Dyno #'s for my DLM Stage 1 Viper

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dyno #\'s for my DLM Stage 1 Viper

Got back from the dyno today with my Doug Levin Motorsports Stage I viper set-up. Car is stock except for DLM Stage I and Borla exhaust (cat back). Car also has water injection.

Car is a 99 RT/10 with 7700 miles on it. SC was installed months ago, but I never got over to the dyno.

Best run was 557.5rwhp and 597.2 rwtq .

Boost was between 8 and 9lbs at peak. Belt slipped a little on the last run (to 8.1 lbs) but was still the best run of the day.

The torque # passed 500 at 2500 rpm and peaked at 3700. It then stayed between 550 and 595 until about 5000 rpm. slight dip between 4100 and 4600... could have been the belt slippage or the small amount of black smoke out the back.

I'll try to post the graph when I get this scanner thing working over here.

Overall I am quite pleased. Especially since the numbers beat out a friend of mine who witnessed this with his Venom 650 weeping in the parking lot...
smile.gif

If anyone wants to check out my car or the 650, we'll be at the GA VCA meeting on Sunday. At least I know we can entertain ourselved talkin' smack if the meeting drags.

Take care!

Joseph

DLM Stage I Smack-talkin' fast drivin' almost 560hp pushin' lane changin' little girl screamin' dog waggin' car cleanin' side-sill yellowin' Georgia boy smokin' Silver 99 RT/10 !

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Dyno #\'s for my DLM Stage 1 Viper

Wow, that's quite strong! Doug as usual is sandbagging with his "around 600 BHP" quote for the level I system
smile.gif
The torque in particular is insane; the best heads + cams + intake + headers + etc. cars make nearly that much peak HP, but less peak HP and especially less low-midrange TQ. Sounds like an ideal street package!

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joseph, was that with or without cats? The dip could be from the water jets. Any pictures of your system?
I'm very, very happy with my car too.

Max

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Max -

This is with cats.

Funny about water jets... When I did the first run, I was pulling out some timing and it was clear that the car was running rich (lots of black smoke). I suspected the water jets as well at that point. #'s came out to like 530 and 565 with much timing taken out and richer that Ted Turner.

I'll try to dig up my digital camera to get a pic or two of the system. #1 priority right now is getting the graph scanned in.

BTW - The 2nd run (the original #'s posted was from the 3rd run) were within' 4 hp and 1 tq.

Take care!

Joseph

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WEEPING???

Man, I had you covered on the RWHP.....

I was impressed with your runs...and glad to be there.

I still think I can show you my tail lights
smile.gif

Good thing about your curve was that if you get some headwork done, you will be over 600 at the tires in both HP and TQ. That curve started to drop off pretty steep past 5500.

Car sounded G R E A T !!!!

Regards,

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ahhh, but torque is king...

Great numbers guys... and that was a STAGE 1 !!!

Can't wait to get mine back!

Gerald

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very NIIIICE numbers. According to the original post, that is without headers. If that is correct, there should be a nice increase from just opening up the rest of the exhaust. Any thoughts on this Doug?

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And just think - his car does not even have headers.....

Looks like NOS is my only hope! No, wait, there is another.....soon to be disclosed ;)

Joseph, I defer to you. You are the new(temporary) king of Atlanta.

Regards,

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I got to drive Doug's Black ACR that was super charged...it was very impressive! I didn't get on it, but I could tell it was a horsepower pumping ride.

Gerald..I think you should have about 635 gerbil power in yours...I'll race you when you get your car back. I bet I'll win even if I only do 25mph! I think with your rep..you will stall at the lights! Ha!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joseph,

You think those are good numbers? Get your belt tightened a little. I remember after a few months, I would just snug mine down a little and wow... I bet 10k your RWHP will jump another 25 or 30..

Again.. Great numbers..

Gerald

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You picked up roughly 150 rwhp,how much was the out the door cost?

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by TurboSnake on 10-31-2001 at 06:21 PM</font>

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Y'all!

Thanks for the congrats! The system is definitely da' bawls!

To answer a few questions...

This is without headers. Now the real question is: If this was a near-perfect air/fuel curve, if I remove cats (or go w/ high flow) and add headers, will I now end up with a lean condition? I suspect I may, though only another trip to the dyno will truly tell.

On the first run, I deliberately ******** the timing to play it safe. After seeing all that black smoke and only 525 hp (560 tq), I felt pretty good about eliminating the timing retard.

There is no doubt in my mind that if I tighten that belt down, I'll have a bit more power. The boost curve as well as the graph (which I can't figure out how to post) both demonstrate that. And on my 3rd run (best) I was only getting 8.1 lbs of boost where the 2nd pass was a solid 9.0 lbs.

After yesterday, I think I may be getting greedy. Time to make some calls to get me some headers...

BTW - Martin - Your spoiler rocks! If anyone is looking for a used autoform spoiler for an RT/10 in Silver, I am going to sell mine to replace it with the Mopar. No nicks. On for 1 year. But after seeing the mopar yesterday, i gotta have one!

Regards,

Joseph

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well if Scott P's level 3 went mid ll's with no converters what do you think your level 1 with converters will run?

