Crackling from the Stereo at idle??

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, I'm kinduvan audio Guru when it comes to signal paths and wiring... But this might be a bit above my level of experience.

I noticed during the Covered Bridge Tour this past weekend that my radio crackles pretty bad when I'm not moving - like sitting at a stoplight or intersection. But then I also noticed it during some of the down-hill portion of the tour - I would shift out of gear and let the GTS coast in neutral, and the crackling would start again. If I blipped the throttle the noise would go away for a moment until the engine returned to idle.

What the heck could it be?? That I know of, the dash has never been removed - the original owner never did any funky wiring on the car. The only thing I noticed was that there is a green wire in the trunk right near the amp that isn't connected to anything. It comes from the body, not from the amp, from what I can tell. I haven't had chance to check if it's attached to ground or if it's hot - or either of the above. I can get a pic up if that'll help.

I'm guessing I have a bad ground or a short somewhere, but the audio works just fine when I'm driving. Any ideas??

:dunno: :confused: :rolleyes:

Jeff

OP
OP
J

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So does it do it playing a CD?

Did this start all of a sudden, or did you just finally notice it and it's been there all along?

Ya know, it's been a long time since I played a CD. I bought one of those cigarette-lighter FM broadcast units that takes SD cards so I could play the 200+ songs I have on MP3. I want to say I got it in CD mode, but not as noticeable. I have to get the car back down to the storage garage this afternoon, so I'll check that out.

I can say that the crackling seems to have gotten worse lately - just this past weekend. Maybe temperature-related? :dunno:

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
. I bought one of those cigarette-lighter FM broadcast units that takes SD cards :dunno:

There is your answer. Those things are terrible... Try a CD like Dave says. I bet it plays ok..

If not, one of your speaker wires might be partially ripped inside the door gromet. Very common on GenII's. If the door is pulled open hard enough over the years. It will split the speaker wire, but maybe not completely seperate just yet. (it will eventually). Causing the crackling.

OP
OP
J

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I know the broadcasters ****, but it was an $11 alternative to a complicated stereo install - which I just don't feel like getting into right now.

But you both ask good questions and I would have never thought of the door harness. I'll get answers to these questions and check the grommet this afternoon. I'll share my findings afterwards. Thanks.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't you just change your plug wires? I had the same problems in the GTS when I changed plug wires. 100% exact same symptoms as you described.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has done this since I switched to the Mopar wires. They have less resistance than other wires which causes the crackle. Crackle with more spark!
I guess you could try resistor plugs if you don't want to switch the wires.
To me it just adds to the race car image. Wish I could have my NGR back! :)
(My Brakeman #3 pads squeak too loud to hear it most of the time...)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've also heard that if the plug wires are crossed then you can have a problem.

Heck, just ship the whole car to :tx: for Cinco De Mayo and we'll have it the centerpiece of our intellectual affection for the party. Send it back with a full inspection sheet and everything. :2tu: Okie dokie?

OP
OP
J

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you do know about ab's wires :dunno:

I HAVE the AB wires...

I've also heard that if the plug wires are crossed then you can have a problem.

Heck, just ship the whole car to :tx: for Cinco De Mayo and we'll have it the centerpiece of our intellectual affection for the party. Send it back with a full inspection sheet and everything. :2tu: Okie dokie?

Lol, I've actually just contacted someone in Texas with a 2002 Gray with Silver Stripes GTS to see if they'd be willing to make a trade... I love that color and I've really wanted an 01/02...

gsav69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is weird. I had my drivers door panel off to address a slow window motor, put it back together and had no problem with the radio that I recalled. After I hit a decent bump this past weekend I began getting crackling through both sides with the radio on and not when playing a CD. I wonder if I didn't dislodge the antenna connection at the radio. My reception has always sucked but now it ***** with loud crackling!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jeff, I sent you a PM. I haven't had issues with crackling noise with my wires that I am aware of. Make sure you check all ground straps also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187