Tire/rim/conversion options

eaks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased my 04 mamba srt10 a month or so ago and have already gone into some modifications. My original thought was to keep the car for a year and maybe sell it next year. Time is running out to enjoy large displacement engines. Although the more I drive the car I think it is going to be a longer hold for me and most likely I'd let my 427 cobra replica go before the viper.

I have looked into some wheel options and on tire rack there is only one option offered and also looks like the only road legal tires they have are on backorder until mid next year. This got me thinking about some conversions to a 5 bolt hub that would have some better wheel options.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with spacer style conversion kits that would give me some better wheel options as well as different tire options. I really feel the 345 is a bit overkill for a car with "only" 500hp (although I would most likely jump on a used supercharger kit if one ever pops up).it would be nice to be able to run a more slim tire (something like a c7 runs and this would give a lot more wheel options as well). Other option would be to complete a hub swap but this would be quite an expensive way to go (although honestly most likely the best bet).

My current tires are pretty new (2021 date codes and only about 3-4k kms on them) so this isn't a huge deal as of right now but looking at wheel options I would consider a set of spacer 6lug to 5lug kits and maybe pickup a set of used c7 wheels/tires to try out and find the look I like (I'm definitely not a chrome guy).

Really just looking for some real world experience in this department so I can keep my eyes open for some rims that I may like if conversion kits are available and if not I will lost likely hold off till I need new tires and then decide what direction to go.

Thanks a lot

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a gen2 (can only speak on gen2s) people have done 5lug conversions but that is because they run real drag wheels and tires and seriously drag race the car.

Seriously spacers? That would be a big no.

People already break loose with the 345, 355 steam rollers and you want to go smaller ricer?

You will spend waaay more money doing a 5lug conversion correctly then getting 6lug wheels and tires.

Just get gen5 or aftermarket wheels. Your options open up a little more.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plus do a search on the forum too.

OP
OP
E

eaks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My biggest concern is the availability of the tires for the car (not necessarily the size of the rear tires). Ive run many cars with much more power and way smaller tires and havent had an issue (although every car setup is different and for inexperienced drivers I am sure you can get the tires to spin and without traction/stability control this can be an issue for some). As I mentioned I am looking for options but my tires are still quite new and not many KMs so this isnt an issue now but when the time comes to replace I would prefer to go to a tire size that has more options. If I were to get a blowout or have an issue then there are no replacement tires available (tirerack and I am in Canada and our selection is not great). I just want to know my options when the time comes.

Appreciate the info about the Gen5 rims/tires and I will start looking into this as a possible solution. I did search around but didn't really think there would be much difference in tire sizes between the gens but clearly I was wrong.

Thank you

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will fall into this hole like all the low production vehicles owners do. The better option to spacers would be 3 piece wheels where you can select the barrel size and then change it in the future (get them rebuilt) to fit whatever tire is available. Or sell your old wheels and buy newer ones.

OP
OP
E

eaks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I'm a lot more likely to go with a set of forged wheels for the weight savings (unsprung weight). I've had some low production cars (Gallardo) although seemed like I didn't have any issues finding rims as I had a few different sets that I was able to find locally..

I'm not a fan of the chrome rims at all (to be honest it reminds me of a corvette when they have the chrome rims) and figured instead of powder coating the factory rims it would be better to get a set that will accommodate a more readily available tire.

I will keep my eyes open for a set of Gen 5 rims and hoping to find a used set to try out.. If I can't and the time is getting close to replacing tires I may just bite tte bullet and try and custom order a set of forged wheels but im hesitant spending that kind of money without seeing the rims on the car first incase I don't love it.

I started this thread to get some ideas and you guys have certainly come through. If anyone has any other suggestion please let me know

Greg114

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Eaks, I've got 19/20 offset Forgeline on my 06, maybe that'll be a size you're more interested in.... The ride is terrible, hotrod haywagon, but it is a Viper.....the profile of the car is meant to host the wide tire footprint and the lower profile meat just adds to the sweet sweet gluttony. Good luck, sounds like your picky, but please whatever you do don't go with the narrow tires, blaspheme lol!!!!

Attachments

• 20230721_174530.jpg
    20230721_174530.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala