Need tire help! And how bad are old tires….

Rda316

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My rear tires are from 2007 and my front tires are from 2010……how bad is it that I’ve been driving on them??…. I don’t see any visible cracks.

Now for new tires. No pilots are available. Should I get the toyo 888 (Which on some posts here people have said these are more track tires)? Or should I get Nittos (but won’t match as they have motivos for the front and 555’s for the rear)? Any help is appreciated as I want to be ready for the spring.

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old tires are dangerous, especially if you are doing anything north of cruising around town. Get new tires!

Have you considered the Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02? You would need to go to a 355/30 on the rear but the difference is minimal. The 355 will make your car sit only ~2/10 of an inch higher in the rear....also, the 355s actually fit the 13" wide wheel a little better than the stock 345s. I have the previous generation of these tires on my ACR and I've pushed them pretty hard in the Texas Hill Country and they are wonderful....they grip with no drama. They also ride great and are quiet. I've never had them in the rain, but they are supposedly very good there too. The R888R is a great tire, but probably a little extreme for a street only. They're rough and noisy, they sling rocks and gravel like crazy, and you don't want to drive them in the wet but they do grip like hell on dry pavement. Had R888s previously and liked them, but the R888Rs weren't available in Viper sizes when I was looking for new tires last (pandemic shortages). I've been pleasantly surprised by how good the Contis have been and the new 02 version is supposedly even better. They do well in the tests too.

Last edited:

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have bought 4 wrecks from guys driving on 10+ year old tires. It is stupid. You own a Viper, step up and get a decent set. Conti Extremes are a great all around tire. R888Rs are awesome for the curvy roads

OP
OP
Rda316

Rda316

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you both, and yes completely agree it’s not good to be driving on old tires. I just got the car a few months ago and have been waiting to see if I can get the pilots but they still don’t have a date on when they would be making them. I called the rep at tirerack and he said they might be making them for this May but Michelin always pushes back the actual date so could be another month or two after, if at all.

I ended up going with the continental extremecontact force, even though the rears are also out of the stock, the rep said it should be a 1-2 month wait time until they have them available.

I looked at the nittos but they didn’t have a matching set. And the toyos for me didn’t make sense as they are track tires. I’m going to wait the 1-2 months and I can always cancel the order and end up going with the toyos if absolutely nothing else is available.

By the way, is there any value in saving the old tires? Do collectors look for these at all?

nicholas8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thumbs up for Contintental Extreme Sports. I just had them installed a few weeks ago. I had a really good experience with Jon at Viper Rack Parts. He had the tires shipped to me super fast. As SA Heat mentioned, I think the 355 fit the rear wheel better.

Plus, it was the least expensive out of all the tire options buying them from Jon.

They are quiet and a huge improvement over the old tires I had on.

Attachments

• 20231201_151757.jpg
    20231201_151757.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240204_103633.jpg
    20240204_103633.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231201_130650.jpg
    20231201_130650.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 15

nicholas8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, just wanted to clarify because it took me a moment to realize it. Jon with Viper Parts Rack is not same as Tire Rack. All the company names run together to me. If you do get a quote from him my experience is it best to call versus trying to navigate his website which may up to date. Not sure if he has them in stock or not but may be worth a call.

pokeyl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 tires, info at Tire Rack if the special is still on.

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought 2 rear 345 Super Sports from Discount Tire in Dallas. No sign of any shortage. They ship if you don’t have a store.

Its been a year but I bought my new front 275’s from Pep Boys in Tampa, and I had one replaced under Road Hazard in Dallas. For the front I went with Pilot Sport 4S. Very similar tread design so it is a nice fitting and I get to stay with the correct size.

Loren jones

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the Conti extremecontact sport 02's as well, have about 1,500 miles on them, very pleased and a world of difference from the original 14 year old tires....

Jim Myke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you check with discount tire? I got a set of pilots for my 98 last year, if not maybe try nitto invo's had them on my scat pack 275 front 315 rear 20 inch worked well.

OP
OP
Rda316

Rda316

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all. I ended up going with Jon from viper parts rack and the help he gave me was incredible. The tires I placed an order for on tire rack were track tires and Jon helped me cancel that order and got me the right set of continentals THE NEXT DAY! I literally placed an order with him and the next day they were at my door. He knows his stuff and appreciate the help I got from you guys and him in this process. This is a great community and look forward to all future recommendations.

Siciliano15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when you were looking for the michelins, i know the ps2s have been discontinued a while but what about the ps4s? did you see any of those available? i was thinking about going with those in 355 width for the back and 285 width for the front. not sure how those compare in performance to the continentals though

BoremViper97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My tires are date code 2016 and 2017, and I don’t find them to be terribly bad.
They slip nicely for burnouts and donuts but otherwise they are confidence inspiring.
I do take it very easy if the roads are wet but otherwise I just drive it like I want and have no concerns.

dino

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting forum here. I guess I'm not alone. Any issues with the speedo when using the 355s?

Cheers

dino

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another question here, If I go to a 355 for the rear, does it make sense to go to a 285 instead of a 275 for the fronts?

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting forum here. I guess I'm not alone. Any issues with the speedo when using the 355s?

Cheers

Gen 3+ (2003-2017) Viper speedos reference the ABS sensors - tire sizes and gear ratios don't matter much. It's always a good practice, though, to see how your speedo compares to GPS in case John Law wants to have a chat.

Another question here, If I go to a 355 for the rear, does it make sense to go to a 285 instead of a 275 for the fronts?

Personal preference here. 285/35-18 front has a taller sidewall, so it'll fill up the front wheel well a little better and give you a little bump in ride height. The downsides are that they are usually more expensive than a 275/35-18, and they'll also weigh a little more.

The difference between the 345 and 355/30-19 rears is really negligible. Just get whatever is available and move on. Cars and Coffee bragging rights would favor the 355 if that matters to you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala