Don't replace your PCM just because battery stud is "stripped"

crossram440

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don\'t replace your PCM just because battery stud is \"stripped\"

Hello, I just wanted to post this to hopefully save some owners a bunch of money. I am a fairly new Viper owner (only 4 months now) and have enjoyed touring through different sections of the Viper forums. I just came across an issue in the Archives that needs adressed. It may have been updated some time but it can't hurt to say it again. The problem occurs with the positive battery stud under the hood located at the PCM, this main feed from the battery can have a tendency to losen or strip from overtightening, removing the battery feed over and over from storage or just agressive Mechanics, My 97 when purchased would shut off intermittantly with no warning, I mean everything, complete electrical cut out. Then it would return back to normal. sometimes in seconds, sometimes in hours. It turned out to be a loose connection on this stud going down into the distribution fuse block. When trying to remove the battery cable, the post did indeed just spin. It was loosing contact in the Panel. However the PCM and fuse block were NOT replaced and a $3.00 fix was the solution. I had to cut off the nut with a Dremel to remove the cable. The top of the box was removed and exposed the stud from underneath. The stud is not tack welded on and is only bolted to its position. It can't just be retightened though since the current stud gets destroyed while cutting off the bolt. I Went to the local hardware and purchased a Stainless Steel bolt to replace the current stud. The old stud was removed and the new Bolt was inserted from the bottom with the appropriate lock washer. The bolt was then tightened to the power distribution plates with a few drops of red locktight on the nut for good measure. Replace the top of the Fuse Block and the nice stainless stud is now tightly affixed ready for use. The car has never shut off again. It took a little over an hour and only $3.00 to fix. Hope this helps someone.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Don\'t replace your PCM just because battery stud is \"stripped\"

This probably would have helped my situation about a year ago. Dealer replaced the PDC at a cost to them (thier fault for over-tightening the stud) of +-2000.00. At least I got a new PDC out of it, but it could have spelled trouble if it hadn't been noticed in my driveway rather than in the middle of nowhere.
Good tip.