Don't call it an elemental sports car

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had Vipers in the past. I have an SRT now and I'll have a Viper for a long time to come. In short, I love Vipers. But, many people call it a bare bones car or elemental sports car and mock those who'd like to see more go fast technology put on the car. That makes no sense whatever.

The SRT weighs what? 3600 pounds? It has a 6 disc CD changer, a roof that folds neatly and easily, a trunk that's pretty big for a car of this nature, a full contingent of carpeting, ABS and so on.

Now, I don't knock any of that stuff. I wish it had more. But, it's not a bare bones car. Godawful fast? Punishing? Great handling? Velcro-like stopping power? Sure, all that and more. But, most of you wouldn't own a Viper if it were really a bare bones car.

If you want a car that is fairly close to bare bones, check out a Lotus Elise. 1900 pounds, seats that don't recline, although the driver's seat (only) does adjust fore and aft, a radio but no CD, wind up windows and manual door locks locks (although power windows and door locks are available as options), and a top that works pretty much like an erector set (and doesn't seal worth a dang). It has an air conditioner, but it's mostly just a placebo, and nothing else that comes to mind which doesn't make the car go faster or handle better. Most of you wouldn't drive an Elise for any longer than it took for the novelty to wear off even if someone gave you the car for nothing. Not that the Lotus is the be all and end all of anything. I mention it only because it is pretty close to being what many of you people say you want, a bare bones sports car.

So, what's wrong with giving the Viper technology that will make it go faster or handle better? How would going faster and handling better degrade the experience? Take all wheel drive: it would improve acceleration times enormously because traction is the real problem at launch and for a while thereafter. Or a real sequential manual transmission (as opposed to a paddle operated automatic)? Or traction control tuned to allow better corner exits rather than to keep us all safe. Hell, F1 cars are faster with traction control, so why would it be a bad thing for Vipers?

If your answer is that shop worn old saw about "elemental sports car," re-read a couple of paragraphs above. The Viper isn't an elemental sports car. It weighs too much and has too much equipement already that isn't necessary to make the car go, stop and steer to be called a bare bones car. Hell, ABS made the difference between a car that took as long to stop as a mile long freight train (pre-ABS Vipers were tested by the car mags at 140 ft + from 60-0, as I recall) and the SRT with ABS is one of the best stopping cars on the planet at any price (some tests get it at 99 feet!).

wartornwarhorse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper seems to be a nice balance between the two worlds, of "bare bones" and the hich tech. I would also like to see a few things like cruise control, and something that talks to you like a robot!!!

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Phoenix SRT... The Viper's lugnuts have more torque than the lotus Elise bug.:omg:
The SRT-10 weighs in at 3350lbs with PS2's ... install some lightweight rotors and rims you're sub 3300lbs.:2tu:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Elise... a respectable car, and a ripoff of what made the Gen1 rt/10 so rebellious as a sportscar.

The problem? It's small with nothing in it. It's unoriginal as a concept, and borrows an engine from Toyota. What's the problem? Ran out of engineers? What makes small things cool is how much you can pack into it while not losing any power or usefulness. Id be more impressed if the elise had every contraption known to man and STILL pull respectable number despite its size. It's a "No Duh" sports car: lightweight, and stripped bare. Put a Neon engine on a shopping cart and it'll be more "elemental" than an elise.... AND outperform it (at least in a straight line). :smirk:

What makes the Gen 1 Viper tower in comparison is its size. BIG and unapologetic and STILL kick the @$$ of 99.44% of the eurotrash/japcrap out there. By your definition, the Lotus is not anymore elemental that an SRT... ABS, carbon fiber, fiberglass. All hail the Gen 1's... the TRUE modern elemental sports car (And the F40)! The Elise can kiss my shiney metal cats.

PS- this is the VCA... take the Elise love fest to their boards. :rolleyes:

PPS- nannytech are for sissies. guess you fit the bill. :rolleyes: :poke:

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Elemental, traditional, throw back, etc. , I believe you are just missing the concept. The idea behind the Viper is to keep it as much in the driver's hands and control as possible in today's enviroment. It does not have power seats, it does not have traction control or active handling, it does not have a power top, it does not weigh anywhere near what you suggested, and it is a bit more of a challenge to drive than many others. That is what it is all about, as I don't relish having so many controls that it feels like my Driver's Educ. teacher is sitting next to me controlling the vehicle. The car is all about being a bit on edge, tactile for the driver to the max, and not about aids for controlling every little whim of the road, weather, etc. It is a blonde that you find out a week later has one heck of a brain, and may be a bit more to handle.........but that is the fun in life and what many of us enjoy. If you want something that you can completely control, adds no spice to living, then the other choices may be for you.

It is to many the Harley mentality...............if we have to explain to you why you should get a Hawg instead of a Gold Wing, ya jest don't get it.

Finally, not even sure of your Lotus analogy, as it can have virtually all the amenities of the Viper in a smaller package, and they are both driver's cars ----- key word , obviously is driver. When the 08 comes out I think you will amend your entire statement , as this vehicle lacking in traction control, awd, paddle shifters, etc. is gonna smoke the lights off cars triple in price --- the archaic Giant Killer comes!!!!:headbang:

Last edited:

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen I Viper I think we can all agree was a bare bones car. No ABS, traction control, no air conditioning (at least on mine :D ), no real windows, etc., etc. easily made it a bare bones car for it's time. And that's what I believe the SRT-10 is it's a bare bones car for it's time. Name a production sports car (not a kit car) made today with any where near 500 hp that doesn't have traction control. Hell I can't think of a sports car that doesn't have traction control at least as an option. (Even the Lotus Elise offers it as an option) After that name the cars that don't have an automatic transmission as an option. (Very few come to mind)

Hell just naming a car that costs over 50k that doesn't have power seats, power top, and other hosts of amenities would be a hard task.

The Viper SRT-10 is a bare bones car for its day. It is focused on performance above all and is an absolute driver’s car. When your in a viper it's just you and the car no nanny tech traction control system, no 4wd, no paddle shifter, just you and the Viper. And that's how it should stay.

P.S. Lotus Elise’s are slow I have lapped good drivers at DEs in lotus Elise’s.

Here I am putting a beating on one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2YpfUa3dZFg

Last edited: