Does your factory RT hardtop scuff the paint off your sports bar??

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2000 RT/10 with the factory hardtop, when I put it on I hear rubbing noises behind me the first 10 miles and then it stops. But when I take the hardtop off it is rubbing the paint off my sport bar. I have taken it to Dodge TWICE in 8 months and both times they said it was an adjustment and they fixed it and both times they did not, I am ready to take it in a third time any suggestions, will they fix the paint on my sport bar? Thanx for any help!!!!!!

Ron (SoCal Rebell)

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that most RT owners are now using 3M paint protection film to eliminate the paint damage. Of course you will need to get it painted before applying the film.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:
Where can I get this 3M paint protection film, I've never heard of it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are now a Rebell with a cause, as your 2000 RT-10 comes standard with a mylar strip to prevent just this problem. If you have only paint on the bar, I would suggest you discuss with your dealer that it ( the protective strip ) must have inadvertently been forgotten when it was built. They should be able to get it repaired easily, and hopefully your concern will be taken care of.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Bill, upon furthur examination I DO have the protective strip about an inch wide towards the front of the sport bar all my wear is on the BACK of the sport bar about 3/4 on an inch from the end on the passanger side, any ideas?????

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call this number at 3M and they can tell you where in your area you can get the film: 877-666-2277. They have a small kit no.84911 that is 12 in. x 75 in. for about $60. You can use the rest of it in other places, like the sill covers, behind the rear wheels, head light lens, back of mirrors, etc.. We use it everywhere here in Colorado to prevent rock damage to the paint.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32