deciding between a 1996 rt10 or a 1996 GTS

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For sure those are US prices Dave, count on 75-80 for 96-97 GTS, and mid 80's for 98-99 in Canada if you can find one.

Can't comment on GENI with any certainity, although Craig's deal sounds pretty sweet if you do a cursory check of all Viper for sale in Ontario at autotrader.ca, and then link out of Ontario from there.

Sure that email works, tried to send the large file, if it can't handle 3 meg then no go!!

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, yes those were in US Dollars. I was accounting for the mileage on the GTS. Those are what I think are good prices, having watched the market for the past 6 months. However I was only watching the US. Hope that helps some.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, yes those were in US Dollars. I was accounting for the mileage on the GTS. Those are what I think are good prices, having watched the market for the past 6 months. However I was only watching the US. Hope that helps some.

There is definately a difference between the markets. Up here there are very few cars for sale. The dry market helps sellers tremendously in getting a good dollar for their car. With so few cars on the market buyers tend to jump pretty quick.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those prices are too high for those cars! You can get a nice, low mile 96 GTS for $45k. Pretty easily!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those prices are too high for those cars! You can get a nice, low mile 96 GTS for $45k. Pretty easily!

In the US yes, but after you factor in conversion and duty plus converting the speedo (hits re-sale value HARD) and then getting the day time running lamps installed you're gonna spend quite a bit. Up here ya gotta take what you can get unless you want to forego the hassle. Sure it's worth it if you get a good deal and I really can't compare as I don't know the price of the GTS he's looking at up here.

Is a high miles 96 worth 45K? It is blue/white afterall....

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
depends on the buyer.

Case in point is the ******* who paid 130ishK for Don Jonsons personal cuda from nash bridges. It was a hacked up clone based on a 1973 cuda hardtop that had the roof cut off. The guy got stupid and paid insane money for the car and is now trying to unload it.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can beleive it. It looked like total crap on TV on Speed Channels auction coverage. The engine compartment couldn't have been any further from correct. What a waste of 1971 Cuda parts.

S

sachin

wait around for a good deal, last year I sold an 01 RT/10 with around 6500kms for $84000cdn. If I come accross any I for sure will let people on the board know.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I keep hearing people say they can by a 1996 for 45k with low miles but I really never saw it. Don't get me wrong I know people who have bought their Viper's for incredible deals. But to be honest, they are the exception not the rule. As of 3 months ago the going rate for a 5k mile 96GTS was 50k. Any less you were getting a good deal. Any more you were paying too much. I hate to use the lowest price available and call that the rule. Especially since some of the lower price cars have issues or a track history.
Now if you are talking about a 97 or 98 non-blue car that might be different. I have seen those prices around 47 on average with some going much lower.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a ton of them in that price range. A friend of mine paid like $46k for his 2,000 mile 96 that was absolutely perfect! One with that many miles should be devalued AT LEAST $10k, if not more! If he paid $45k for that car, he'd need some Vaseline to come with it. ;)

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car Lover, I would say those prices are in US $$. Personally, I have a white 96 RT, which I don't want to sell, but if I did I would
not take less that $40K US...My car has 11K miles, no track time, 4 yr extended warranty, hard and soft tops, usual mods (Smoothies
and filters, stereo, Corsa cat back and HF cats...)

96 RTs are quite rare, but I have not seen any indication that as of yet this yeilds higher values...In contrast, the 96 and 97
blue/white GTS's do yield higher dollars...

First I think you should decide what car is right for your use, RT or GTS...Amount of rain you will be driving
in being a major decision I would think...ALso your desire for open air driving!

Also, I cannot state with certainty, but I have not heard of a GEN II engine being put into a GEN I (1.5) car due to warranty. As
I understand it, an Arrow rebuild would be the normal course of action in the event of some engine failure...I think this warrants more research.
Many folks suggest a GEN I car with an Arrow rebuild makes the car MORE desireable, not necessarily worth more money, but
more desirable due to the head gasket being fixed, and other improvements.

96 RT does have the same updated suspension as the 96 GTS...But with a 415hp GEN I engine...I have been told the hp gain
is due to the free flowing rear exit exhaust, which of course started on the 96 RT. There are differences in the interiors, most
notably seats I think...

Good luck with your search, feel free to e-mail me with Q's about the 96 RT, if I can answer em I will!

Tomer

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BigCarrot, I am not trying to argue but I think the numbers you are quoting are the exception and not the rule. This gives potential buyers the wrong idea when they go car hunting. I know someone on this board that bought a 99 GTS with 5k miles for 47k. Now would you consider that a normal price because one guy got it? I wouldn't.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a pretty good price. Not the best I've seen, but good. These cars are cheap right now!

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at quite a few 96 GTS's and usually anything under 46-47 is suspect. A good example of a low mile 96 GTS is worth every penny of 50K. As always... there is always someone finding a cherry for a lot less. I never found one for a "deal" price in the year or so I was looking.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
car lover.... how can you resist the looks of this car??? Get the RT..... it's going to be a classic....

You must be registered for see images

MMMMMMMMM.......black RT......

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car Lover, yes, the Gen I's are known for a head gasket issue...Gen 1.5's also. Don't let that single handedly turn
you off, but factor it into your decision...

Do a search and you will find a tonne of posts/info about it...

Also, have you been able to check about the Gen II engine in a Gen I car...I am not an expert on this, but it
does not sound like what DC would do in a warranty situation.

Tomer

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at quite a few 96 GTS's and usually anything under 46-47 is suspect. A good example of a low mile 96 GTS is worth every penny of 50K. As always... there is always someone finding a cherry for a lot less. I never found one for a "deal" price in the year or so I was looking.

That's about what I paid for mine at 9200 miles (46.5)