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Scott I was making a statement, not refering to you, just your car.But since you want to chime in let me say slow car or should I say slow race car, now I wouldn't of mentioned it but since I like be honest I want to ask you a question? Why are you mentioning my name just because I stated a fact about your car while asking a question to another board member? Is it because your embarrassed by the slow times your car runs or your pathetic driving, or the fact that you paid so much to go so slow? Or is it the ridiculous price your asking for it on ebay $100,000.Listen I would be embarrassed too, but I can promise you I will not make derogitory statements about you if you ask one of Heffners customers how fast his level 3 will go if Furmans level 1 goes 10.50's because I am sure you will just be asking a question as I was.So lets not get personal.
P.S. I see after track day it didn't take long for that plug fouling viper to go up for sale did it. Don't blame you.

Reaction score

Congrats on your dyno runs Joseph!
I'm most pleased you are happy with our Supercharger System. You are always a pleasure to deal with, thanks for putting your faith in us!
I read your dyno graph and I suspect you had *small* amount of belt slip.
On your Level I, you may note the boost hit the high number, but the belt can slip on it's way to max boost, hence, a "lazy" dyno graph is evident. Also, maybe next time allow a bit of cool-down time between runs.

Ben - Your car is under major reconstruction and hopefully soon.......... We know you'll be as proud of us as we are of you!

Dan - Your ACR will be home soon. This car is no less than Spectacular! I wouldn't mind owning it myself
smile.gif
. Really!

Max - Hi Max, long time no speak, Joseph has stock cats with only Borla exhaust.

Anthony - Water injection is from the old school, been around for a long time. We've played with it for a while on stock compression engines. It's injected by a boost reference, preset to inject at any given boost level.

Matt - Thanks for the description, we use only water, it removes heat best.
Using alcohol is ok, burns cool, but blends as a fuel additive.

Martin - "Temporary" King of Atlanta?
smile.gif
. Our man has room to go
smile.gif
Why do we hear such nice things about you? Must be because your a great guy! Awesome car you have, stay well.

Scott - We miss having your car to showoff at our shop, and you bringing breakfast in the AM wasn't too bad either. Keep on smiling!

Chuck - How have you been? Headers would be a good thing, but remapping and tuning would be another issue. Removing the stock cats and utilizing a better flowing converter would be a good start.

Ab - I'm glad you liked my "former" car.... Dan Black is now the proud owner of my ACR. It now has a revamped SC unit that will prove to be worthy of my stringent standards.

Gerald - Thanks for providing the first hand info. Your on the right track.
Your car is soon to be done. It should make good power, but you know I won't guess for you
smile.gif

FastFreddie - You have always been a loyal customer, it's our privilege to have you on our team. It's always a pleasure speaking with you. Other tuners only wish they had customers like you!

TurboSnake - My friend of forced induction! I can't always guaranty the highest HP numbers for Level I cars. Prices of our system professionally installed start at $13K. I know that's a lot of money, but it's a lot of product!
The Viper is more of a challenge to start with and I have to mirror it's integrity.

Best Regards and thanks to all,
Doug Levin

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anthony - 98 GTS:
What exactly is "water injection?" How does it work?

Thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Water injection is a form of detonation control. Sometimes a mix of alcohol and water are used. This also cools the incoming air charge. The system usually consists of 1 to 4 injectors, usually placed into the intake tube(s). They pull from a small resevoir which contains the water or water/alcohol mix. Many times the windshield washer bottle is used (without washer fluid of course). The amount and time that injection occurs is usually based on some form of boost reference.

Matt

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joseph your car sounds strong. My car has been running great too. I wouldn't change exhaust. Miri(my wife) likes my car the way it is without the noise. One of the reasons I went the sc route. For me louder is better but my wife only owns 51% of my car, hehe.

Tom

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WOW, funny stuff yet again.

I rec'vd an email about a week ago asking about the blown motors that your buddy S/C'd. Niiiiiiiice. And you slam Levin. I can't understand it...

Anways, your a good drag racer from the times I read that you post. Scott and I are begginners with myself never being at the track and running a 1/4 yet. At the track you would kill me Jamie, even on my 2001 Hayabusa with retard limiter, K & N airfilters, slip on aftermarket exhaust, etc. (the pro's run low 9's at 147.x) Why would you beat me? Cuz you're experienced and know how to launch. But my mph would KILL yours. Anyways, I would wager any amount of money that on a rollon from a decent mph that SCOTTP's car would ANIALATE your GTS in any distance... I know Scott likes to travel.. hmmmmmm and he's not that far from you... E.T. is 90% of launch, your cars capability and hp are mph...
Whaddya say buttercup?

Gerald

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Supercharged Vipers:

TurboSnake - My friend of forced induction! I can't always guaranty the highest HP numbers for Level I cars. Prices of our system professionally installed start at $13K. I know that's a lot of money, but it's a lot of product!
The Viper is more of a challenge to start with and I have to mirror it's integrity.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info,Doug.

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi, guys,
I was wondering what exactly is included in Doug's Stage I supercharger system? Does he use the stock pistons? Is compression ratio dropped? Is the supercharger intercooled? From what I understand, it consists of the blower itself, all the bracketry and hoses, and a water injection setup. Is there anything else?
Also, what does a Stage II add to that? Different blower? More boost?
Sorry for all the questions. It's just that I'm getting a Viper soon and will have about $25k set aside for mods, so I'm trying to explore my options;). Congrats on the great numbers, by the way!
Chris

Reaction score

TurboSnake - Your welcome, thx for asking. Ever have any questions, feel free to post or call!

Chris - You may call us anytime at your convenience, or give me a little lead way to post some info. Phone calls to our facility don't imply any obligations, your actually helping us relay viable information, thanks!

Regards,
Doug Levin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi