Did a few laps at Pocono in an '08 Viper...

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the IMPA test days at Pocono this week, and Chrysler brought out a 2008 Viper in dark red with silver racing stripes. Unfortunately it was the convertible, as I was hoping for the ACR. Oh well!

It was my first time driving a 4th gen, and there are some good improvements. The transmission is a lot smoother, the PS2's are amazing, but I'm not sure I like the new hood, or the unpainted lower on the rear bumper.

The cheesy faux carbon fiber or whatever design they are going for on the dash is 10x worse than just the regular black plastic that is in my '03.

I couldn't tell much of a difference with the engine, aside from the fact that it looks rather different. When you have 510hp, it has to be hard to notice another 90hp. :p

However, on the track with the PS2's this car was awesome. I know compared to my Pilot Sport ZP's, these are 1,000,000x better, as everyone else on here already knows. I did manage to go sideways around one turn, but luckily I was able to save it. I was also the first person to take the car out, so the tires were cold as well.

On the back straight I easily hit 155mph, probably could have touched 160mph, but I didn't want to push it. It was the road course that was open, not the full circle, which was a great test for the cars.

All I know is that I need to get some new tires for my car... But I'll touch more on that in my autocross thread. ;)

- Anthony

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pocono is a great track for this car. I was running in the mid to high 150 range on the back with a bolt on 04. It could probably get into the 160s with a good driver.

90hp is a big difference.

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, but feeling 600hp when you are used to 510hp isn't as drastic of a difference. Ford had on hand a GT500 KR, but it was one of their prototype test cars, so they wouldn't let anyone drive it, just go for rides with their test driver.

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ADG - I'm within 2 hours of Pocono and would have been there had I known this was going on. Was the event invite only, or open (and if invite only, how do I get one next time :)?

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ADG - I'm within 2 hours of Pocono and would have been there had I known this was going on. Was the event invite only, or open (and if invite only, how do I get one next time :)?

You have to be a member of IMPA (International Motor Press Assosication). The test days were the only reason why I joined! :p

There were about 20 manufacturers on hand with automobiles. The Viper was the fastest, but the Porsche Boxster RS60 was by far the most fun. That car is perfection in every sense of the word.

- Anthony