Dyno results for Hennessey Heads & CDI Headers

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put all the "fun" discussion in a post on the main board. For you techies here, the lowdown:

Stock: 407.8 RWHP, 442 ft/lbs
Add smooth tubes & K&Ns: 415 RWHP, 448 ft/lbs
Add Belanger headers & exhaust: 431 RWHP, 475 ft/lbs
Add 3" high-flow cats & MOPAR ECU: 438 RWHP, 485 ft/lbs
Add Hennessey heads, T&D 1.7 roller rockers, swap Belanger headers for CDI headers, switch back to stock ECU: 515 RWHP, 525 ft/lbs
Add a pair of #40 NOS jets and #26 liquid propane jets (to keep it very rich): 586 RWHP, 649 ft/lbs

Woo Hoo!

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:
I put all the "fun" discussion in a post on the main board. For you techies here, the lowdown:

Add Hennessey heads, T&D 1.7 roller rockers, swap Belanger headers for CDI headers, switch back to stock ECU: 515 RWHP, 525 ft/lbs

Woo Hoo!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What happened when you used, if u did, the Mopar ECU?? Did you lose power or have you not tried it??
Great numbers by the way.

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't try the MOPAR ECU this round. Previous experiments were inconclusive -- it seemed to neither gain nor lose significant HP. I may try it on this car as well, but I'll have to drive around with it for a while first to let it run its adaption course...

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I changed headers at the same time I changed heads & rockers, it's impossible to separate out the effect each had. Wayne will be putting CDI headers on his otherwise stock motor, so we'll have an interesting data point once his dyno numbers are available. I will say that I prefer the sound of the Belanger system (a rumble/roar sound) to that of the CDI system (which sounds like a big BIG Honda engine revving waaaay too high). The Belangers are also somewhat quieter than the CDIs, though again the higher-compression heads contribute as well. I suspect the Belangers make more low-midrange (&lt;3,500 RPM) while the CDIs are tops from 4,000 to redline, but I have no proof at this point.

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Compression ratio unknown; compression test went from 165 to 195-200, which is about 10:1 per APEX. Car runs geat on CA pump gas, no detectable detonation during dyno runs (and we were listening for it!)

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate the offer -- I actually already own a MOPAR ECU, and will do a couple dyno tests to see how it compares with the stock ECU now that I've got heads on the car...

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take that 10.5:1 number with a grain of salt. When HMS did my heads they told me that they were at 10:1. When my head shop CC'd them he found that they were at 9:1 because of the work John's head guy did in the combustion chamber which he was so proud of. Maybe he didn't realize that you can mill heads to increase compression, but if you then take meat out of the combustion chamber you start to bring the ratio back down. Good numbers though Treynor!

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ben -
Great horsepower numbers. I've been following your posts and it sounds like your doing great!

Hopefully you'll get some "seat time" soon on the track and then the real fun begins.

Keep us posted,
Doug

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug -- thanks, and I'm as happy as a leetle girl
BURNOUT.gif

Barring something unexpected, I'll be up at Sacramento Raceway next Saturday for some serious dragstrip action. I will, of course, post results as soon as I get them.

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treynor why would you go back to the stock ECU with the head upgrade. Does not the mopar ECU give you more fuel which makes more power. Please get back

thanks

Toronto_ACR

Add a pair of #40 NOS jets and #26 liquid propane jets (to keep it very rich): 586 RWHP, 649 ft/lbs

Woo Hoo!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treynor why would you go back to the stock ECU with the head upgrade. Does not the mopar ECU give you more fuel which makes more power. Please get back

thanks

Toronto_ACR

Woo Hoo!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reaction score
The MOPAR ECU has no performance value. Dan Cragin has a Stage 6 package which includes an engine with Mods similar to Ben's with the addition of a mild cam and better rods and pistons (Engine built by Caldwell) Tuned by CDI and Dan and Chris. The MOPAR ECU is of zero value. Larger TB's are a waste of money. You can get good HP with the bolt on's that Ben is using and there are many other combo's that are lower cost or more emissions friendly. Let the stock V10 breath (extrude hone, port polish, better air induction, cam) and exhale with headers. But bigger throttle bodies and the MOPAR ECU are a waste of money with no performance benefit. Give Dan Crahin a call to answer any additional questions. He has used most of the aftermarket performance products and can help you select the system of products for your application.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad,

I believe that Ben has been using Apex Motorsports in Santa Clara.

He also has had Ted May do some work on his car. Ted is the Viper tech for Steven's Creek Dodge. He also has a shop in San Jose named Valaya Racing. I take my car to Ted whenever I have work done. He's awesome.

-Matt