Corvette VS. The World (Including The Viper)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a brief discussion about the Giken with an SRT engineer at VOI 12. I told him that I changed out a Gen IV diff after the Gen IV posi traction crapped out because the Giken is far more robust. I also said that I thought it was a far superior piece and that my Viper tech and all the mechanics in the shop were very impressed with the way it was put together. My guess would be that not using it may be related to cost.
Another product you should convince SRT to use as a standard along with MCS....

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a brief discussion about the Giken with an SRT engineer at VOI 12. I told him that I changed out a Gen IV diff after the Gen IV posi traction crapped out because the Giken is far more robust. I also said that I thought it was a far superior piece and that my Viper tech and all the mechanics in the shop were very impressed with the way it was put together. My guess would be that not using it may be related to cost.

Your probably right. It could be cost related and politics may be involved as well. You never know. However, Prefix may do a good job, but cost was never a consideration in contracting them.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never underestimate the sway of the bean counters. :p

The Calibre SRT-4 was refused an AWD drivetrain over ~$1200 bump.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact the image is that it takes an old school cowboy, a real man to roll in on his horse with balls as big as bells to drive the Viper to the limits, actually does help some of the image for people that respect what the car is and can do. It is part of what I love about it. Since I will never be a professional racer and my only enjoyment when getting out on a track is well........not having to work that afternoon and getting out on the track, I really do not care how fast is is or isn't. What I do care about is fit and finish, service support and gobs of torque from way lowdown under. Slap another 100 lbs of torque on the car and wow what a run up to 90 on a highway on-ramp. Cost to play is my only admission hold out. Used, we will see where they go but someday. Who knows? On the rear diff, the stock Viper diff is complete crap, all GENs. After riding in a Quafie equiped car, there is no substitue. It will be on the mod list for the little RT for now.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regardless of the real truth about the performance gap between the Viper and the Vette in this test because of driver deficiency, track type etc, all the public and potential buyers will see is that a 640hp big tired Viper could only beat a 450hp comparatively skinny tired base Vette by .6 secs. That is not going to do the Viper any favors in the eyes of the masses who only care about mag numbers etc and dont really give thought about the other variables involved with testing cars, non greater than the driver variable and even track config etc.

Im glad the Viper won the numbers game even though subjectively it looks like a loss. It looked like a big bully that picked on the small fry and just barely won if you get my analogy. Anyway, we know its a bigger gap than that .6 but that fact wont count to the bean counters and the conquest buyers more than the sales figures and mag numbers sadly.....

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regardless of the real truth about the performance gap between the Viper and the Vette in this test because of driver deficiency, track type etc, all the public and potential buyers will see is that a 640hp big tired Viper could only beat a 450hp comparatively skinny tired base Vette by .6 secs. That is not going to do the Viper any favors in the eyes of the masses who only care about mag numbers etc and dont really give thought about the other variables involved with testing cars, non greater than the driver variable and even track config etc.

Im glad the Viper won the numbers game even though subjectively it looks like a loss. It looked like a big bully that picked on the small fry and just barely won if you get my analogy. Anyway, we know its a bigger gap than that .6 but that fact wont count to the bean counters and the conquest buyers more than the sales figures and mag numbers sadly.....

Not to mention how the Viper is always described as a wrestling match to drive around a track well, and the Vette is this docile compliant one hand easy to drive car.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. Its almost like a journalistic vendetta against the Viper. The Viper will never get a proper review thats why it needs to just destroy all comers like it once did. That was always my consolation for the poor reviews. I just used to bypass the fluff and read the performance data and smile. I miss those days.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you noticed that most of the vette reviews offer a comment about major handling deficencies of the C6 are corrected in the C7. However, when the C6 was reviewed in the past, the car was perfect.

A good friend bought a C7/Z51. With dry sump and mag ride control he paid $70k.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to mention how the Viper is always described as a wrestling match to drive around a track well, and the Vette is this docile compliant one hand easy to drive car.
it all comes down to what you want in the car, which is what I think SRT is missing to push.

Yes, you could jump in a Vette and run better track times being a complete noob. But, the Vette is uninspiring to drive - when you compare it to the Viper. The Viper might be a challenge, but it rewards you when you learn to drive it.

If I were running SRT marketing, my campaign would be "Do you want to live in a world where everyone in a winner, or do you want to live in a world where hard work rewards"

The Viper isn't easy to drive at the high end, embrace it if that is the case. It is why I wanted one, because I wanted an engaging driving experience.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying but did you see the Presidential election or do you watch the News ?:D This may not be the ideal slogan:D

If I were running SRT marketing, my campaign would be "Do you want to live in a world where everyone in a winner, or do you want to live in a world where hard work rewards"

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper isn't easy to drive at the high end, embrace it if that is the case. It is why I wanted one, because I wanted an engaging driving experience.

I agree but don't think that is a particularly strong selling point, otherwise nobody would buy a GTR.
My grandmother could drive one at the drag strip and yet people don't seem to mind the computer doing the work.
Most just want to go fast, no bonus points for having to work at it.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree but don't think that is a particularly strong selling point, otherwise nobody would buy a GTR.
My grandmother could drive one at the drag strip and yet people don't seem to mind the computer doing the work.
Most just want to go fast, no bonus points for having to work at it.
I agree with you as well.

I think in the world where everything is going to the "GTR" where you could "fall asleep driving it" - you have something to differentiate with, leverage it.

Who knows, I am just a software guy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456