Corsas -Cross Overs - 3:55s

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who has eliminated their Cross-overs? The Corsa Track exhaust does, and I'm concerned that this will cause a UPS truck sound like the pre-1996 Vipers where you only hear 5 cylinders coming out below your door. I generally have the top down. I thinking of going with Corsa to keep it quiet inside of the cabin with the top up. I don't like resonance, but I want to hear the car on acceleration.

I've also been reading some reports of rear differential lock ups with 3:55 gearing, which I had on my 96 and liked. But I don't want trouble. Anyone locking up staying with stock factory 3:07s? Which are the safest INEXPENSIVE (if that's possible) 3:55s?

Lastly, does the short shift kit really add anything for street use, and occaisional track use? :usa: :2tu:

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I eliminated my cross-over when having my Corsa exhaust, RT steel cats and Heffner headers installed and sure enough when standing to one side of the car you can “mostly” only hear five of the ten cylinders. For this reason, I sometimes tell people to stand in front or behind the car if they are really interested in listening to the exhaust. When sitting in the car, I can hear both sides, but the side closest to me is the one I hear the loudest and the deepest. Installing the Corsa exhaust and eliminated the cross-over eliminated my cabin and side sill heat issues (which were serious) and gave the car for the first time its own sound. Just so you know, this set up is loud by lots of people’s standards, but can be toned down with ceramic cats or vortex inserts. If you’re really concerned about hearing only half the cylinders from the side of the car, you should probably stick with the crossover since that’s what it is designed to do. I think Corsa makes an exhaust with the crossover. Of course, if you want power gains from less back pressure, reduced cabin and side sill heat, and don’t mind a louder car which sounds different depending on where you’re standing, go with no cross-over.