Dealer has excess 04's....pricing?

StratusR/T

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealer has excess 04\'s....pricing?

I live near a dealer that has about 6-7 04's leftover and 2-3 05's. At what price point would I not look like a total ass going in there and trying to walk away with an 04? At what point would having these vehicles begin to hurt the dealer? Would they ever just totally dump them? I was thinking 65K was fair, but after some adivce from another dealer, they said that that price would never fly. Help!!?

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Dealer has excess 04\'s....pricing?

Assuming all these cars are new and not used, I'd be looking to pay $69-71K for the '04's (maybe another couple thousand for a Mamba edition). Invoice on the '05's is around $77,200, so anything around that is a good deal. Again, Mambas and Copperheads have an invoice that's $3-5K higher. I think paying invoice for an '05 is a good deal. I'm sure others will suggest far less. Of course, you can offer anything to start negotiations. You would think with that many Vipers in stock, this dealer would be very willing to deal. On the other hand, I would think he'd have already dumped the '04's if he was going to dump them. And don't be afraid to call Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge if this guy is unwilling to deal.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Why would a dealer who can't sell Vipers, bring in so many?......and sell at a loss!...and then bring in 05's :confused:

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

65K is the magic number, and that is for a new '05. You have to remember dealers and their advice is to keep the cost of these cars higher (more profit). There are soooo many of these SRT/10's sitting both new & used i'll be patient. Once the new coupe hits the streets more of the SRT's will become available. That '04 your looking at is 2 years old according to the auto industry. Mamba's, Copperheads, Commerative Edditions....Smoke & mirrors to help sell a car that is not selling. How many special editions does this SRT / 10 have? We have Red Mambas, Black Mambas, White Mambas, Copperheads, VCA Special EDitions, and the new Commerative Edition. All of these were created to help the sales of a car that can't sell out on its own. IHO is that the longer these cars sit and don't sell they will come down. If you don't buy they can't sell.

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The coupe will be the answer to sell more SRTS. Dodge builds too many editions that are not very limited at all. I woudn't pay top dollar for a car that's 2 years old. Dealers should take the hit, not the buyers.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The SRT-10 prices seem to be pretty low now, and in my opinion, all they can do is continue to drop with the new coupe and beefier C6 and Z06. I honestly wasn't considering the GenIII until they started popping up on my GenII searches. I honestly prefer the rough edges (the level of refinement) and smooth body curves of the GenI&II, but the GenIII is also a beautiful car. If I can get a newer car at a similar price with more power and possibly a warrantee, I'd be a fool not to buy it.

I don't mean to insult anyone, I love these cars, that's why I want one, just speculating on the market...

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score

What New Orleans dealer has all those SRT-10s in stock? If you’re serious maybe we can join forces and see if they’ll sell two '04s for $65k each or none at all. Just a thought. Let me know.

OP
OP
S

StratusR/T

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry, I am not in New Orleans, I now live in North Carolina (active duty military). The dealer in question is hendrick dodge. I have approached them, and they won't even break out of the 73K range which is just stupid to me. But hey, there loss, not mine.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry, I am not in New Orleans, I now live in North Carolina (active duty military). The dealer in question is hendrick dodge. I have approached them, and they won't even break out of the 73K range which is just stupid to me. But hey, there loss, not mine.

Hendrix is absolutely terrible, but it is *possible* that changes may be in the works - PM me for more info. I assume you are in Fayettenam?

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm afraid I low-balled the 05 invoice price. It's around $78,700 for most 05's, not the $77,200 I posted. That's what happens when I trust my memory. Sorry for the confusion.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hendrick ain't gonna deal. I wondered if it was them when you said there were that many. They will just let them sit. Then they'll give them to some of the nascar boys and write them off somehow if they have to.

OP
OP
S

StratusR/T

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yea, i called them back, posed the 65K question again, and was blown off. There response was that they sell vipers very well, no need to lower price. My question, is if they sell them so well, how come they have so many left on the lot? Oh well.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually, talking to Hendrick is how I met Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse. I had no concept of delivery to my door with an enclosed trailer so I was looking for the closest dealer to buy and drive home. I was so irritated at their arrogance I went back to the drawing board, which was actually a Dupont Registry ad that is still running with six dealers listed and called them all, the Roanke guys were impressive but Pemberton spent TWO HOURS on the phone with me explaining Vipers, the good, the bad and the ugly. I also learned a couple new accents and heard several astounding jokes. Everyone who has dealt with Bill will agree on this one. I would second Chris's advice and call him. Link at the top of the page or
[url="http://www.woodhouse.com"]www.woodhouse.com
[/url]

Here's a recent example of someone who came to the board seeking advice about dealers.

