Crossed paths with 911 Turbo

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I’m running errands today and I drive through a local college area. I got the usually horns, beeps and stares. While waiting at a light to make a left turn, behind a van, a silver Porsche 911 turbo, probably a ’01 or ’02, pulled along aside about a half car length in front and hit his brakes hard almost hitting the car in front of him. I was thinking he was probably looking at my Viper. The guy (mid-twenties) revs his engine, I guess to showoff, and I wait a second and pull up more to line up with him. I look over and he has his hand way over the top of the steering wheel and a real cocky look on his face. He pretended that he did not look over and acted as if the Viper was garbage next to his Porsche. I could tell he was a little intimidated by the GTS though. I was just thinking the 911 turbo is a nice car. A few seconds go by and two college guys in a van, driving in the opposite lane slow down and yell, EEEHAAAAA!!! and driver waves his arm out the window at my Viper. I tried to hold back my laugh, but the timing could not have been better. The 911 driver must have felt invisible next to the Viper and probably never had anyone ever respond that way to his more expensive Porsche.

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love it. Vipers are so much more of a head turner than a porsche. I had a guy almost run over the curb in his mustang because he was practically breaking his neck to get a look at my Viper.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Porsche guys always seem to have a problem with Vipers. IMO they have the hardest time dealing with the fact their car disappears next to one. Guess it hurts to spend a good size chunk of change to get noticed and then that damn Viper appears next to you... :headbang:

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Porsche hasn't spent 10 cents on styling in three decades. I have never looked at one twice. My neighbor has an 05 TT Porsche AWD. I have driven the car. From a dig, the car will stomp a stock GTS through second gear and maybe beyond. I have nearly 700 RWHP without juice and would have to run him down. Those cars are scary fast off the line. Still looks like an egg to me. :D :usa:

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's an awesome story. It's funny when Porsche guys talk about how their car is better quality. My Viper is daily driven and has had ZERO mechanical problems, while I know lots of people with Porsches who have problems all the time.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally agree on the above.
Fun post.

Having said that, over here a Porsche makes more sense.
There are some locals who drive their Turbobs in winter (in the snow !).
They've got the extra set of wheels with skinny winter tires and 4WD. I am jealous.
My Viper has been in storage for months :(

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper turns waaaaaaay more heads than the Turbo especially if you've got other goodies under the hood like supercharger, cam, headers ....... I used to own a Turbo and would love to get another one as a daily driver.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Viper turns waaaaaaay more heads than the Turbo especially if you've got other goodies under the hood like supercharger, cam, headers ....... I used to own a Turbo and would love to get another one as a daily driver.

Let me chop off my arm and I will come see you! That should at least be good for a down payment for your TT Porshce...right? LOL! :D :laugh:

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Dodge had stamped out hundreds of thousands (millions?) of Viper's, basically unchanged, over the last 40 yrs., do you think anyone would give it a second glance?

Porsches are a dime a dozen (well, err...except this one):
You must be registered for see images attach

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The silver lining in being a Porsche owner is that there are not a ton of Vipers cruising the streets so they are not embarrassed by us very often. Man car guys hate it when we take our snakes for a roll...there pride and joy becomes invisible.

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The silver lining in being a Porsche owner is that there are not a ton of Vipers cruising the streets so they are not embarrassed by us very often. Man car guys hate it when we take our snakes for a roll...there pride and joy becomes invisible.

I know, I know.... The only car that get's a better spot than mine come time to valet is the Viper. Pulled up to a club one night and there were TWO Lamborghini Diablo's :rolleyes: (isn't that the equivalent of two women showing up wearing the same dress?). They got moved to the side lot. I overheard the valet's arguing about who was going to park my car. Then some dude show's up in a Viper... :(

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was even worse was they released the Boxster which looked just like the more expensive 911 from the front, and now Porsche is a dime a dozen. Sort of like BMW's and Mercedes. The Club removed the velvet rope and let everybody in. Sort of loses its luster when that happens.

Dock (Atlanta)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He pretended that he did not look over and acted as if the Viper was garbage next to his Porsche. I could tell he was a little intimidated by the GTS though.

The Viper and Porsche Turbo are both great cars, but I just don't get it when people claim to know what the guy next to them is thinking. Unless you know the guy, or talk to him and really find out, there's no way you can know he thought your car was "garbage", or that he was intimidated by the GTS.

OP
OP
P

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Porsche makes great cars, and I know you can never really know what anyone is thinking. But this also holds true even when someone is talking to you. Body language can tell you more about what a person is thinking than what they are saying. I also took into account his other nonverbal behaviors like, almost hitting the car in front of him (as if the Viper distracted his driving), revving his engine after he stopped, when pulling up along side of his 911 and pretending like he never noticed (looked half way with his eyes many times), and the real cocky look on his face.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but I just don't get it when people claim to know what the guy next to them is thinking.

Some of us can tell. We have experiences during our lives that repeat over and over and 99.9% of the time we end up with the same conclusion. I think that's why I'm still single. If I got married at 18, I wouldn't have known the things I could and couldn't live with in a wife. Now that I'm 39, I can read all the signals from a mile away. The other day, a girl I'm intoduced to shows no interest in me whatsoever. The group starts chit-chatting and my buddy says 'Dave drives a Viper'. All of a sudden, the eyes open and the glances start. Now she's willing to show interest and actually speak to me. Of course, my body language now tells her I'm on to her game, and I ain't gonna get played by a user.

I could be wrong....

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A guy I know has a mint condition 1973 911. I swear that when you walk by it, it still looks like a 2005 911. Other than the chrome trim around the headlights...what's really changed?????

It's like how my first car was a 1972 VW Bug. I had it for a year or so, and I still can't identify what year a Bug is. They all look the same to me, except for the minor tail light changes.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of Porches-- saw a Carrera GT on 85 Saturday, and me without my old gen one! They are good looking- from the rear. John, needing to drive the viper more often.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I’m running errands today and I drive through a local college area. I got the usually horns, beeps and stares. While waiting at a light to make a left turn, behind a van, a silver Porsche 911 turbo, probably a ’01 or ’02, pulled along aside about a half car length in front and hit his brakes hard almost hitting the car in front of him. I was thinking he was probably looking at my Viper. The guy (mid-twenties) revs his engine, I guess to showoff, and I wait a second and pull up more to line up with him. I look over and he has his hand way over the top of the steering wheel and a real cocky look on his face. He pretended that he did not look over and acted as if the Viper was garbage next to his Porsche. I could tell he was a little intimidated by the GTS though. I was just thinking the 911 turbo is a nice car. A few seconds go by and two college guys in a van, driving in the opposite lane slow down and yell, EEEHAAAAA!!! and driver waves his arm out the window at my Viper. I tried to hold back my laugh, but the timing could not have been better. The 911 driver must have felt invisible next to the Viper and probably never had anyone ever respond that way to his more expensive Porsche.

Is it possible at all that your own insecurities about the guy next to you in the more expensive car skewed your perception of what was going on in the turbo driver's head just a little bit?

cobramadness

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had a new Carrera GT pull up next to me in an empty parking lot off of I-85 in Atlanta one night. Oh yea, one of it's rears was flat! Doesn't really add to this thread, but I found it interesting.