Driving impressions between 2008 and GTS

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know they are supposedly night and day but I am curious if anyone can share driving impressions between 2008 and 1999+ GTS. I had a slightly modded 2002 GTS and am curious how they compare or perhaps don't compare at all...

Some of the items that were highlighted in the earlier posts were:

1. Different exahust note
2. Smoother idle
3. Much much improved shifting
4. Less lurchiness in low rpm
5. Certainly, more power
6. Cooler cabin

I am most interested to see if the 08s are more friendly in terms of day to day driving.
Thank you

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am most interested to see if the 08s are more friendly in terms of day to day driving.
Thank you

Picked up my 08 Coupe on Feb. 4th, and as of Sunday (the last time I looked at the ODO), the car had 1023 miles on it. It is my daily driver and the ONLY issue I have with the car is getting in and out of it when parked between cars, since I can't open the door wide enough. The ride is fairly stiff and bouncy, but it doesn't bother me.

Jason

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jason,

Can you better describe "bouncy". Also, would you say it's more bouncy than a GEN 2?

City, this is the first Viper I have ever driven, so I couldn't give a comparison. Just to clarify, bouncy = transmits road imperfections to the car, but its not in a bad way. The car is solid, and the shocks are probably stiffer than what I'm used to. Stiffer than my old S2000 or my brother's 2005 M3 Keep in mind, I own a Lexus also, so take bouncy for what it's worth :rolaugh:

Jason

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 08 drives like a mercedes compared to my Gen 2. The Gen 2 is a truck. A fast truck, a fun truck, an exotic looker, but still a truck. The 08 looks like a Vette, draws little attention and drives like a refined sports car. Mind you, when you hit the gas from neutral throttle at 4,000 rpm it hits like a turbo and might kill you. Or if you back off the gas quickly with the much higher compression ratio it might off you. Aside from those it's a daily driver compared to the 2.

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 08 drives like a mercedes compared to my Gen 2. The Gen 2 is a truck. A fast truck, a fun truck, an exotic looker, but still a truck. The 08 looks like a Vette, draws little attention and drives like a refined sports car. Mind you, when you hit the gas from neutral throttle at 4,000 rpm it hits like a turbo and might kill you. Or if you back off the gas quickly with the much higher compression ratio it might off you. Aside from those it's a daily driver compared to the 2.

So what is wrong with your GTS????? have you modified it, mine and others I've been in don"t drive like trucks......

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find the ride between these 2 of my vehicles similar. Only difference is I can hit the bumps in the Super Duty w/o breaking or bending anything.

I think my GTS rides like a truck if you hit a bump.

I think my truck rides like a Lexus if it's on glassy pavement.

You must be registered for see images

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what is wrong with your GTS????? have you modified it, mine and others I've been in don"t drive like trucks......

My Gen 2 has stock suspension, stop tech brakes. Heads/cam, headers, no cats. It's been kept in excellent shape by Dan Cragin and Archer Racing. Every component has been maintained and/or rebuilt to as new. It has thousands of track miles, but still drives like when I got it.

You haven't driven an 08.

The Gen 2, even modified has low end torque like a truck, with little top end. The suspension is rough as heck compared to an 08. Gen 2 tend to have rattles and wind noise as well. I love my Gen 2. I'm not selling it, just keeping it around to look at. About 20 Viper owners, Gen 1, 2, and 3 have driven my 08. The reaction is: damn, I was hoping it wasn't this good. Now I am going to have figure out how to buy one.

The 08 goes click into the right gear. The 2 is vague, even with billet shift forks. It is a massive leap in every way.

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda off topic, but how about opinions of those that had a SRT-10 or coupe that upgraded to the 08? I had been kicking around the idea of getting a white Mamba or copperhead, but how much improved is the 08 (Gen IV) over the 03-06s(Gen III)?

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To upgrade the car you would have to put in the new quaffe style rear end, the new gear box, the new twin disc clutch, the entire engine and then start tuning it to those components. I'm told the suspension and brakes have been improved, but I can't give you those specs. It would cost you far more than buying the new car and it probably wouldn't drive the same. The 06s are great cars for the money, but not worth re-engineering.

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're right I haven't driven on 08, my comparo is only between my 97 and 04 mamba, the one that rides harder, has wind noise and little rattles is my 04, btw the ride got better w/KWs, as far as power goes yes GTS pulls from the bottom like hell. .
My GTS has no rattles no wind noise and when it's that time of month my wife says the ride doesn't bother her boobs as much (if that's any mesurment to go by)
-maybe my GTS is just an exception-

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
News flash! Your 04 is a vert, it will have more wind noise.

Your fine tuned skills of mesurment are unmistakable.
Thank you, I was wondering what the fuzzy material on my roof was.:(
I was refering to wind coming in both side windows around the lower corners by the mirrors, not your tipical vert noise, anyways sorry for taking this slighly of topic..

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tipical vert..... this slighly of topic..

It's late at night, you seem to be slurring your words.

Try the 08. If you don't have an owner around who will let you run one, go to the SRT experience and run one there. They are a huge leap forward. Dodge has done an amazing job.

7-LITRE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find the ride between these 2 of my vehicles similar. Only difference is I can hit the bumps in the Super Duty w/o breaking or bending anything.

I think my GTS rides like a truck if you hit a bump.

I think my truck rides like a Lexus if it's on glassy pavement.

You must be registered for see images

Ditto!!:headbang:
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc