door diffs. between Gen1 and 2

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So design wise what difference is between Gen1 RT/10 doors and Gen2 RT/10 doors.Did they change the shape at all or what would be the install problems between putting gen2 RT doors on a Gen1 RT?

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've also been wondering this, and plan on attempting the swap at some point. From what limited info there is out there, I think the doors will bolt on, but you will need the windshield frame for the weather strip and such (to seal the windows). I also believe the sports bar to be different too.

SNKEBIT(Mitch) on the "other board" converted his RT/10 to a GTS using the rear panels from a GTS. He calls it his GTX. :) Very cool project, but I would imagine all those panels would be very costly. (considering doors alone are 1500 a pop)

I'm sure someone has done the door swap from a Gen 1 to Gen 2, we just need to find them.

Let me know if you find any useful info.

Later,

OP
OP
C

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one has windows & door handles. :rolaugh:

Nick

ah yes the obvious but does the door with a handle have a different setup for the latch?Is it in the exact same spot or is it moved up an inch or down two ?With the windows in the Gen2 will i have to change anything on the windshield side of the door or add anything to it in my Gen1?Will i have to go and add some system for the window setup or is it all hand crank?and if it is hand crank then what system will work to make it power system?Yes the obvious is funny but then it gets deep.:D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I remember way back when - you started posting about the build and I though it was great to do that. Something I would have done myself if I had less money and I respect that. Since you've been running it for quite awhile now it obviously was a good job.

I really like working on cars and I like modifying them. It's an art form and yours is one way to 'build' a stock Viper. Although many people have issues with mods because of a few rip-off tuners and dumb people doing mods ... all concept cars come from guys like you and me that built those cars from scratch.

Lol, other than the color and GTX, your car looked a lot like the Viper GTS coupe concept at the front of the Banquet hall.

Ted

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember way back when - you started posting about the build and I though it was great to do that. Something I would have done myself if I had less money and I respect that. Since you've been running it for quite awhile now it obviously was a good job.

I really like working on cars and I like modifying them. It's an art form and yours is one way to 'build' a stock Viper. Although many people have issues with mods because of a few rip-off tuners and dumb people doing mods ... all concept cars come from guys like you and me that built those cars from scratch.

Lol, other than the color and GTX, your car looked a lot like the Viper GTS coupe concept at the front of the Banquet hall.

Ted

The color is kind of my trademark. :D And I called it GTX because it wasn't a true GTS. Didn't wanna PO the pureists.:D

BTW, I would do anybody's car with power doors on a gen. 1 if they wished. It would work just like factory!:2tu:

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been contemplating this for my Gen 1 for the last four years. There are very significant differences to deal with.

1) Latches are different, where they latch is moved on the door jamb
2) The seat belts attach to the doors on the Gen 1, versus coming from the rear bulkhead on the Gen 2
3) The weatherstripping is different, I think it can be modified to fit the Gen 1, but you need to get the weatherstrip from a Gen 2
4) The wiring is easy
5) The windshield frame is the same dimensions...but there is an extra piece on each side of the Gen 2 to hold the weatherstrip
6) The sport bar pad is different, the sport bar is the same, the pad is different

I have only located one person that had completed the mod, many years ago, they sent their Viper to a company who did the conversion so he did not have any facts he could share. If you do it, take lots of pictures and share.... if I coudl get a set of doors cheap I'd try it...I just don't want to spend $3K on doors to only find out it can't work....

OP
OP
C

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been contemplating this for my Gen 1 for the last four years. There are very significant differences to deal with.

2) The seat belts attach to the doors on the Gen 1, versus coming from the rear bulkhead on the Gen 2

Our viper seat belts dont attach to our doors in our Gen1 they start from the center of the car by the speakers and then attach on the floor by the door.Is that what you meant.I believe in the states the belt connections are different then the ones in Canada.I may be way off and misready the above point.

And yes if i tackle this job it will be done by a pro but i will for sure be taking alot of pictures.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah yes, Canadian Vipers do not have the "passive restraint" door mounted seat belt anchors. In the US the Gen 1 Vipers have the seat belts mounted in the doors and they "latch" next to the console......

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1) Latches are different, where they latch is moved on the door jamb

Wrong!!!! They mount in exactly the same place. The doors are the same except for the window and outside door handles. They bolted right on my 94 and closed.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah yes, Canadian Vipers do not have the "passive restraint" door mounted seat belt anchors. In the US the Gen 1 Vipers have the seat belts mounted in the doors and they "latch" next to the console......

Get the belts from a gen.2 and the "t" section and move your latch to the other side of the seat.:2tu:

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There must be something different about your 1994...because between my 1996 and a Gen 2 there is an extra piece on the door jamb that is not on mine.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's my Gen 1 has an extra piece where the seat belt attaches inside the door. There is a door anchor point on the bottom door sill, where a "catch" is mounted to the bottom of the door and fits over the "catch"..... I don't have a picture.....and clearly cannot express what I am attempting to share.

Do you have any pictures of your dash...do you still have the Gen 1 dash? If you do, how did the door panel line up?

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's my Gen 1 has an extra piece where the seat belt attaches inside the door. There is a door anchor point on the bottom door sill, where a "catch" is mounted to the bottom of the door and fits over the "catch"..... I don't have a picture.....and clearly cannot express what I am attempting to share.

Do you have any pictures of your dash...do you still have the Gen 1 dash? If you do, how did the door panel line up?

That "catch" I removed from the sill. You don't have to, but I did, it won't function any more.
I had the gen.1 dash in for a while, fit the doors perfect. I opted to put a gen.2 dash in to move the speedo and tach for better viewing. I grafted a gen.1 glove box section into the gen. 2 dash area where the airbag sits. So now I have a gen. 2 dash with a glovebox.:2tu:

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been "eyeballing" this conversion...I think I can fix the fit of the glass to the windshield frame without removing and replacing the windshield frame...... I just need a complete Gen 2 door to mock it up.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
By SNKEBIT on the Alley "LMAO!!!! That's exactly what happened! I pulled my car in the shop and in 4 hours I had it pretty much stripped down for the conversion and she walks in and "looks" at me and says, " just put the car back together and go buy a GTS then!!!!!" [stomps away]....... Too late Honey, I'm commited"

That's ****ing hilarious!!! You'll have to post some more details about this mod!!! I'd love to see more on your twin turbo set-up. I saw this car last weekend in Minnesota on the fall cruise and it's ****** Soup!! VERY NICE!!!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been "eyeballing" this conversion...I think I can fix the fit of the glass to the windshield frame without removing and replacing the windshield frame...... I just need a complete Gen 2 door to mock it up.

You could maybe get the pieces for the windshield posts from Paul Scharf, he might have some wrecked ones with the weatherstrip still good.:2tu: