Could water/steam add horsepower?

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just posted a possible coolant leakage problem with my car but it reminded me of a story. A while ago a friend of mine had a car, I can't remember what kind it was, that developed a bad gasket leak apparently letting in a lot of water into the engine. He told me that eventually it got so bad the car wouldn't run but that before it got that bad the car had tons of extra horsepower. He claimed, and scientifically I guess it makes sense, that just enough water would get sucked into the cylinders, mixed with the air and fuel and add to compression. The theory was that there wasn't enough water to stop the explosion but enough to increase the compression, with water being harder to compact than air. Basically turning the water to steam added dramatically to the compression and power.

So if this is possible, wouldn't there be a way to harness this by adding water injectors that sprayed just the right amount of water into the cylinder to do the same. You could fill up with a bit of water at the pump as well and it would have the added benefits of increasing horsepower, reducing fuel costs, cooling the engine and possibly even assisting the emissions. Thoughts?

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Triple P company of New Lisbon, WI worked on developing water injectors in the late 60's. They also were trying a screen that was made out of titanium, I think. It fit between the carburator and manifold that worked in conjunction with the water. For some reason it never took off even though there were some auto parts stores that did carry these items.

SNAKEIZ Susan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>that just enough water would get sucked into the cylinders, mixed with the air and fuel and add to compression. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The mid 1970's theory was that some h2o spray in the a/f mix would lesson detonation/preignition, allowing the "higher" cr ratios on the decreased ron/mon unleaded mixes coming out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62