Cryogenic treatment for tranny?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm interested in deep cryogenic treatment, as I'm wanting to strengthen my tranny and diff. I've found a company in the UK that does it. I've read up on the process, and it sounds good, I'm going to get brake rotors done also. What parts of the tranny should I get treated, I guess input/main shaft and all gears? Any comments, thoughts, experience welcome...
Thanks.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nadine,
I've done some research on cryo treatment. It is used by people in all sorts of fields.
Musical instruments, guitar strings, golf balls, rifle barrels, gears, you name it.

The problem I found was that there seems to be no hard science behind any of this. I couldn't find any before and after specifications for anything treated by cryo.

See if you can find any real engineering papers on cryo. See if you can find NASA or the aerospace industry using cryo.

There are many claims but little science.
Brake rotors are one component that seems to be most generally agreed to benefit from cryo. The claim is that it reduces friction and makes the rotors last longer. Of course, you want friction in a brake rotor so I'm not sure what's really going on.
And if you believe it's good to treat the rotors, they will then tell you that the pads need treatment too.

Anyway, do the science and make your own decision. There are quite a few big race teams that will swear by cryo. Lots of people believe in it.
If it's good for rifle barrels, trombones and golf balls, perhaps it will help your tranny.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nadine talk to Devin @ Unitrax there is some things available better than straight Cryogenic for the diff. I am their R & D dept for Unitrax (haha). The Roe S/C produce so much HP and torque in the lower RPM bands. Larry Macedo and Devin and myself all know what to do and what not to do when you are pushing the Roe S/C's to the higher power ranges.

Cudaman :usa: