CTS V to Dodge 2008 Viper

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello, ive just traded a 09 cts v for a 08 viper coupe. Ive went from fun to more fun. This car is amazing.
You must be registered for see images attach

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '08 Viper roadster and just ordered a '12 CTS-V Wagon, but I'll keep both for double the fun.
The V will simply replace my current SRT8 Jeep.
BTW , Nice choice of Viper !

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Viper! Congrats and enjoy! (Don't get bit on a cold or wet road!!) Get ready for a lot more attention, and remember, you have nothing to prove! :2tu:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Def. not dailey drivers. Maybe 4000 miles a year just on weekends, sunny days, track days, and auto x. The cadillac was a great car. I also had a 05 CTS V, but the viper is so much better, for speed, handling, looks, just raw power. The worst thing about the 09 cadillac is that it was actually to smooth, the 05 was a lil rougher riding and more muscle car feeling, the 09 was like riding in an actually caddy other than the power. The viper on the other hand is like riding in a 600 hp go kart. I thought i would miss the cadillac, but i actually dont at all. This was a great choice. :smirk:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two completely different cars. Not really a good comparison, that is why I own both. My V is the daily driver, Viper is just a weekend toy.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome! If I had to choose one over the other, the Viper would stay...as long as either car is strictly a toy...

OP
OP
L

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes viper as a toy, cts v if using as a daily driver. My Dailey drivers are a gmc duramax truck and a 2010 land rover sport supercharged. Not as fast as the jeep srt8 but not bad. I like anything with high torque.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt that the CTS-V is fine car. However, not too many cars are as entertaining as the Viper for the sunny weekends, track, and x-cross. Great choice :2tu:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those of you with the CTVs, do you have the 6 speed, especially with the wagon model? I test drove a 2010 CTV sedan but I though it was little noisy (tires) for a luxury car; I liked my SRT8 300 much better for almost half the money.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those of you with the CTVs, do you have the 6 speed, especially with the wagon model? I test drove a 2010 CTV sedan but I though it was little noisy (tires) for a luxury car; I liked my SRT8 300 much better for almost half the money.

The "non-luxury sport sedan" Caddy comes through with Michelin PS2s...arguably the best tire on the market:dunno:

Buy a base Caddy, or base Benz/BMW if you want quiet...the top of the line sport models of each car are going to have harsher suspension, noiser tires etc...

Lastly, at nearly $50k, the SRT-8 is hardly half the price:lmao:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "non-luxury sport sedan" Caddy comes through with Michelin PS2s...arguably the best tire on the market:dunno:

Buy a base Caddy, or base Benz/BMW if you want quiet...the top of the line sport models of each car are going to have harsher suspension, noiser tires etc...

Lastly, at nearly $50k, the SRT-8 is hardly half the price:lmao:

You're right on the MSRP but I was thinking what I actually got the car for new. It was heavily discounted - I got it for $36K althought the MSRP was $49K. The SRT8 has an excellent performance suspension but it was significantly quieter than the CTSV. I don't remember the tires on it but if they were the PS2s, I'm surprised because the ones on the SRT8 are Goodyear Eagle F1s which generally isn't as good a tire. I won't buy a base anything but it seems to me part of the reason these luxury cars are so much heavier is due to the insulation that ought to drown out most the road noise and other mechanical noises, even in a performance car. I thought the CTSV was just about as noisy as my Viper with the runcraps. It will be noisier than the regular Cad but that much?

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought one of the first 09 CTS-Vs produced in the Fall of 08. I still have it and it is the longest I have kept a DD. I traded an M5 for it. The V is a great car but you cannot compare it to a Viper. Apples /oranges. There is a small chance they will produce a vert version. I would buy it for sure.

OP
OP
L

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive put about 400 miles on the car this week. Yes it is a beautiful car, its funny the people that point and take pictures of you driving down the road, had one guy follow me and pull in to ask me about it. Unreal. We have very few vipers around here in my part of WV i know of 1 or possilby 2. My cts v was a manual. It was quiet and i thought kinda boring, comparied to this.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine is an auto trans. Michelin PS2 tires are a little noisy, but tires can be changed. SRT8 doesn't compare at all, especially when you put the throttle to the floor. There are discounts on the V also, if you shop around. I got mine at $9K off MSRP - brand new. The auto trans V's are a little quicker than the manuals, mostly due to how well the auto cars can get off the line and stay in full boost between shifts.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on your purchase, you wont regret it. The PA/WV club is actually planning a cruise in the WV/VA area in October, we are also planning a cruise in western PA in Sept, feel free to give me a shout if you are interested in meeting with us.

Carmen

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How does the V compare to a Gen II/III/IV in a straight line? Don't they trap in the low 120's for the quarter mile?

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does the V compare to a Gen II/III/IV in a straight line? Don't they trap in the low 120's for the quarter mile?

Most of the V tests show a 1/4 mile time of 12.3 with trap speeds ranging from 115 to 119 mph
As soon as I get my 12 V wagon, I'll drive it for a week or two and then hit the track to check it out.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A siix speed CTSV wagon sounds like a real kick! I'm thinking of getting dogs so this would make a great dog wagon.