Double Clutching

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
double clutch or heal-toe?

Double clutch was really invented to reduce wear for non-syncromesh transmissions (which we don't have). A buddy of mine had a '41 chevy pickup in high school where it was required.

Heal-toe is a technique intended to sync the engine speed to the road speed, so adhesion isn't affected during downshift. One can accomplish the same thing with a double clutch, but with two strokes of the peddle it takes longer.

Don't double-clutch, but would heal-toe (at least while on track) if my g*d da*n gas peddle was still attached.
crying.gif
I don't think there is any advantage for everyday driving.

-Eric

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started practicing in my car when I read about the techniqe and now do it regularily by force of habit, doesn't really do much on the street except sound cool and make people wonder what the heck you are doing.

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sometimes double clutch my Boxster S when cruising because the tranny is a bit stiff (B&M Shifter) and it seems to ease the downshifts into 1st and 3rd. Never on the track though as there just isn't enough time IMHO.

No problem with Viper tranny on downshifts. Just a heel/toe single clutch throttle blip to match revs is all that is necessary.

I used to double clutch all my downshifts and had to re-teach myself to not do it anymore because it just wastes time on the track.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Rent Bullit and watch it. All the info you need.</FONT f>

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
I can't believe that more of you aren't hip to double clutching. You will save the synchronizers major wear and tear if you properly double clutch on the way down (shifting). The purpose of double clutching is to match the shaft speeds internally in the tranny. If you rely on the synchronizers to do this, it will eventually wear them out (it may take a while). As far as on the track goes, you MUST to it so that the rear wheels don't momentarily lock up or slow the car down (when the clutch is released) which would then create a momentary braking situation while you're downshifting. When this happens and you are about to enter a turn (which is probably why you are downshifting), it will throw the (hopefully) delicate balance of the car off, and into the weeds you go, tail first. Healing and toeing is just a method you use to operate the brake and double clutch at the same time. The toe of your right foot presses on the brake while your heal operates the gas while the clutch is (momentarily) out and the gearshift is in the neutral gate on the way through the shift (obviously, your left foot is operating the clutch). You can control all three petals at the same time with your two feet. I learned to drive this way when I was 16 and it is second nature. It can be for you too! I double clutch every car I drive, both upshifting and downshifting. I've never needed a transmission job. Snakes are particularly happy when you double clutch and thank you profusely on the track. Happy motoring.