Does The Drone Bother You?

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was getting ready to make a long drive to see a new SRT Viper and then I read the thread about the awful drone. If you have spent time driving the new Viper, please describe your impression of the exhaust and drone. I drove a Gen 4 with the complete Belanger system and the drone really bothered me. Thanks

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's clear to me that some are not affected by it. I definitely am. It's not a huge deal, but I literally love everything else about the car. Nothing even close to an issue for me but the drone. That said, I would still buy the car with the drone, it is not enough of an issue for me to pass on the car. However, if I can buy a Corsa exhaust to solve it, I will.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
drone?

Welllll...I have a GenII with corsa exhaust, intake and no cats....yeh I hear it in the lower gears, but if I get on the highway, once I get it into 5th gear it disappears.

but then again I drive by myself so it's not like I am looking to have conversation with anyone or listen to a stereo.

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I love the sound of my viper's crooning.....that's one of the things I love about VIPERS in general....the sound..no ROAR !! of the engine!

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never heard the drone people are talking about. Maybe it is something you have to be on the hghway to hear? And I am young with good ears so I still can hear a wider range of frequencies which becomes less so as you get older.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never heard the drone people are talking about. Maybe it is something you have to be on the hghway to hear? And I am young with good ears so I still can hear a wider range of frequencies which becomes less so as you get older.

How many miles did you drive on your 'test drive' ? 5....maybe 10. Obviously that time was not spent at speed on the highway

Really....you have good ears ? Then hear this. You have virtually no real life experience with the Gen V, or any other Viper for that matter, so why don't you just leave the feedback to those that actually know what they are talking about.

Matt

Last edited:

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
drone ??... the only drone that bothers me is the drone of the ******* complaining about the mythical drone..
Its a Viper with side exhaust..Period..it is what it is...

People have been complaining about a drone since the Viper came out... and after 10;s of thousands of miles on Multiple Vipers from every Gen ...the exhaust sound has never been an issue for me

I've driven Vipers from south Florida to Toronto and back ( the long way) and the exhaust sound is Viper Music..

To the people who complain about the drone..Go buy a fricken Lexus and leave us alone....

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
drone ??... the only drone that bothers me is the drone of the ******* complaining about the mythical drone..

People have been complaining about a drone since the Viper came out... and after 10;s of thousands of miles on Multiple Vipers from every Gen ...the exhaust sound has never been an issue for me

I've driven Vipers from south Florida to Toronto and back ( the long way) and the exhaust sound is Viper Music..

To the people who complain about the drone..Go buy a fricken Lexus and leave us alone....

I like the way you think. The louder the better as far as I'm concerned.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh boy, an arrogant know-it-all good ole boy. Thanks for your valuable contribution to this thread.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I 'pussyly' ordered my Corsa cat back from JonB at Partsrack (Yess ! We can now mention this great vendor's name without being banned, I hope), for $1,295.
The car is so good that I want to make it as perfect and enjoyable as it can be. Just as if there had been a 'Drone free exhaust' option on the order form.
SRT came out with a much improved Gen5 Viper, and I want to go one step better than factory in more ways than one........a few more mods to come in the next few weeks ?

strykergts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I'd like it even a bit louder. My old Z06 with akra cat back droned more. Hell, even the slp exhaust on my wife's camaro drones more than the Viper. The drone does not even compare to my buddies 458 with the exahust valves disabled

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was getting ready to make a long drive to see a new SRT Viper and then I read the thread about the awful drone. If you have spent time driving the new Viper, please describe your impression of the exhaust and drone. I drove a Gen 4 with the complete Belanger system and the drone really bothered me. Thanks

Really?
I have a Gen 4 with the complete Belanger header exhaust system.
No way is a new Gen 5 is as loud or has more drone as the car your drove.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend with a 06 has a complete Belanger system on his car and I rode with him 2.5 hours back from Chicago last week.

For comparison when he's accelerating he is louder than a stock '13. But at highway cruising speeds the '13 is louder. But the deciding factor isn't the exhaust, it's the gearing. At 75 in 6th gear the 06 is coasting along at like 1500 rpm, way below the drone zone. Where as the 13 will be right in the worst of it. He and I easily held a conversation for 2.5 hours, in the 13 at that speed for that long you have to talk above the drone.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I wish 6th gear were a little taller. I'd have been fine with 1-5 being the only acceleration gears. But, top speed is achieved in 6th now. So, I get why they did it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper