Drilled / Slotted Rotors for GEN3

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who makes 2 piece cross drilled / slotted and maybe zinch washed rotors for GEN 3?
I was hoping for Baer Eradispeed Plus rotors but I was told Baer will not be producing these for GEN3.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you do any serious/hard driving stick with slotted or solid rotors. cross drilled have a reputation for forming stress cracks under hard driving conditions.

viperrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I contacted Baer back in February of this year regarding their Eradispeed rotors. A quick response from "David" at Baer advised that they would offer the Eradispeed Plus rotors in spring of this year at a cost of approximately $1,200 for both front and rear. Bill

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Z06 drilled rotors are already coming back to dealers for cracking ...

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do not want drilled rotors or 2 piece ones as they are prone to cracking on the street. Brakes and rotors are under completely different situations on the street and track. On the street the temps vary a lot where as on the track they tend to get hot and stay there.The heating and cooling cause the cracks that are being found on Z06's.

We offer light weight rotors that are dimpled and slotted, along with dust free brake pads, which may be seen at http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are 2 piece rotors out there for vipers but I do not believe they are safe on the street. They have been used on motorcycles for at least 10 years and are called floating rotors.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i still don't understand.

you said YOU

"I do not believe they are safe on the street. they have been used on motorcycles for at least 10 years and are called floating rotors"

this is not any kind of factual information i have heard/read of issues with cross drilled and have never heard or read of issues with two piece rotors. can someone else please chime in here

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I contacted Baer back in February of this year regarding their Eradispeed rotors. A quick response from "David" at Baer advised that they would offer the Eradispeed Plus rotors in spring of this year at a cost of approximately $1,200 for both front and rear. Bill

I contacted Baer back in February too. Not only did I contact them, but I put an order back in Februrary. I got a call yesterday telling me that they pulled the plug off on GEN3 Eradispeed Plus rotors for a while. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
there are 2 piece rotors out there for vipers but I do not believe they are safe on the street.

This is the first time I'm hearing this. I like 2 piece rotors. They cool much better than the 1 piece rotors and I've used 2 piece rotors before on Z06's and other cars. No problems at all.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to add to the subject why do Porsche fit drilled discs??

Could never answer that one myself on the track the brakes were great, and I never had a disc crack.

Any ideas????

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just to add to the subject why do Porsche fit drilled discs??

Could never answer that one myself on the track the brakes were great, and I never had a disc crack.

Any ideas????

The reason Porsche or Ferrari or some other car manufacturer put cross drilled rotors on their cars is mostly for the looks. It just looks better. Cross drilled rotors won't crack if they are manufactured high quality. They are just more prone to cracking than the slotted ones.

The Saleen S7 comes with slotted rotors stock. Now, that's purposeful.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ebc

10539a-med.jpg

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is also a difference whether or not the hole in the "cross drilling" are actually drilled in or cast into the rotor when the metal is formed, from my understanding. I've been told that if the drilling is done after the casting instead of in the casting it stresses the metal more.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
those are the tgd discs.. this site limits the pixel size of the pics u can upload.. if u want i better quality pic that shows clearly the 4 partially drilled aspect of the tgd i can send if u pm u're email

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have StopTech 2 piece rotors that I run on my SRT. I have gone through 2 set of drilled rotors and 2 sets of slotted rotors. I started out wit the drilled ones mainly because they dissipate heat and gases the better than slotted. (basic physics, not opinion). The problem is that they are more prone to cracking, any time there is a hole, stress builds around the perimeter (more physics). They work great and look very cool. It is basically a matter of intended use.

Brand new drilled rotors after a 3 day track event (front wheels) were cracked everywhere, brand new slotted rotors after 3 day event cracked a quarter as much, I had pictures but I could not find them..

My drilled rotors cooled faster than the slotted ones, more surface area, more air flow, physics again. Not hard to understand that the faster cooling/heating around stress areas equals more cracks. I get 4 times the use from the slotted ones as I do the drilled ones. I don’t toss rotors for wear, just for cracking.

