Dash color/finish on new parts

92original

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks, hoping someone has some experience here with this. I have an untouched original 92. Obviously the grey dash finish is all sticky and tired as the known issue. I am determined to try something. However the first step for me was to acquire a new part to see what it's supposed to look like. I bought a new in box glove box door. I'm surprised how much lighter and smoother the color and texture is. Can anyone chime in that has replaced any of these panels over the years, are the new gray parts just primer or is that how the finish actually was before it broke down?
Pics attached
You must be registered for see images attach

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Your NOS Glovebox door is exactly what the entire IP looked like when new, before atmospheric pollution degraded it.

Tidbit: Carroll Shelby signed about 100 of these boxes for Fitzgerald M/SPorts back in the day. [I took my spare and had Shelby, Lutz, Gale, and Sjoberg autograph mine.]

Real_Maverick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to find the paint code for the original dash. Thinking of pulling mine and having it refinished back to original color but I can't seem to find any info on the correct color match.

Walter Clark

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what the plastic looked like on my dash after stripping the old soft touch finish away. It is a gray plastic, but seems to be a shade lighter than your new door.

I never had an opportunity to touch a new gen 1 dash, but it was supposed to be done in a 'soft touch' finish. I know some parts of my 2001 Audi are done in a black 'soft touch' and to touch it you might think it was covered in a thin rubber. I would assume the original finish on the Viper would be a little like that.

By the way, I went with a matte black. With age, the other vinyl grays on the Viper interior have changed tone (and the knee bolsters havent aged the same as the seats) so I didnt want to introduce a third gray, or try to custom match either of the current gray shades. Instead I matched the satiny sheen of the top of the dash so they blend.

Attachments

• Main dash stripped.jpg
    Main dash stripped.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
92original

92original

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I have someone in specialty paints working on it. To be honest the new glove box door doesn't feel that "soft" which was partly why I asked the original question. Wasn't sure if it was a known fact back when these parts were available that you could just buy and bolt them on and it was as new. Or is it just primer.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I ended up painting my mom's 94 with plastidip of all things. It's actually kind of like a soft touch finish itself and theoretically is reversible, though not sure what it would do to a degrading finish under it if you tried to peel it off. The black looks way better overall, but I get wanting to keep a stock look.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'92 I saw the old ebay listing for the glove box door you have. In looking close at the 3rd picture I can see that the texture seems correct, kind of like a lite grit sandpaper finish

I'm sure that they didn't sell the OEM replacement dash parts in Primer. They only made 2 colors, your Gray version and the Black version (which I have). For '94-'95 you could get tan leather seats and they came with a black dash. So they just sold the 2 OEM versions, Gray and Black.

I had bought a OEM replacement Black glove box 10-15 years ago. It had the OEM "grit" finish. I couldn't find a new black dash so I sold the glove box a few years ago. For me with a 26k mi Viper, its much more cost effective to me to just have my dash painted.

Good luck finding a new dash. Beyond sourcing a new one, I would wonder even in the original packaging if it would still look new? The finish when new was great and unique but I don't think that Dodge had any clue on how long the finish would last. Best wishes!! Mike

Chad Spackman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did my 94. I had a body shop do it. I just told them to treat it like a bumper. Has a satin finish. I’ve been without a dash for a year. So this is a big change!!

Attachments

• BE63BA13-5EF1-4941-B37B-FC81C7C68F13.jpeg
    BE63BA13-5EF1-4941-B37B-FC81C7C68F13.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 16
  • 44B1024B-817B-45D9-8574-F007EA044903.jpeg
    44B1024B-817B-45D9-8574-F007EA044903.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 16