat to pump and from pump to radiator had the same temperarture,fan is also working and waterpump must be also ok because the car heats from the blower if i want.

If i turn the ignition off and on (also when the car is cooled down) the temp gauge rise to 250 in 1 second and stands there :dunno:

Also the MIL lamp lights since 2 days,but there wasnt the issue with the coolant temp thing.

Is there a common problem that maybe somebody know like a broken coolant temperature sensor or anything like that?

Only thing i have done yesterday evening is i have changed to AB wires but i am sure everything is connected properly (i am a car mechanic)

I know i must to the dealer to look with the diagnostic tool to see why the MIL lamp has came up 2 days before.

Car is standard except for K&Ns,smooth tubes,muffler delete and AB wires.

Hopefully someone can comment,

regards from overseas

Daniel

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
temp sending unit. cheap easy fix, just did mine last year.

chuck tator 914-763-3136 he had them in stock

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still could be the water pump although the sending unit is a quicker part to change. The water pump problem with '01s is not terminal failure, but partial loss of pumping. More noticeable at speed than idle.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daniel, go to the illustrated parts section

http://forums.viperclub.org/illustrated-upgrades/622417-viper-parts-listings-all-model-years.html

and in the 2001 manual look at page 008-810. There are three sensors; one for the gauge, one for the ECU, one for the red dash light. At some time, the separate sensors were combined into one unit.

I just replaced a Gen 1 sensor, and besides not reading at all, I found the temperature I thought was normal really was not.

2001 is all in one Tom.

OP
OP
B

B235R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,i have ordered one yesterday,bzut will take 1 week until its here :(