crankshaft keying tool

v8huntr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone here want to sell or rent me the crankshaft keying tool?

thank you

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you mean a tool to put a keyway in a crankshaft? I have never ever seen that kind of tool on any tool truck/catalog (Snap On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell) nor do any of my mechanic friends have one. I have a gazzilion tools and that's one even I don't have. I think you may want to consider a machine shop. I am assuming that the tool I am describing is what you are looking for.
I'd love to know if and where you eventually find one...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Someone with a little extra time on their hands may see this as an opportunity to build a "dremel guide" out of a very tough material-(SS maybe?) Or maybe some sort of a mount that would allow the use of an Endmill?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Come to think of it, A guide may be the best bet if you intend to stick with the stock harmonic... as long as it isnt loose/shifted, if you bore a hole squarly through the end Balancer and Crank, you could insert a dowel pin, or a key to prevent shifting under high loads. (bored from front of block, pointing towards rear)

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all "keying" the crank wouldn't be able to be done with the crank in the block/car. I doubt accuracy could be attained. If it has been done, I'd love to see a rig to do it right. Why chance it. Pull the crank and send it out to a crank shop or a reputable machine shop. A machinist will have the proper tooling to do that work. As far as using a Dremel, I seriously doubt that would work. I just wouldn't chance ruining a v-10 crank.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is such a tool as supercharged cars create drag and the Viper for some strange reason does not come keyed,this tool exist and it is a relatively safe and easy task with the right equipment and experience,and is a must for any higher boost S.Cs

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come to think of it, A guide may be the best bet if you intend to stick with the stock harmonic... as long as it isnt loose/shifted, if you bore a hole squarly through the end Balancer and Crank, you could insert a dowel pin, or a key to prevent shifting under high loads. (bored from front of block, pointing towards rear)

Final GTS is correct. I've seen it done exactly that way a few times on Vipers. Works perfectly.

OP
OP
V

v8huntr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi guys

i have talked to sean at roeracing and he has crank shaft keying tool available for sale. you wouldn't need this unless your car has supercharger. call sean before they are all sold out.

OP
OP
V

v8huntr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have just received roe racing's viper crankshaft keying tool and i have to say it a nice piece. installation was straight and simple. now i don't have to worry about my crank shaft pulley coming loose.

thank you sean.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan Cragin also has a nice tool to key the crank which we just recently used on my twin supercharged car. I think his website here is listed under "The Viper Shop". No, the crank doesn't have to come out.