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB21&Number=576727&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

And a little bit later, like ONE DAY.

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB21&Number=577264&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Priceless.

milt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

77,300 is what I paid for my 05 at E-TOWN DODGE in Elizabethtown, Pa.
When I asked about the car, they told me that they had it for four months and needed to move it..And that I was only the second person in that time that was even more that just curious about it..
77,300 is about 1,000 less than they paid for it...
My brother-in-law (who is a used car dealer in Kansas) found an 04 at a dealership Springfield, Mo. that had never been titled with 800 miles for 71,000..
but I opted for the 05 (a year newer with less than 40 miles),,Plus it was only about 120 miles from my home as opposed to half way across the country..
What ever you decide, please keep in mind( according to Bill Pemberton) that the first 400 miles are critical to the life of a Viper engine.
Milton
'05 black SRT10

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My brother-in-law (who is a used car dealer in Kansas) found an 04 at a dealership Springfield, Mo. that had never been titled with 800 miles for 71,000..
but I opted for the 05
Milton
'05 black SRT10
An untitled "new" car with 800 miles -- I'm sure all the people who test drove that puppy were mindful of the break-in process and babied the car.

You were wise to pass on it.

Wifey's Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Local dealers here will move an 05 Mamba that's not even on the lot for 74,800. Desperate to move the 2005's.

Joel Smith- Hendrick

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Joel Smith GM at Hendrick Dodge- Do you guys have any idea what invoice is on the Vipers even with holdback? I just purchased my 2004 Viper for $74000 from myself. Where does $65k come from? $20000 off would be awesome. I have 3 2004s and 3 2005s left that Im very willing to deal on with the huge 2006 allocation on its way. Im the nw GM and we are looking to be a volume Viper dealer and not the stuffy dealer some of you have noticed in the past. We look forward to a relationship with you all and Im excited to be a new owner myself.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Well, gotta Joel credit for coming on here and representing himself, that shows character.

Joel, a question if I may- Does Hendrick pay the same flooring charges as most other dealers? I ask this, because it seems they aren't in the same "move-it-or-lose-it" modus operendi that some dealers are in.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice post Joel, but as you can see in this thread alone, you have a lot of past reputation problems to overcome. I look forward to hearing of changes.

Wifey's Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joel, that seems surprising. I was just offered a 2005 Silver Mamba with 4 miles on it for $75k. $74k for a 2004 seems high.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good to see Joel here - Hendrick Dodge has increased their involvement with the Viper and performance community and have pledged their support with competitive pricing, great aftermarket options and open dialog with the local club.

They are looking to add a performance shop and are establishing some new exciting relationships with valued, long term members of the Viper aftermarket community.

Previously, I was the first one to say "friends don't let friends buy from Hendrick" ;) , but have been VERY favorbly impressed with Joel's leadership at Henrick Dodge in Cary. They also have a white with blue stripe SRT commemorative edition on the way - and I know they'd love to have it sold before it arrives......

Look for more announcements as they are firmed up!

One thing that Joel failed to mention is that he traded his Corvette suspiciously close to his return home from his first Viper Days event!!!!!! Ha! Another convert and track ****** - I love it!

Welcome, Joel - to the VCA!!!! Your first year membership is FREE!

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In march, I purchased a untitled, driven only by the gen manager, silver 04 srt, with 3000 miles for $63K. This was at community dodge in Indianapolis. this car looks as new. I did, and still do, think I got a bargain.

OP
OP
S

StratusR/T

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Props to Joel for coming on here and posting. Not many dealers will visit forums, certainly shows he is trying. Nothing against you Joel, but there are dealers out there sitting on 04's that are willing to deal at 65K. If you don't want to play, nothing against you, but you had a number of 04s on the lot. I too would be curious about if you guys carry a flooring charge or not.

Once again, props to you coming to the board.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joel Smith GM at Hendrick Dodge- Do you guys have any idea what invoice is on the Vipers even with holdback? I just purchased my 2004 Viper for $74000 from myself. Where does $65k come from? $20000 off would be awesome. I have 3 2004s and 3 2005s left that Im very willing to deal on with the huge 2006 allocation on its way. Im the nw GM and we are looking to be a volume Viper dealer and not the stuffy dealer some of you have noticed in the past. We look forward to a relationship with you all and Im excited to be a new owner myself.

