Differential on Gen IV

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did my oil change today on my 09 vert and did a drain/fill on the diff fluid afterward. I noticed something a bit peculiar regarding the drain plug(s) on the differential casing.
Does anyone know why there are 2 drain plugs right next to each other on the lower portion of the casing? I would have expected to see only one. I just can't
grasp the logic in having 2. Hoping someone can answer this one. Thanks in advance.

Scott

:dunno:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One is the drain plug, the other is a provision for a diff oil cooler.
The return provision is the 'upper plug' that is above the 'fill' plug.

I always pull both plugs on the bottom to drain mine.

OP
OP
L

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One is the drain plug, the other is a provision for a diff oil cooler.
The return provision is the 'upper plug' that is above the 'fill' plug.

I always pull both plugs on the bottom to drain mine.

Thanks Allan. That makes perfect sense. I was having a Beavis and Butthead moment with that one yesterday.

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FWIW, the driver side plug is the lower of the two (internally) and should be the only one you need to remove in order to drain. You might get an additional thimble-full out of the passenger side plug after draining the first one...

You must be registered for see images

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have no complaints so far -- runs quiet, seems to do a great job of putting power down, etc., but I will also add that I haven't pushed it very hard yet. It only recently got warm enough here to support some aggressive driving, so now I need to get out there and do some of that... : )

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang