Corvette Challenge

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a round of golf this evening, we got to talking about cars, and I commented about the 13.7 Quater mile I turned at VOI-6 last year and immediately got jumped on from a friend who owns a C-5 automatic about how I don't know how to drive the car at the drag strip. My response was "Bring it on anytime at the dragstrip, and I'll kick your butt all over the track." Anybody who was at VOI-6 on Saturday morning at Gateway knows how slippery the start line was and it was my first attempt at drag racing the Viper. I know I can do better that a 13.7, how fast is a C-5 automatic, totally stock? Anybody got a good guess or hard numbers?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the track was wet at VOI 6 on Saturday morning. I was there. Everybody had slow times that day. FYI to gage your progress, my best time on that day was 12.7. Bone stock 98 RT/10.

My best time to date is 12.3.

Go get 'em!

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not an expert but my limited experience says if your launch is good you should run low 12's stock on a sticky track. I have only drag raced my Viper twice but went from 13.2 on a slippery track to a 12.15 my second time out on a much better track. (OK, I changed tires too and changed out the stock mufflers).

A good track and a day of trying different launches and shifting techniques will get you from 13.7 to mid 12's for sure. And at low to mid 12's you should beat a stock C-5 by half a second at least. If you can stay close at 60 feet the battle is yours.

I raced a Vette last time at the drags and had no problems at all with him. Had more trouble with the new Camero's!