Cracked windshield

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried to avoid replacing the windshield by sealing the crack but it still shows.

Any heads up before I have it replaced? Anything I should make sure they do or don’t do?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it they don't use suction cups, they should be gloved while handling the edges (oils from hands can interfere with the adhesive)

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a couple of Viper windshields replaced already. Reputable glass shops did the work, no issues, can't tell at all. Seems funny to me but at least once a year I lose a windshield in one of my cars. Never remember having to have one changed 20 years or more ago. Leads me to believe they are not as strong today as they used to be.

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend that has his own glass company.He said to make sure and get a factory,not aftermark glass.Other than that he sais it`s a easy job.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I replaced mine, I had removed the wipers and shrowd and had everything set for the tech. I didn't want him "wrenching" on the car and simply wanted to leverage his expertise with replacing windshield...not getting at the windshield. Turned out great. Its really an easy replacement all things considered. Oh yea, ROE Blowers, wrenches and windshieds don't mix.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had my front windshield replaced. I opted to have it replaced at their shop instead of having them come out. Like others a reputable shop should do fine.

The install is over a month old and I haven't had any problems.

ACRJUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had mine done at my house. It was kinda nerve racking watching them cut the old rubber off, but the end result was nice.

VENOMIS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently had mine replaced. Went with factory glass as the dealer said there was not aftermarket glass for a Viper. I had the Tech come to the house and did what EllowViper did. I removed wipers and cowl. It is an easy job for them to do.

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, if you take several of the above posts and combine them they all applied to me and the steps I took. such as
1) Never had a cracked windshield in over 20 years, within 1k miles the Viper had one
2) YES, insist on FACTORY glass. Many glass places use other and they do not mention it. Safelite did mine and wanted to use their glass-NOT.
3) I did the exact thing about removing all the trim, wipers and shroud. This ensured no scratches and everything put back exactly (by me) again. This gave the glass guy more time to do his job
4) Try to have it done at your house / garage. Not suppose to drive the Viper for several hours while the sealant / adhesive cures. If you don't then you risk causing a brake in the seal.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, if you take several of the above posts and combine them they all applied to me and the steps I took. such as
1) Never had a cracked windshield in over 20 years, within 1k miles the Viper had one
2) YES, insist on FACTORY glass. Many glass places use other and they do not mention it. Safelite did mine and wanted to use their glass-NOT.
3) I did the exact thing about removing all the trim, wipers and shroud. This ensured no scratches and everything put back exactly (by me) again. This gave the glass guy more time to do his job
4) Try to have it done at your house / garage. Not suppose to drive the Viper for several hours while the sealant / adhesive cures. If you don't then you risk causing a brake in the seal.

As was mentioned above, there is no aftermarket glass for the Viper. Very low demand therefore no return on investment.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks you for all the advise and tips.

He changing it out right now and seems to be doing a very careful job.

The glass is factory ( or so he says) but it has an added upper shade which the factory windshield does not. I check the vision by sitting in the car and it doesn't seem to block my view at all, but it is a different windshield from stock.

I've also got a chance to clean that very front edge of the dashboard finally.:rolaugh:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456