Damaged Viper

paullair

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 1996 Blue GTS with 8000 miles, bought in Vegas. Looks brand new until the local dealer took it for a test drive. He did $34k in damage, (my cost) to which the my insurance company says should have cost $14k. Anyway is now has a salvage title in IOWA. What I need is someplace I can get a written :confused: appraisal of the current value of my fixed Viper. It still looks showroom new, has all new parts, etc. but what is it worth. Why , you ask do I want to know. The dealer who wrecked the car has not paid me one thin dime for the damage, and I was forced to sue the fine dealership. Now I need a written appraisal of the BEAST!!!

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
O.K., when I was 16-17, I worked at a shop and pretty much got to drive almost every type of vehicle. I damaged a brand new 911. All I would have been responsible for is the $500 deductible of the company's insurance(it is a long story). If a dealer wrecked your car, it is their responsibility to repair it. That is why they have insurance. Did you put out the money already? Or is it in the shop awaiting payment? Who did the work, and charged you 34g's? Looks like you also need to contact your state licensing agency, and have the body shop investigated for being rip-offs.

OP
OP
P

paullair

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks,
I've gotten no action from anyone, so, a friend of mine owns a body shop, he put the car back together again. The nose was cracked, and my insurance company wanted us to glue it together, but we replaced it instead. We could only get it painted from Chrysler for $10,223.00, and then the stripes did not match. All money came out of my pocket. Car looks and drives better than new. I just don't want the dealer to get away with this. They screw enough people the way it is.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
paullair,
How about posting the VIN of the car.
How about posting the name of the dealership.

When the dealer damaged your car, did you get a police report on the accident?

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think that that "branded" title would definately affect the appraisal as far as a collector or enthusiast goes.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a Lawyer NOW! Don't screw around, :mad: the money you put out now will be return 10 fold due to *input lots of legal terms here* :D . Just do it,

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This might not be much help, but I remember being told from my dealer that if damage were ever to happen to your car while under their possession, they are not responsible and do not look to them for a dime. That's why you have insurance. This is noted on the forms you sign when you leave the car.

AC

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
That's not true. Just because there is a sign or paper, that does not excuse them from liabilty. While it might hold sway that if someone hit it, the dealer would not be liable. If they are driving it, and wreck it, you better be sure that they ARE responsible, and that's why they carry insurance. I know lawyers who've bled dealers for not securing a vehicle and it got broken into. This is complete negligence of reasonable expectations. Get lawyer. Sue for full damages, associated costs(lawyers), and punitive damages. They screwed you, now, SCREW THEM.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shortly after I bought my car, a Dodge dealer in Prince Frederic MD damaged it while it was in their shop for mechanical work.
They put a big scratch in the hood. They claimed that all they were requires to do was repaint the hood.
I had to fight with these jerks for a week until I came to an agreement. They sent the car out for a total good paint job and I paid $1k.

OP
OP
P

paullair

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I HAVE A LAWYER, AND WE HAVE FILED SUIT......Now the dealers insurance company wants to settle. This is why I need a written appraisal.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealer that damaged my car, see above, seemed to think that I had to let them do the repair work. I did, in the end, let them send it to their paint shop but I don't think I had to do it that way.

They had backed a company truck with a high bed over the hood. That high bed caused the big scrape mark in the top of the hood.
I told them that as far as I was concerned it was a simple traffic accident and they were obviously at fault. The fact that it happened on their lot and that they had control of my car for a week before the accident, didn't change anything. It was a fender bender, that's all.

I even asked them if they had a police report on the accident. Of course, they didn't.
I told them I wanted to exchange insurance information. They refused.

It was at this point that they made the offer I accepted.
I think I would have had to go to court to get any more out of them. They were jerks about the whole thing.

Both Stacks Blowin'

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paullair,

Why could you only get DailmerChrysley to paint your car, especially for the sum of $10,223? Who insisted on this, the garage, insurance company, WHO????

The paint is available anywhere, even in Europe, you have pais too much (unless the majority of the cost is in labour to do the job. In plain English, YOU SEEM TO HAVE BEEN DONE!!!!!

Where did you get the estimate of £34k for the repair work. If you go to court you will need to substantiate this figure.

P.S. Is Vegas not a long way from Iowa???

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of Paullair's story makes any sense.

How about posting the VIN of the car.
How about posting the name of the dealership.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I HAVE A LAWYER, AND WE HAVE FILED SUIT......Now the dealers insurance company wants to settle. This is why I need a written appraisal.

Contact a Viper friendly dealer like Woodhouse Dodge or Tator Dodge.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang