Does the Motons have the same problem as Penskes

W. SKAF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I just lowered my Viper at Valaya Racing and they used The Penske setup, I love the way it looks it's awesome, but when I picked it up and took it on the highway, any dip I hit at high speeds the rear tires will rub the fender liner, they suggested that I stiffen the setting which I did and by the way it's not easy to do, I had to remove the wheels because the canisters are mounted on the lower control arms unlike the Motons are usually mounted under the hood and in the trunk, anyhow it still hits but not as much so I’m going to stiffen the setting even more. So is that only with the Penske setup or Motons as well? and is it caused by the springs or the shocks?, please advice.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well my Buddy, who posts as ILLSMOQ on here has the Moton's. He gets tire rub on his 19/20" setup in the rear too. I was going to go with the Penskes thru Valaya too. But now after your post I may stick with motons. I never thought about the ease of adjustment on Motons vs the Penske's.

OP
OP
W

W. SKAF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike, I really never knew that the Moton canisters are installed under the hood and in the trunk until i just saw the post titled "Slammed Vipers" and there is the picture of the White SRT10 showing the Moton Setup but i could be wrong maybe you can change the hose the connects to the penske canisters with a longer hose, I'm not sure if i can do that that i will check with Valaya Racings but i remember that he said the shorter the hose is the better for reaction time.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How low is the car? It might just be too low.

You should be able to relocate the canisters. If the lines are too short you can have longer lines made. Then the shocks will have to be refilled. I'm sure Valaya can set them up how ever you like.

But it's probably not worth the trouble unless you think you are going to be changing the settings often. After I found the settings I preferred, I haven't touched them since.

Springs could also be the coulprit - what spring rates do you have?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I actually dont have the Motons installed yet. My buddy Kurtis ( ILLSMOQ) has them. I almost got talked into Penske's by Valaya. But I here less complaints with Motons. So Im just going to spend the money and go with Motons and have my buddy Kurtis install them like he did his.

For what its worth, he doesnt even have 1" of clearennce and his rub is minimal only on a big bump in freeway. Otherwise , his car is dumped and rides great. Only problem is speed bumps.haha

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your tires are rubbing because you lowered the car. It does not matter if you have Moton or Penske. Three things that will keep the tires from rubbing, raise the care back up, get stiffer springs/sway bar or go to 18” wheels. I love that lowered look and I still run my stock wheels on the street, so I have 900# springs on the rear, comp sway bar but I still rub occasionally especially with two people in the car and I hit a big dip in the road. But for the most part I am OK. Before I upped the springs I did rub holes in the inner fenders, so I riveted an aluminum panel in there. Replacing the panels are not cheap.!! That took care of putting a hole in the liner but it does still rub occasionally.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do the Motons improve handling in terms of street and occassional street use or are they mostly for lowering the car? I would love to drop mine a bit, but would only spend the money if it also had a possitive effect on handling and ride.

OP
OP
W

W. SKAF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The reason why i went with Penske setup because Ted @ Valaya racings swears by them and like them better then the Motons and looking at all these posts it seems to me that having the Motons at a softer setting will also rub bu the Motons have the location of the canister to their advantage in the hood and the trunk i like that better unless i can extend the line, i will find out

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Motons have the location of the canister to their advantage in the hood and the trunk i like that better unless i can extend the line, i will find out

That type of thinking is like buying a car because it has a really cool stereo. Ted & Al @ Valaya know what they are talking about. You can mount the canisters anywhere as long as the line is long enough. You can also bottom out your car with Motons as well. You need to check the settings. If your car is run on the street then the canister wouldn't need to be adjusted all the time, so they would most likely be mounted on the control arms of the car. Penske shocks are the "standard" for racing. Although the Comp Coupes come with Motons, the top running Comp Coupes in world Challenge are running Penskes. Either one is superior to stock, but you need to have them adjusted properly. Having them too soft will cause you to bottom out, having them too stiff will cause the car to be jumpy. Replacing shocks is not a simple bolt on.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no rubbing at all with my 19/20s. I also think my rear is lower then any viper i have seen posted here. Thanks to this incredibly stiff new DLM kit.

OP
OP
W

W. SKAF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well, i just checked the setting and it's all the way on number 6 which my understanding that is the stiffest possible unless i'm wrong, could someone with a Penske correct me please or could it be the type of springs or not really, i'm just thinking it's the springs

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much space do you have between the tire and the fender liner?...take a look. If there is not much clearance it will rub. The suspension does need to move.

If you have a lighter spring rate, the suspension will move easier.

Also driving habits and roads play a factor. So for someone to say their slammed viper does or doesn't rub is subjective.

OP
OP
W

W. SKAF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
by looking directly from the side there is about 1 1/2 inches of clearence between the tire and the fender but there is atleast 4 inches clearence inside from the top of the tire to the plastic liner.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
What tires / wheels are you running?

What spring rates are you running?

I have Moton Club Sports all around on my SRT at this time and have no rubbing issues at all. They are set at 3/4 compression / rebound. The ride is much better than stock and so is the handling. Moton makes a very nice product. My spring rates are 500 front / 800 rear.

Some factors that cause rubbing assuming your spring rates close to mine are:

1) Wheel and tire size and offset. I run 18 inch Forgeline SX3's most of the time which have a bunch more offset than stock (they stick out farther). With these wheels on the car and a track alignment (more camber - they tilt in at the top), you need at least three fingers between the tire and the fender lip which is about 2.5 inches with the car empty. Any less and with 2 passengers, the tires rub.

2) With my stock tires on Copperhead wheels, I can run 1.5 inches of fender to tire clearance without any problems. Stock wheel offset is considerably less (they don't stick out as much).

You really need to check wheel offset, but it sounds like the car is too low for the tire / wheel combination and alignment that you are running.

If you have only 1 to 1.5 inches between the fender lip and the top of the tire with stock tires / wheels and no track alignment, you will likely continue to rub on the big bumps at speed regardless of your shock set up.

Also, your springs may be a bit light.

Dan

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run Motons and have zero issues, but I have Bilsteins on my 911 and the tire rubs when I hit a good sized dip. The 911 is way lower than my Viper so I am thinking you just need to lift it up a bit in the rear.

OP
OP
W

W. SKAF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan,

Im not sure on what spring rates I'm running but i will check on that with Ted on Tuesday and currently I'm still running the original wheels and tires and the tires are not rubbing the fenders but they are rubbing the inside top plastic liner.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sounds like your car is just too low.

OP
OP
W

W. SKAF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok,

The car is not low at all compared to other lowered vipers i see, but anyhow, i took it Valaya Racings today and Ted said that he will fill the shock up more, not sure what that is but that is what he said and he said that the spring rates are 550 front and 850 rear

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
550 front and 850 rear is plenty stiff for the street.

The Motons have an air chamber that allows you to add firmness to the shock. I would guess that the Penskes are of the same design.

The recommneded pressure on the Motons is about 175 lbs of air pressure to start, but can be adjusted up to firm up the ride (to 300 lbs I think) and of course down to soften the ride.

You should ask Ted what the air pressure was in your shocks before he added air and what it is now.

Good luck.

Dan

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had penskes put on my 03 by Valaya as well and the car felt great except for bumps on the highway, where it bottomed out and jolted like a b&*&*(*h

OP
OP
W

W. SKAF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, i took it back to Valaya today, will see what happens and i will let you guys know what was the problem, and by the way, the freeking thing drive like a Buick on the freeway, rear end is very soft, i hate it, when i hit a bump the rear ends goes up and down 5 times before it stops like a stupid low rider Impala. I hope that Ted will fix it, i got my trust in him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang