Dodge to pull out of NASCAR

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember in 2000 when Dodge announced they are getting back into "YAWNCAR". Soon after the announcement came, to our dismay, they were withdrawing from a factory backed campaign of the Viper, and then tried to tell us that the move to NASCAR had nothing to do with it. Didn't buy it then, but glad to see the Viper back in racing, even though I think it's only because things didn't work out for them in NASCAR. Oh well, what comes around, goes around.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember in 2000 when Dodge announced they are getting back into "YAWNCAR". Soon after the announcement came, to our dismay, they were withdrawing from a factory backed campaign of the Viper, and then tried to tell us that the move to NASCAR had nothing to do with it. Didn't buy it then, but glad to see the Viper back in racing, even though I think it's only because things didn't work out for them in NASCAR. Oh well, what comes around, goes around.

Absolutely correct. Dodge entering NASCAR killed the Viper racing budget, and benefited Corvette greatly. When Penske made their announcment a couple of months ago I was hoping that would end up for a Viper racing win. I'll bet a funded viper team, backed by Chrysler support, will be at LeMans. Maybe by '13, absolutely by '14. Let's get back to the viper racing glory days!!!!!

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
very little transfers from Nascar racing to our street cars. They literally adopted fuel injection only a few years ago. It is a very effective brand marketing play for lower to mid market demographics. The Viper GTS-R program transfers much to the street cars. I'm thrilled to see the GTS-R back on the track. Don't expect to see results this year, but it will happen

Dale.Volz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Good bye NASCAR

The move doesn't seem smart from a marketing standpoint given the size of the NASCAR audience and the potential for promoting brand recognition & loyalty. Let's face it: "SRT" and ALMS aren't going to sell many Chrysler products. Selfishly, however, I don't care and am thrilled to see Viper back in ALMS.

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Dodge decided to go to NASCAR they axed the tremendously successful Viper/Oreca road racing program.

Viper was dominant at that time. We won one championship after another. At the Daytona race, Viper not only beat all the other GTS competitors, but beat all the modified entrants too!.

The road racing program showed the world what Vipers were capable of. We began to sell Vipers all over Europe through Chrysler.

These were glory days indeed. The trophy cases began to fill up, ViperDays was hugely successful, Michelin partnered with Viper, the Compe Coupes ruled the local tracks, and the ACR-X Vipers were yet to be released.

Then it all came tumbling down. Oreca went away, the Compe Coupe ceased development, but the seed was sown, and the very successful run of ACR's and ACR-X's sold out even though the most expensive versions of all being sold to the faithful.

Dodge never became successful at NASCAR. Even Toyota cleaned their clock with their Camry (CAMRY!). They are running deal last, even their world renown driving team has deserted them for more successful manufacturers.

Dodge Viper production went dark. The factory borded up and left to rot. The Viper legend was put up for sale, and the vision was lost. The light went out...only a faint glimmer was kept alive by the very active and enthusiastic Viper Club of America, and a few who struggled behind the scenes and under the blankets.

Dodge began to make plans to race their 4 door charger. While it is a pretty nice car, the Challenger is the two door that traditionally goes to NASCAR. Guess it was still a better choice than to race MiniVans.

Now the glimmer has re-ignited. The Viper has been given more life. The pure heart of the Viper is once again being readied for battle on the tracks of the world. Backed up by a street edition, with the well proven design of craming a huge, powerful naturally aspirated engine into a lightweight chassis, engine hooked directly to the rear end with a standard edition 6 speed manual shifter, swadled with leather, and deep multi step paint the latest generation Viper has generated more calls to dealerships than ever before. The SRT team will channel some of the street Viper's financial success back into a racing effort.

From what I have gathered, the new factory effort to campaign Vipers in prestigeous world racing venues is being gone after with great gusto, preparation, and dedication. A great team of drivers has been recruited, and they have already entered their first American LeMans race. They are going to spend the rest of the year in development, and should be able to give the very well developed and sorted out Corvette race team a run for their money in 2013.

I look forward to the return of world racing drivers stars "Corey Vettsucks" and perhaps even the underrated "Porsche Blows" back to the roadracing circuits.

The ViperNation needs our Heros, and they are not to be found on the ovals of NASCAR.

Last edited:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Penske the Captain Rogey is switching to Ford next year for Nascar from Dodge and Dodge is spending the money on ALMS instead.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nascar is not putting up the crowds these days, i think its fizzled- they need to go back to raceing instead of playing patty cakes

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is important to remember there are no Dodge cars racing in NASCAR and there hasn't been for many many years. There are Dodge sponsored cars that wear represetative stickers and "trim" that make the cars appear different. The public knows there is no reason to buy a Dodge even if it did win on Sunday. Vipers returning to the track is exciting because it is so closely reated to our own Vipers. The Viper racing program can and should promote the SRT Brand much better than NASCAR with the Dodge brand.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nascar is not putting up the crowds these days, i think its fizzled- they need to go back to raceing instead of playing patty cakes

That has more to do with the economy than anything. Nobody is setting any attendance records. Baseball attendance is up but that's because it was dismal for so many years there was only one direction it could go.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think so, the public will go leaps and bounds for thereselves on anything fun, when is the last time you were at the trac and it wasnt sold out with your viper? the trac time in my region atleast allways sell out, quick.... they will buy booz and smokes and make the car payment later if its really really good, restraunts are jam packed on the weekends, good luck getting in a good one without a 2 hour wait.. nascar just is boreing- period, to many ***** waist youngblood rules.... get some old veterans that have been there done that and let them talk about how it should be run, not some school degree dude that is gonna figure it out with his schooled program that ads up to this nonsense that we have now, there is a place for everything, and school is great, but not with nascar, we need racecar knowledge managers that have been in the seat for rules. thats why the seats are empty. economy is a small factor, but make it great, like i said, the public will push aside all priorities to be there.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh and one more thing, smart move for dodge to leave, and invest in their new viper and get it rolling on the road coarse... good thinking dodge, cause nascar aint changing anytime soon, they aint figured it out yet...:bonker:

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh and one more thing, smart move for dodge to leave, and invest in their new viper and get it rolling on the road coarse... good thinking dodge, cause nascar aint changing anytime soon, they aint figured it out yet...

+1. I usually watch two NASCAR races a year, the one at Sonoma, and the one at Watkins Glen, although at the Glen they watered it down by eliminating the 'boot' part of the course. I know safety is a high priority, but I don't care for the "I think I see a raindrop, red flag, everybody pull over" philosophy. They should take a page from F1.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Dodges finished 2nd and 5th at The Glen today.

Not bad for only having two cars in the race.

Roger will have a hard time doing that with Fords!!

Dale.Volz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodges finished 2nd and 5th at The Glen today. Not bad for only having two cars in the race.

And what a wild finish that was at Watkins Glen! Almost makes me wish Dodge/SRT would continue racing in NASCAR. Nah - I don't really mean that. This was the first NASCAR race I've watched in 2 years.

Check out the video below of the final few laps. This will surely rank as one of the all time best finishes in NASCAR, if not professional auto sports.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950