cooling options

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What all options are there for having your viper run cooler? I'm fine so far, my gauge is reading in the center or just a nudge to the right, but I understand I can get an upgraded fan for my 98 rt/10, and would appreciate any info there is on that (where to buy, etc.) as well as info on other products.

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean Roe of Roe Racing makes a great air duct to increase air flow to the radiator. 904-733-5469

painexpert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the upgraded fan installed on my 98 GTS at the local dodge dealer under warranty at no charge.Speak with your Viper tech.There was also a recent thread on this forum concerning this.Check it out.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, go to your Dodge dealer and order the upgraded fan. Easy install, should take less than 1 hour. Remove airbox and smooth tubes, then disconnect where it plugs in and 4 or 6 bolts holds it on (to frame, or radiator, forgot which one) depending if it's an early 98 or a later 1998. It moves MUCH more air and cools the car down MUCH quicker. That's 'prolly the best upgrade you can do right away cuz it cools you down much quicker even sitting still. JonB at partsrack has them also!

Hope that helped!
Gerald

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, keep it coming! I tried to do a search on fans, but couldn't find any good thread... I think I'll try the free route under warranty first, then see about Gerald's
You must be registered for see images
I tried to find the fan on the partsrack website, but had no luck; maybe I'll ask JonB when I finally call, as I've been meaning to...

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,
The NC VCA club is having a small tech session this Saturday at our house. Tom Sessions (NCs favorite Viper Tech) is coming up, and other club members will be doing some upgrades and mods. We just installed the 99 fan module last weekend on a member's car, (45 minutes...) as well as the K&N Airbox. We'll have a variety of cars here in various stages of modification - cosmetic mods as well as some longevity mods for track prep. Email me for directions and details - you are more than welcome to join us. Besides, you can fill out your VCA membership

However, your temps sound pretty normal for a Viper - it likes to run at about that temp - I would not be concerned as long as it was in the middle three hashmark range - my car runs a little hotter than that on the track and Henry's runs cooler - seems to be some variation. Cooling ducts are fine for track use and highway (although I would have a hard time cutting my car's fascia) - I'll bet you are more concerned with high ambient temps and low speed travel (as this is a daily driver for you - and traffic around here is inevitable...) Once you check to see that your car is burped and the coolant overflow bottle is at the right level, I'd say the fan module should be all you need.

let me know if you can join us on Saturday.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've put a Fluidyne radiatior in my '01, and have a 180-deg thermostat going in this week along with all the other mods. I'll report week after next on how it works.

JonB @ Parts rack obtained both the radiator and thermostat for me.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Janni:
John,
The NC VCA club is having a small tech session this Saturday at our house. Tom Sessions (NCs favorite Viper Tech) is coming up, and other club members will be doing some upgrades and mods. We just installed the 99 fan module last weekend on a member's car, (45 minutes...) as well as the K&N Airbox. We'll have a variety of cars here in various stages of modification - cosmetic mods as well as some longevity mods for track prep. Email me for directions and details - you are more than welcome to join us. Besides, you can fill out your VCA membership

...let me know if you can join us on Saturday.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, I really wish I could come by, I'd like to meet you guys, Tom, and everyone else, but I have to be out of town for family high school graduations this weekend and the next. When will the next NC gathering occur, at the time of VIR?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,
If you are planning to attend VIR (and you really should) we'll be having a pre-Viper Days tech session again at our house. We want to make sure all our club members are prepared for the track - blake fluid flushes, pad checks, burping, lug nut torquing and air pressure adjustments, etc. etc., as well as a ViperDays checklist to make it easier for the NC Region members to be prepared for the ViperDays tech inspection. No fun losing valuable track time having to get your car worked on to pass tech......

Send me your address and I'll add you immediately to the mailing list, send you a VCA application, and make sure you are up to speed on all our activities.

We're here if you need us.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't have a problem, based on you description.

Nevertheless, and JonB mentions "burping," I shamelessly plug the following device:
http://www.viperclub.org/news/bleedersannouncement.html

JonB, why not mention it? I sent you a set for free to evaluate and I thought you found the setup OK. Anyway, for $50, it is pretty cheap insurance to make sure you have no air in you cooling system.

But really, I think your car is running plenty cool so I would recommend doing nothing, actually.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey John,
Congrats on getting a Viper

Just so you know, the water temperature gauge on the Viper is not linear. If you have a scan tool or a linkup to the PCM, you will see that the PCM's indicated coolant temperature varies quite a bit from what you'd think it should be by looking at the guage. For example, the three hash marks over 190 usually have a total range of 190 to 198. If you let your car idle until the fan comes on, the first fan speed (low) comes on at an actual 207 degrees. Take a look at your gauge on the dash to get an idea where that is. If it gets to 217, you'll hear the fan come on to its high position. Again, it's good to reference what the gauge is reading.
For street and highway driving, the factory setup is fine. If you're going to do track events, you'll need an upgrade, of which there are some very effective options out there.
If your new car doesn't have one, do yourself (and Viper) a favor and get one of our fan kits. It will help keep the engine from overheating after shutdown (heat soak) and extends the life of the hoses and engine componenets. Besides, you could evaluate the kit for patent purposes

Take care and enjoy your new ride,
Sean

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must be prescient, as I was sitting in traffic yesterday and the gauge ran up a bit (past the right of the 3 center hash marks).

JonB, I figured Chuck and Gerald knew correctly that it was the older fan when they checked it out, but I went out with directions in hand and confirmed that it is the offset one, so I might be a buyer if I can't get it free

My technical know-how is low so more info on burping would be appreciated. (I did at least check my coolant level to see that it was alright...)

Sean, I might have to check that kit out at some point, and as a reminder, if it's been known to the public / on sale for a year, it's unpatentable, so if you're under that deadline and really have something, you might want to considering moving forward.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,

Grab that new fan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fan kit just turns on whatever fan you have installed, old style or new style. If you want your old style fan to "click" on , JUST TURN ON YOUR A/C.... But of course that fan kit is nice, when you turn off your car, it cools it down. I did indeed check what fan you have on your car and it's the old style. JonB will hook ya up.

Gerald "2THK4U" LOL!!

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald, Chuck told me you guys checked, so I thought it was the case (both of you with 98s should know!). Seems I should get the fan for free if I can, and maybe get the fan kit as well - I wonder if I could have them install the fan kit while swapping the fan??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
booth