If I had the budget, I would run drilled all the time and just change them after every track event. The StopTech’s aren’t cheap so I use the slotted. My experience has been at the track where I brake extremely hard. I run slicks and a very aggressive race pad, so I can really stand on the brakes. With street tires and street pads you would not see it as bad or as quick. If you are just ripping around the streets then I can’t imagine there being a problem running drilled on the street. Again it really depends on what you do.

I don’t know what Astro is talking about “unsafe” except all his post are advertisements so take it for what is worth. Like with the exotics, the drilled definitely look very cool. The other benefit to the 2 piece, aluminum center it that is saves something like 35 lbs of rolling weight, lose the stock wheels/rims and you are at 90 lbs give or take.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The EBC's look nice and they are cheap compared to the other options but I guess they are 1 piece rotors.

Are the stock rotors on SRT-10 1 piece or 2 piece?

The Stoptechs are $1,900 for slotted and $2,100 for drilled for all 4 rotors. Too much $$ for what they do. The stock SRT-10 brakes are very good. I just want nicer looking rotors.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
more physics for you solid rotors have more surface area contact with the pads(friction material) which also will give you better stopping distances. The LeMans and Daytona winning Vipers all had solid rotors. If your doing it for looks forget it. If you use two piece rotors to save the unsprung weight and do road racing do it. If you have enough money that it does not matter if you go through a set of rotors do whatever you want!

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have StopTech 2 piece rotors that I run on my SRT. I have gone through 2 set of drilled rotors and 2 sets of slotted rotors.

The other benefit to the 2 piece, aluminum center it that is saves something like 35 lbs of rolling weight, lose the stock wheels/rims and you are at 90 lbs give or take.

Wow. :eek: You dumped $8,000 in 4 sets of Stoptech rotors total. For much less than that money, you could have got the Baer custom 6 piston brake system for your SRT-10. Baer makes a complete 6 piston brake system for GEN3 front and rear with 15" slotted front rotors and 14" slotted rear rotors for the extreme track queens.

I lost the stock wheels and tires a while ago. ;)
Are you using Brakeman #3 pads for track and/or street?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SylvanSrt is quite correct in that drilled rotors will not stop as quickly as dimpled/slotted or solid rotors. The EBC rotors that we sell are slotted with the dimples cast in them. They are a one piece rotor just like the stock rotor is one piece. Shipping weight on the EBC front rotors is 57lbs and the rear rotors are 52lbs. these weights include the box they are shipped in.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The surface area I am referring to is for cooling, the holes provide more surface area for air to cool the rotors. I could not begin to know what the Lemans and Daytona people do, 12-24 hours of racing is a completely different situation, I won’t not insult anyone by guessing. All I know is what I have done and experienced.

I drive hard at the track and I go through a lot of rotors, the StopTech’s are expensive but they last longer than others that I have tried and they do a great job for me. I am not shopping around every other day for this rotor and that and I can’t be changing my set up for every weekend or I would not know what was going on. Every rotor that I have ever used has cracked, some more than others. Drilled crack first then slotted and then solid.

I run Performance Friction in the front and Brakeman in the back. I put EBC green stuff on for the street. There is a huge difference in braking between the PF and EBC but the EBC has much better dust control and I hate cleaning wheels. I generally don’t dive into corners or last second brake driving to work so the EBC work great. These are all choices and everyone has their opinions, these are mine. I love the drilled for me you can’t beat the look.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What brakepads are you guys using for track and street?

I want to go with pads that are both good at the track and street. It should hold at low temp too, low dust and not squeal much.

I'm thinking about going with Brakeman 3 or EBC Red or Yellow.
Any experience with these pads?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperGMC is totally right in that StopTech is the best. One has to weigh the cost as to what you are using the rotor for. For racing they can not be beat. The best street/track pad is the RBC Redstuff as they are made of ceramic and leave very little dust. They are on my website if you need more information. EBC Greenstuf is organic and fine for the street only. I would stay away from EBC Yellowstuf, on the street, which is kevlar, as they will not heat up properly in a street application. They are a race only pad from what EBC tells me.

Hope this helps