Joel, I'm always willing to give a business person a second chance. And if Janni Cone stands up for you that's pretty strong. But actually a bunch of us DO know what invoice and holdback is. And if you sold YOURSELF an 04 for $74,000 you must have had some tax or other business related reason to do that. Or as others mention you don't care about the floorplan charges building up. That's just not a believable price right now for a leftover 04. 2 months ago yes, but the 06's have gone waaay past KZ status and the 04 is now 2 years old not one. I'm sure you know all that, look around on this forum and you will see Bill Pemberton from Woodhouse and the guys from Roanoke showcasing the NEW news.
One of the reasons these guys sell the greater share of Vipers in this country because they give GREAT deals on leftovers AND they are completely open and honest regarding pricing. Do they give the new one's away...nope, but they have a uniformly fair pricing policy that they apply to all, and that saves the stories that float around due to the typical sales guy thinking he can rip off a wealthy customer on an exotic car just cause he's got the bucks. My experience with your store was just as if I was a neon customer, and the discussion was only related to price. I learned nothing about the car. Now how can you sell something if all you have to say is high price but no features and advantages and zero product knowledge and NO rapport building? As I said, Pemberton spent two hours on the phone and he did not push at all, he gave me a Viper EDUCATION and said call back when you're ready. He also said he could get any car I wanted and I did not have to take what was sitting on a dealers lot. YOUR guy told me I better grab that silver RT with the connelly interior that had been sitting with you guys for six months because these cars were impossible to find even if what I really wanted was a black GTS. I think you can tell what I got from my avatar. And see the following thread for why your comment about selling yourself one for $74,000 sounds like the same old Hendrick store I remember. And this was a deal I casually created with one question to the dealer late saturday afternoon. The car left the store early this morning, monday. $69,900. The dealers contact info is obviously in the thread if you don't believe. Welcome to the VCA and I really hope you will carry through with the changes. The southeast could really use a VCA type dealer who contributes. And the Hendrick name is certainly known for motorsports. And say hello to the big guy for me, I met him when our 38 Scarabs were built side by side in Jon Conners/Don Pruetts shop in Sarasota in 1987.

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB21&Number=582460&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Joel Smith- Hendrick

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks for the comments guys. We do all floor the same for the most part. I guess my main problem with the current inventory here is that we purchased many of these at invoice from other dealers to beef up allocation and we just have not written them down as maybe we should have. Many of the dealers that are offering the prices mentioned only sell one or two Vipers a year and get scared to have them on the lot, so they start writing them down very quickly ($2000-$3000 mth) to get the product to move. Like I said previously I do have a few Viper inventory left and need to be creative to get in the ballgame.Im very excited about getting this dealership a new reputation. We do have great allocation for the 2006 model year. Cant wait to get to know you all. Thanks again for all the response and thoughts.

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Westside Dodge in Mocksville, NC (near Charlotte) has a red '04 with 16 miles for $69,995. Seems a bit high for a red but it gives another perspective on "leftover" '04's. Person to contact at the dealership is Robby. He has been pleasant to deal with. Bob Major, Internet Salesperson, has been easy to work with at Hendrick Dodge but would not entertain offers on '04's with a $6 in the front. I was surprised considering they have so many '04's and '05's still on the lot. I am also not far away in Richmond.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the comments guys. We do all floor the same for the most part. I guess my main problem with the current inventory here is that we purchased many of these at invoice from other dealers to beef up allocation and we just have not written them down as maybe we should have. Many of the dealers that are offering the prices mentioned only sell one or two Vipers a year and get scared to have them on the lot, so they start writing them down very quickly ($2000-$3000 mth) to get the product to move. Like I said previously I do have a few Viper inventory left and need to be creative to get in the ballgame.Im very excited about getting this dealership a new reputation. We do have great allocation for the 2006 model year. Cant wait to get to know you all. Thanks again for all the response and thoughts.

Well said! So now let's sell some Vipers. What's the price on an 04, I think you know where we all feel that should be. If the 04's are gone what's the price on an 05? Throw it out, if you've been looking around you can see a few cars have moved that way on this site. And I see where you're coming from with paying full boat to get cars from other dealers. You may lose your shirt, but that was the dealerships decision, to pump up inventory and perhaps allocation even if it narrowed the profit margin considerably. So you're stuck, because the customer (us) does not care about all the above, we are coldhearted, calculating bastages who want the best deal we can get and we don't care if the cars were bought from another dealer cause someone had a big ego and wanted a lot full of snakes AND maybe increased allocation next year. And we just love those small dealers that let their Snakes go cheap cause they write them down too quick. So what's the price on those 04's and 05's? I'm serious, there are a lot of guys looking right now. Throw a price on them and you might move them here.

Joel Smith- Hendrick

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Ok guys. I just got the 2005 Commemorative Edition in today (35/100). I am also getting together rock bottom pricing on the 3 2004 and 2 2005s I have left. We just received bonus bucks from Chrysler to help move the product. Stand by for great pricing. Joel

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96