Does a Gen 4 hood blow heat?

8mywal8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does a Gen 4 hood blow heat in the cabin as bad as a Gen 3?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Gen IV hood is 28% more efficient at cooling the engine than the Gen III hood. Since changing to the Gen IV hood from the Gen III hood, I have not noticed any inside the cabin change. But, I did not have the problem you are referring to with the Gen III hood. Unless you have your AC set on heat or defrost, you should not be getting heat blowing into the cabin from what would seem like the hood area. Something is not right. Is there a hole in your fire wall somewhere?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob your experience is not consistent with most. Stock Gen 3's experience heating from many perspectives such as heat behind due to the crossover, heat from below due to the catalyst temps but most of all heat coming in by the A pillar and windshield as the high temps escaping the rearward biased hood vents came right inside. The vent location was too far rearward to provide mixing before that point. Window up is noticeably cooler.

I have had many convertibles over the years and the Gen 3 is the first I have ever had that you could feel the hot air stream right by the outside mirrors. In hot weather I had to put the roof up to keep cool. In Michigan that is incredible.

OP
OP

8mywal8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a tremendous amount of heat coming from the vents in the Gen3 hood. The heat goes between the mirror and right in the cabin. I had some stainless pieces made and blocked the vents off and it completly fixed the problem. I want to get a Gen4 hood but do not want the same problem as the Gen3.

spmorgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hope not, I have a Gen 4 on order to replace my Gen 3 so I can KEEP THE TOP DOWN and be cool...it is crazy to have to put the top up to stay cool in 70 degree weather.

Shawn

Reaction score
Notice:
Vipers are brutal high performance machines that may be too hot, crude and dangerous to operate for some types of people. Please proceed with caution before engaging such a car if you are comfort oriented...

But if want the ride of your life just get in sit down and shut up!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a tremendous amount of heat coming from the vents in the Gen3 hood. The heat goes between the mirror and right in the cabin. I had some stainless pieces made and blocked the vents off and it completly fixed the problem. I want to get a Gen4 hood but do not want the same problem as the Gen3.

I am a bit confused. If the problem has been fixed and the vents are blocked off which were the source of the problem then what difference would a hood change make? Please explain. Also, is there any danger to those vents being blocked off when the windows are closed? Mark J. - please comment. Also, please state whether you have a coupe or a convertible. Thanks in advance for your reply.

certs_210

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am a bit confused. If the problem has been fixed and the vents are blocked off which were the source of the problem then what difference would a hood change make? Please explain. Also, is there any danger to those vents being blocked off when the windows are closed? Mark J. - please comment. Also, please state whether you have a coupe or a convertible. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Bob,

I think what he's trying to say is that the vents on the Gen IV hood are much farther forward on the hood than on the Gen III. So the heat coming out of the Gen IV vents dissipates more effectively before it can be blown into the cabin than the heat coming out of the Gen III vents, which are right up near the windshield.

As for the question, I have the Gen IV hood on my '05 convertible, and don't notice any heat blowing in from those vents. However, mine had the Gen IV hood on when I bought it, so I can't compare to any experience with the Gen III hood.

OP
OP

8mywal8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a coupe. The gen4 hood is a lot different. Better looking in my oppinion. If it were to create the heat problem I would keep my gen3 hood. As far as I am concerned if you are just street driving you do not need the vents. Engine temps did not go up and car is not lifting.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh Yeah, Heat blows in from my '05 with the top down and the windows down. At first I found it quite suprising. Now I bask in it's warmth. :)

For me at least, it's not a constant heat, just every now and again when the wind current is right. I guess you probably wouldn't notice it in a coupe.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Notice:
Vipers are brutal high performance machines that may be too hot, crude and dangerous to operate for some types of people. Please proceed with caution before engaging such a car if you are comfort oriented...

Chrysler, You should hire this guy to come up with great ads for this car.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a coupe. The gen4 hood is a lot different. Better looking in my oppinion. If it were to create the heat problem I would keep my gen3 hood. As far as I am concerned if you are just street driving you do not need the vents. Engine temps did not go up and car is not lifting.

Thanks for the data clarification. I think that some of the posts above referring to convertibles may not be directly on point. I also have a coupe. And, since I am in Miami, heat is a relatively constant companion of everyone that lives and drives here. Since I had the stock exhaust replaced by a Corsa catback before the car was delivered, heat from that source was never an issue. I drive with the windows closed and the A/C, which is more than ample, on. The only time I drive with the windows down and the A/C off is at the road course while tracking the car. I also may turn off the A/C during a lawful acceleration test. I did not experience the heat you refer to when I had the Gen III hood on and I do not have it now with the Gen IV hood. I hope this data is helpful.

I would still like to know if there is any danger associated with sealing off the vents in the manner you describe when the windows are closed. Issues: 1. Adequate internal ventilation. 2. Possible creation of pressure differential and it's effect, if any, on the windows at high speed. Do I know that these really are issues? No. But with respect to the second one, we recently had a thread on window implosions and it occurred to me that a pressure differential between the inside and the outside of the car might cause such an event.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the difference between the genIII hood and gen IV is significant. In one of the engineer forums they mention that they figured out a problem with the genIII hood that the vents were too far forward. They mentioned that is was a design problem for which they weren't happy about it. It was one of thoses issues that form didn't equal function. That is why the genIV hood has been changed. I have been struggling whether to go with the genIV hood but I must say I really like my GenIII hood. As with all my other mods it is just a matter of time.

Does a Gen 4 hood blow heat in the cabin as bad as a Gen 3?

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went with a Gen 4 hood and not only do I think it looks better, the heat transfer difference is significant.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob thank you for the explanation.

Heat coming from the rearward biased hood vents, venting hot engine compartment air, comes in through the open window at the front and over the windshield (obviously only on convertibles). Having improved exhaust has no affect on this hot air flow.

The Gen 4 moved the vents forward, improving mixing of the hot air in the surrounding air prior to reaching the cabin, eliminating the issue. Blocking the vents on either car would result in decreased flow through the radiator, which could adversely impact engine cooling, reduces overall air flow under hood, which could increase underhood temperatures excessively, and add to front end lift. All bad changes.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you GR8 ASP. Until your post, I did not understand that Smy was referring to the hood vents themselves. He also must be referring to a condition which occurs only when the windows are open since he drives a coupe.

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Notice:

classic :rolaugh::drive::headbang::2tu:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still remember the first summer with the SRT back in 2003. Beautiful weather, 80's, and I had to drive roof up and A/C on during the Woodward Dream Cruise because it was stifling hot inside. That slow crawling speed was the worst. I would swear the interior temps were upwards of 120 F even with the A/C on full before the wife ordered me to put the top up.

So Mark, I do not know if you ever had substantial use of a Gen 3 in inner city locations, but your statement comes off a bit high and mighty. Especially for those of us that have owned Vipers for their entire duration and do appreciate the rawness.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just Omaha humor. After the late corn harvest, they get randy out there.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So Mark, I do not know if you ever had substantial use of a Gen 3 in inner city locations, but your statement comes off a bit high and mighty. Especially for those of us that have owned Vipers for their entire duration and do appreciate the rawness.

Rule #1 - VCA forum's prerequisite for new membership or sustained membership: You cannot take Mark or Chuck's humorous sarcasm personally.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang