Dyno 2morrow Expectations?

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So do you guys believe that tire size and diff ratio will affect RWHP and RWTQ??? For adluts you guys are throwing around some pretty childish insults. If the dyno is calibrated to a specific gear it will read corretly when the pull is done in that gear. What about cars that don't have a 1:1 gear ratio? Many new cars have a ratio that's close to 1:1 but it's not exact. What about sportbikes? Their 6th gear is still above 1:1, my R1's 6th is 1.269:1 and Busa is 1.043:1....so you can't get RWHP numbers for bikes eh?

And why the lack of faith in Mustang Dynos? Just because they (consistently) read lower than Dynojets you reject them? It doesn't matter what the numbers say, it's the change before and after modification that's important. Every dyno is different so you can't compare side by side anyway. I don't know what your problem is.

Ray, $65 for 3 baseline pulls with AF readout. Let's get a Viper Dyno Day going. I know 7 other Viper owners in Tucson so we could have some fun.

Rob

TheMeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ray, $65 for 3 baseline pulls with AF readout. Let's get a Viper Dyno Day going. I know 7 other Viper owners in Tucson so we could have some fun.

Sounds good! Let me know.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will admit that I COULD be wrong and if I am, I'll be more than happy to apologize. When PKH2552 gets back from their dyno day and reports back, we'll know for sure. I bet his power numbers are about 410 RWHP.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So do you guys believe that tire size and diff ratio will affect RWHP and RWTQ??? For adluts you guys are throwing around some pretty childish insults. If the dyno is calibrated to a specific gear it will read corretly when the pull is done in that gear. What about cars that don't have a 1:1 gear ratio? Many new cars have a ratio that's close to 1:1 but it's not exact. What about sportbikes? Their 6th gear is still above 1:1, my R1's 6th is 1.269:1 and Busa is 1.043:1....so you can't get RWHP numbers for bikes eh?

And why the lack of faith in Mustang Dynos? Just because they (consistently) read lower than Dynojets you reject them? It doesn't matter what the numbers say, it's the change before and after modification that's important. Every dyno is different so you can't compare side by side anyway. I don't know what your problem is.

Rob

The gear you dyno is usually determined by the power that you pull. The difference between 3rd and 4th is minor but it is there, especially on turbo cars they love load. It does not have to be 1:1 but you want to be close.

Mustang dyno's are great, but there is an if. And that is they are very difficult to calibrate, and I do mean very. AEM's mustang dyno took at least 1/2 a year to get working properly, and countless visitations from the Mustang dyno people. In the end they installed a bunch of new and improved parts to make it accurate. And once they did it was within several hp of the dyno jet they used prior to the mustang. But prior to that it was like all the other mustang dyno myth's people have come to believe.

The reasons to use a Mustang dyno are more apparent if you are designing parts and doing vigorous testing rather than a max power pull. They are too far and wide to get into, on here lets just say it is a far better product for R&D testing.

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree that turbo cars will have a greater change because of the extra heat energy available in a higher gear. The car I was referring to earlier is my twin turbo 300ZX, I dynoed that in 3rd and 4th and the hp/tq was within 3-4 of each other. Those numbers are so small that it could be attributable to a number of variables. I have seen cars put down numbers farther apart doing back to back runs so there you have it.

Our dyno has been up and running for over a year now so I like to think we know what we're doing. ;)

Ray, I will get in touch with the other owners and try to setup a date. I'm thinking sometime in October/November when it's not so damn hot.

Rob

PKH2552

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No problem at all. I'm sure that Baz will be on the case sorting out the dyno day, just as soon as he gets back from his holiday in Florida. If someone can host a photo for me, I can email you the screen shot of the 3rd gear pull, and when the 4th gear pull is done, there will be a clear comparison, with no modifications done in the meantime.

rraulston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My last Dyno pull at Rob'z shop showed me 20 hp less with the 3rd gear pull than with the 4th gear pull. Back to back. Personally, i would rather have real world HP numbers on a Mustang. Dyno-jet numbers are quite often higher. But that isnt the issue. You always do pulls on the SAME dyno so as to see if you are gaining HP on various mods or loosing. Switching dynos is quite useless......they ALL read differently.....Ill go again Rob.......lets get the PHX peeps down and make a day of it!!! Ray

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32