Door s won't unlock or car stay running???

RJSGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Door s won\'t unlock or car stay running???

Ok had the Viper out last Saturday night with no problems what so ever, but when I got home went to lock doors and set alarm via keyfob and nothing happened. I figured no biggie I'll just pick-up a new fob battery. So today I put new battery in fob but nothing. Rear my manual and tried the reset procedure and nothing. Windows were up and car locked up tight. Next I opened rear hatch with key and climbed in to open em. door release (alarm didn't sound). Tried that procedure again but no luck. Tried my spare key (don't know if bat in it is good) and still nothing. Started car and it will start but not run. Checked all related fuses under dash and under hood, but they look good. I put a battery charger on it just incase since I heard these cars are tempermental that way and will try a little later. Looked in all my paperwork that came with the car the battery is from 2004 (not long time) and only has 4000 miles on it. Any suggestions would be appriciated while the charger is on it Thanks Ron

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Door s won\'t unlock or car stay running???

I had a similar problem. The alarm kills the battery when set. I keep the car on a charger and just lock the garage door. I don't use the alarm unless I'm out of the house.

OP
OP
R

RJSGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmmm so when alarmed it's discharging? Don't like that, anyone else? Also I've been checking the charger and the battery was deffinately drained for some reason. Doors still wont unlock unless you do it manually. :curse:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had an identical set of symptoms on my former 1999 GTS. The cause was the car's battery not the key fob battery. It was weak and about to crap out. You sound like you have the same problem. To get it started, detach the battery cable and reconnect it after a few minutes. Then go through the key fob routine. Then try to start the car. If this procedure works, it is definitely the car battery on its last legs. Replace it.

Bob

OP
OP
R

RJSGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply's and BINGO!!! The battery was bad. Although it took a charge it couldn't handle a load. Pulled it out and put in a new one, next nice day I have it running I'll throw a meter on it to be sure it's charging correctly also. Ron

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dudes! How bad does the alarm actually drain the battery down. I installed a new one a couple months back but would prefer not to have any surprises as a result of my religious use of the alarm system. OHY!